The Fiio X5 Thread
May 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #8,341 of 19,652

As I understand it, the clip downsamples hi-res. That's why it can equalize it.

Also includes all RockBox running hardware, as RB down-/re-sample everything to 44.1kHz by default, even on hardware capable of >16/48.

May 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #8,342 of 19,652
I just ordered a FiiO L12S fiber optical cable for $9.99 from ebay (currently 2 left in stock.)  Link below.  This particular ebay seller (authorized FiiO retailer) has some nice discounts on several FiiO and other audio products.  Anyone dealt with them before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-L12S-The-Unique-3-5mm-to-3-5mm-Fiber-Optical-Cable-Digital-Audio-Media-Wire-/301168147739?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item461f053d1b

May 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #8,344 of 19,652
Is it just me or the X5 cannot remember the last song and last position between power cycles if I play by browsing folder (instead of playing through the media library)?

If so, I think this is material for a ticket on Bugzilla.

My music collection is already neatly organized into a multi-level folder hierarchy. Meanwhile, the files themselves may not always have complete/correct/meaningful metadata and I don't have time to go through them and fix the metadata, so I can't rely on the media library scanning to sort the tracks correctly. I really just wish X5 can recursively play through the folder hierarchy, in order, and remember the last position. My trusty Cowon J3 did that wondrously. I believe that this is a use case that many users would find legitimate.

May 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #8,345 of 19,652
mullos wrote:
Man this had better sound better than my Rockboxed 5th gen iPod Classic and iBasso D6 otherwise the old saying a fool and his money are soon departed comes to mind.

Rockbox themselves advise that a Rockboxed iPod Classic will sound identical to a standard iPod Classic, unless you use EQ, in which case the Rockbox EQ is substantially better (I thought this was in their FAQ but I can't find it right now).  I can't comment on the D6's place in this though…

Sherwood wrote:
I hate that the player can't seem to display songs by tag info, rather relying on file name.  I can bulk rename my music files through JRiver, and include track number at the beginning, but the whole point of tags is to eliminate the need to name things perscriptively.  As it is now, every file on every album is alphabetical :frowning2:

I'm a little confused.  Are you describing the browse by Category mode?  I've looked at the official X5 interface walkthrough available on Headphone Scout, and they show him browsing to Album mode.  After choosing an album (from an alphabetical list), the interface is split into three columns, comprising (from left to right): a beamed quaver symbol; track no.; and what I assume is track title, though each title is appended by .flac so this may in fact be the file name.  It sounds like you're saying that browsing to Category > Album > Dark Side of the Moon would show me a list of the album's tracks ordered alphabetically according to the underlying filenames, and not by the Track # tag or even Track Title tag.  Is that right?  If so, that's stupendously awful!  Please, please tell me that's not the case. :frowning2:

May 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #8,346 of 19,652
  Is it just me or the X5 cannot remember the last song and last position between power cycles if I play by browsing folder (instead of playing through the media library)?

If so, I think this is material for a ticket on Bugzilla.

My music collection is already neatly organized into a multi-level folder hierarchy. Meanwhile, the files themselves may not always have complete/correct/meaningful metadata and I don't have time to go through them and fix the metadata, so I can't rely on the media library scanning to sort the tracks correctly. I really just wish X5 can recursively play through the folder hierarchy, in order, and remember the last position. My trusty Cowon J3 did that wondrously. I believe that this is a use case that many users would find legitimate.

I'm with you on that.

Here's my list of features that I would highly like in folder browsing:
 - Remember last position over power cycles
 - Play all:
     o Available at any folder level
     o This would play all files within the folder and sub-folders recursively (this would allow to play every album for an artist or play every CD in a multi-disc album)

My folder structure is as follows: <Album Artist>\<Album>\<CD # (if any)>\<Track name (composed of track #, title and artist)>

As it is right now, I have no way to play music by album artist because my tracks use the <Artist> tag for the track artist and in the case of collaborative albums those aren't always the same as the <Album Artist> tag. Which means that playing my music using the X5 artist category doesn't work for me. Maybe adding an album artist browsing tag could help.

May 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #8,348 of 19,652
I have bought an X5 and i can see my music on the folders but not on the library.

When i update and proceed to it  each time it failed before ending.and i have to reset it.

