The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #8,105 of 19,652
SO.....HOLY SMOKES!!! I just tried the SE846 with the X5/E12 combo for the 1st time and the pairing brings the SE846 to another level that I didn't even know it was capable of. I first tried the X5 with just the SE846 and the new firmware (2.0) and was pleasantly surprised to find it actually sounded better as many have said, more of a hi-fi sound I guess you could say. The real treat though was once I plugged the E12 in via the Line Out on the X5 and hooked up the SE846 to the headphone out on the E12. My preferred setting ended up being low gain on the E12 (plenty of volume on tap, no need for hi gain) and the bass boost off (though I had preferred it on with the LCD-2). One example of the marked improved I noticed was while listening to Police & Thieves off The Clash album (HDTracks - 24/96 download) it was a much improved experience. There was more separation between the instruments, the cymbals and guitar sounded like they had much more space between them now and I could follow each more easily. And the best part was the BASS!!!! The clarity, control and slam was greatly improved, and I already thought the SE846 through the X5 was about as good as bass could sound from a DAP & IEM, but this brings it into a whole other realm. I'm gonna have to keep listening but I'm glad I tried this, I didn't think the SE846 would benefit from the E12 as the X5 was more than enough power for it but with the E12 in use, it really is bringing out the best on these IEM's now. Awesome, awesome stuff Fiio!

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #8,106 of 19,652
SO.....HOLY SMOKES!!! ........

Glad you got the FW update working. :wink:

You described pretty much what I hear with the X5/e12 combo. It's a great match for sure!

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #8,107 of 19,652
Received my X5 today from Headphone Bar. I ordered last friday and they actually had one last unit left they could ship me (other X5 are due to arrive May 5th). I also ordered the E12DIY at the same time.

The people at Headphone Bar were really nice and communicative with me. If you are in Canada, I highly recommend them for high quality audio. The X5 was $ 359 with free shipping.

I think that those two will be a sweet little combo that should fulfill all my needs for hi-fi audio.

Currently downloading FW 2.0 and then I'm on to transfer all (nearly) my music.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #8,108 of 19,652
SO.....HOLY SMOKES!!! I just tried the SE846 with the X5/E12 combo for the 1st time and the pairing brings the SE846 to another level that I didn't even know it was capable of. I first tried the X5 with just the SE846 and the new firmware (2.0)

Congratulations on your firmware update :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #8,109 of 19,652
Any news on MP4Nation guys? Also, has anyone ever cancelled an order with them before? If so, how long did they take to refund your order?

I've read terrible things about MP4Nation (after placing my order unfortunately) especially that they take several days to process returns + bank processing times.

I've ordered an X5 well over a month now, and they've changed the stock arrival date 3 times now. Every other reseller seems to have the X5 in stock and ready to ship.

At this point I just wanna receive it, or cancel the order and buy it somewhere else. But I don't want them to play with my money for a week or so; $350 ain't cheap for me.

I get that it's a pre-order and stuff happens, but at least have the decency to let me know that stock hasn't arrived and give me the option to cancel or continue waiting.

I ordered mine from them on the 21st.  It just arrived today.  My two 128 GB cards from Amazon that were on backorder arrived the day before. I got my extra headphones as promised (haven't opened them yet).  My recommendation is to wait it out.  It's not their fault they are taking a while, they can only ship what product they have, they can't make it magically appear out of nowhere.  Due to their promotions they are probably selling a much higher quantity than most other sellers.  It's easy to get impatient but I can say the wait is worth it.

I updated to version 2.00 on the firmware after listening this afternoon with 1.20.  The X5 definitely lives up to it's billing.  AWESOME.  

I was patient and I am happy with MP4 Nation - got a good deal and they delivered VERY QUICKLY once they received stock.  There are a lot of people here bagging on various dealers here - someone was going off on B&H a while back and they are one of the best companies I have ever used and have trusted them for years.  My advice to anyone - just stick with your order where you have it and be patient.  It will arrive and it will be worth the wait.

To those canceling altogether because of any complaints about the X5 - I can only say your loss.  This player is an EXCELLENT value for the money, sounds like most the specialty dacs have some bugs, I say no big deal as long as it's handling the basics and improving with updates I'm good.  While some of you complain and buy nothing, I will be enjoying some great high res music with the X5.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #8,110 of 19,652
My green version of the firmware
L3000.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #8,111 of 19,652
  Received my X5 today from Headphone Bar. I ordered last friday and they actually had one last unit left they could ship me (other X5 are due to arrive May 5th). I also ordered the E12DIY at the same time.

The people at Headphone Bar were really nice and communicative with me. If you are in Canada, I highly recommend them for high quality audio. The X5 was $ 359 with free shipping.

Another thumbs up for Headphone Bar.  I e-mailed them and asked them to let me know when the X5s arrived.  They called me up on April 2nd to let me know the box had just been dropped off and I picked mine up the same day.

Two things I don't understand; all the negative, cranky criticisms of the firmware update process and the so called unfinished state of the X5, and as well, all the demands for more EQ settings. I'm delighted to have bought a product from a manufacturer who actually communicates with me as a user and asks for my feedback and opinions about changes and improvements to the firmware - How refreshing that is!

I bought my X5 to hear my music as it was recorded.  I'm very content with the native sound of the X5 on any of my listening devices. i have no interest in EQ and i doubt that I will ever use it. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #8,112 of 19,652
I got my x3 from mp4nation, and I can say they are a legit company.  I got my x5 from asavings though as mp4nation was out at the time.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #8,113 of 19,652
Another thumbs up for Headphone Bar.  I e-mailed them and asked them to let me know when the X5s arrived.  They called me up on April 2nd to let me know the box had just been dropped off and I picked mine up the same day.

Two things I don't understand; all the negative, cranky criticisms of the firmware update process and the so called unfinished state of the X5, and as well, all the demands for more EQ settings. I'm delighted to have bought a product from a manufacturer who actually communicates with me as a user and asks for my feedback and opinions about changes and improvements to the firmware - How refreshing that is!

I bought my X5 to hear my music as it was recorded.  I'm very content with the native sound of the X5 on any of my listening devices. i have no interest in EQ and i doubt that I will ever use it. 

For me I use my LCD 2 as a reference to listen to, no EQ. However, when on the go I take out my Vmoda M-100, but compared to the LCD the bass is waaaaaay too strong and it overpowers the mids and treble (which are pretty good when the bass is out of the way) so I like to EQ it down. On the flip side when listening in bed I can't use the LCD or else my wife would kill me because of the sound leakage so I bring out the AKG K550 (for comfort), but again it needs EQ to bring it in line. It can be tedious to do this manually each time so that's where more than one custom EQ preset would be nice. In the meantime I'll patiently wait for the custom EQ enhancement and enjoy this great player.

+1 for Headphone Bar. The best.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #8,114 of 19,652
  My green version of the firmware
L3000.gif

That's brilliant. Perhaps there should be a thread for FW cosmetics mods with images and links to the modified FW (at our own risk of course).

I'm not sure that I want to go fiddling with the FW file myself right now so this is really just a way of saying "Anybody want to share their work?" 
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #8,115 of 19,652
Congratulations on your firmware update
biggrin.gif

Yeah, thanks, didn't want to admit I was doing it wrong :) !! I was in the play settings, I think it just scrolled faster than I thought and I clicked play settings twice by accident, so I wasn't seeing he firmware update part. Good to go now though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back