The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #7,967 of 19,652
Looks like you may be one who can benefit from the high-res mp3 encoding and decoding of the new firmware that I talked about here

Running V2.0 already - maybe that's part of why it seems to've improved?!… & if the buzz around the recent X3 update is true, I imagine that trend will continue with the X5.

Spectacularly good job.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #7,968 of 19,652

DAP burn-in ? Are you serious ?  

It could be brain burn-in, too, but whatever the case is, he's enjoying it a lot more. Perhaps the unit I tested (with firmware 1.0) needed more burning in as I experienced some treble harshness, too. I attributed it to it being very detailed, exposing flaws on lesser recordings with a big bright spotlight....I'm glad he's digging it - I cringe when people feel like they wasted their money on any piece of gear.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #7,969 of 19,652
Firmware 2.0 (not beta anymore) has been officially served. You can find it here. If you find it too slow, here is a zippy link (*rename it back to "x5.fw" first).

I'll leave the detail for the official post that should come soon, but here are some of the improvement: DSD support, OTG support (mainly flash drive), new audio engine for mp3, wma, ogg, FLAC and floating point calculation (both should help to improve SQ). Better gapless, ID3 and album art support.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7,970 of 19,652
Firmware 2.0 (not beta anymore) has been officially served. You can find it here. If you find it too slow, here is a zippy link (*rename it back to "x5.fw" first).

I'll leave the detail for the official post that should come soon, but here are some of the improvement: DSD support, OTG support (mainly flash drive), new audio engine for mp3, wma, ogg, FLAC and floating point calculation (both should help to improve SQ). Better gapless, ID3 and album art support.

Full list of changes have been released on the official website
http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=100000161765444

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 29, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #7,971 of 19,652

i take it that this is the same v2.0 as released earlier this week?

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #7,972 of 19,652
2. The signal in (1) was encoded to mp3 in foobar using LAME 3.99 and re-imported to audacity. Note that the waveform was reconstructed pretty much 100% by the foobar-LAME output and the Audacity decoder, both of which support floating point decoding of mp3s. With the floating point decoding section of the new X5 firmware, you can get the same level of micro-signal retrieval as shown here in the digital stage. (of course, the DAC and amp still limit the final SNR available.)
:

:) I use lame from the command line on linux. Do you know the converters parameters? VBR or CBR?

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #7,974 of 19,652
I was able to change the default bg for now playing and for usb dac

so yeah this really works for x5 too!

Any creative minds here? who can make a black and green theme or just recolor please ^^ its just that red and black theme isnt really my thing and green matches the color of my akg q701 (sadly i don't have any talent when it comes to art)

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #7,975 of 19,652
Been lurking for a long time, thought I might as well start to ask silly questions :D

I was searching through the extracted X5 firmware, and found these lines in the default.ini...

<treble_adjustment_value>0</treble_adjustment_value>//-10,0,10
<bass_adjustment_value>0</bass_adjustment_value>//-10,0,10

Considering I cannot find these settings anywhere on the X5, nor has it been mentioned at all during this thread (that I can search): can I assume these are settings that don't exist or even work? I want to play about with them and see if they do anything, but considering I only got the device a week ago, I'm a bit hesitant to start mucking about with the firmware in case of bricking it this early on.

Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #7,977 of 19,652
Full list of changes have been released on the official website
http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=100000161765444

The link to the DAC USB Driver goes to http://www.fiio.net/firmware_download/X3_USB_AUDIO20_Windows_Driver.zip
The filename states X3, is that right?

And last but not least, great job on the firmware!

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #7,978 of 19,652
  Been lurking for a long time, thought I might as well start to ask silly questions :D

I was searching through the extracted X5 firmware, and found these lines in the default.ini...

Considering I cannot find these settings anywhere on the X5, nor has it been mentioned at all during this thread (that I can search): can I assume these are settings that don't exist or even work? I want to play about with them and see if they do anything, but considering I only got the device a week ago, I'm a bit hesitant to start mucking about with the firmware in case of bricking it this early on.

Any thoughts?

They look like they might belong to the X3 which has hardware treble and bass adjustment.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #7,980 of 19,652
It could be brain burn-in, too, but whatever the case is, he's enjoying it a lot more. Perhaps the unit I tested (with firmware 1.0) needed more burning in as I experienced some treble harshness, too. I attributed it to it being very detailed, exposing flaws on lesser recordings with a big bright spotlight....I'm glad he's digging it - I cringe when people feel like they wasted their money on any piece of gear.

Precisely. I really couldn't care less what the reasons are (v2.0 firmware may be in the mix), but harsh treble is the one thing I can't tolerate & never acclimatise to when it's present. It's always the deal breaker for me.

Bottom line is, the X5 has gone from something I felt disappointed enough by - largely for the above reason - to be considering selling it on quickly, to something I'm relishing re-exploring my music with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back