The sd card is ok (i can use it with others players) but with Fiio X5 except by folder i cant read my music.

Is there problem with the number of letters of tags or something like that ?

is there a solution to resolve that ?

I precise that i have update mine with the last firmware.

May 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8,350 of 19,652

Here's my list of features that I would highly like in folder browsing:
 - Remember last position over power cycles
 - Play all:
     o This would play all files within the folder and sub-folders recursively (this would allow to play every album for an artist or play every CD in a multi-disc album)

Especially from ROOT!!!!

May 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8,351 of 19,652
I have a quick question for all X5 owner (or anyone that saw the silicone case).

When I received my X5 I was surprised to see that the silicone case was black. What I mean is that it was as black as any black silicone product I ever seen. The reason for my surprise was that every picture I saw depicted the sillicone case as charcoal. Now, this could all be about the lighting on those pictures but I wanted to ask anyone that came in contact with it to confirm that I am not going nuts.

To be honest, the "charcoal" silicone case was a downside for me as I would've preferred it black... 
cool.gif

May 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #8,352 of 19,652
Glad I'm not the only one who needs this.

It appears that there are a few existing tickets related to this issue:
  1. https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6
  2. https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=38
  3. https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=101

Among them, bugs #6 and #38 are already confirmed. However, I'm not sure if folder recursion is in the tickets' scope at all.

I haven't had the chance to let X5 play through even one folder yet, so I can't really comment on how it deals with recursion.

May 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #8,353 of 19,652

I tried 2 X5s this week - one with 1.20 and the other with the new 2.0fw. I found it hard to definitively say that there's a sound difference, but I would definitely believe it because I found myself perceiving a smoother sound on version 2.0 with slightly better mids and imaging. It was a quick listen though so I'd hate to make a definitive statement.

I spent some time jumping back and forth between HPO and line out in my car tonight and am still shocked at how much better the line out is (after volume matching because it's much louder than the HPO at volume 100). I love the X5 for use with an amp (which is how I intend to use it so I'm a happy customer overall), but I'm very disappointed with the internal amp and don't understand what went wrong in the design of the X5's amp stage.

Fiio has done an amazing job of late with the E12 and E12DIY so is the X5's internal amp restricted by available space? @Joe Bloggs is there an explanation as to why the X5 HPO sounds veiled and with noticeably less bass than the line out (which is sublime!!)? There's obviously a marvellous signal coming from the DAC stage, but something is limiting the HPO quality. Once again, I'm not having a whinge and love the X5. I'm just trying to understand the design choices that might have been involved to better understand and appreciate the product.

Hi there,

thanks for your answer... On my X5 the 2.0 definitely sounds clearer and more transparent, but sometimes it also feels a bit too harsh. The soundstage is wider and not as deep as on 1.20 and also sounds not really right to me; too much at the sides directly located on the drivers and too less at the middle. So all in all I like the 1.20 a little more; the tonality is a little bit darker and with more intimacy and the soundstage seems to be correct.

I agree with you on the point of the two outputs: I use the X5 only on the line out with an external amp. The SQ directly from the X5 headphone-out ist not what you get from the line out. On the X3 it is the same but I think, it doesnt depend on the built-in headphone-amp. For me it sounds like the software is doing some things to the headphones out (like volume, balance, eq etc...) which it doesnt do to the line out, so there we have a clearer signal. 

Greetings!

May 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #8,354 of 19,652

- Play all:

Quote:
  +1 on that if not Playlist feature please

Especially from ROOT!!!!

I have created a bugzilla item for this. Feel free to vote/comment if you think this would be appreciated.

https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=128

May 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #8,355 of 19,652
  I agree with you on the point of the two outputs: I use the X5 only on the line out with an external amp. The SQ directly from the X5 headphone-out ist not what you get from the line out. On the X3 it is the same but I think, it doesnt depend on the built-in headphone-amp. For me it sounds like the software is doing some things to the headphones out (like volume, balance, eq etc...) which it doesnt do to the line out, so there we have a clearer signal. 

Makes me wonder, would I get better sound by introducing an in-line volume control between my headphones and the X5's line-out and avoiding the HPO entirely?  I don't need or want Balance or EQ adjustments, and that way I'd avoid the volume stepping too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back