The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #7,516 of 19,652
Same problem here.

I believe another bug was opened towards keymapping. If it hasn't i'll open one.

I noticed this the other day. Thought it was actually a handy way to unlock the unit and quickly change volume... :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #7,517 of 19,652
Well i'm relieved to  know that i'm not the only one but sorry for you... Unfortunately it looks like they don't want to take care of this. Like i told them it looks to me like a lack of logic in the engineering instead of a "problem related to the use environment"...
despite the fact that the player is really good, i'm really deceived by their inclusion of user feedback !!

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #7,518 of 19,652
Can't take 5 steps with this player in my pocket without repeated skips and replays. Impossible to walk with it, just the pressure of my fleece shifting when I move pushes the buttons. I hope FiiO reconsiders adjusting the lockscreens.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #7,519 of 19,652
Can't take 5 steps with this player in my pocket without repeated skips and replays. Impossible to walk with it, just the pressure of my fleece shifting when I move pushes the buttons. I hope FiiO reconsiders adjusting the lockscreens.

Looks like we should vote on the bug to show it's a wanted "improvement" i did it already you should do the same as well as everyone who has this problem...

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #7,520 of 19,652
Now is your chance to get this under attention:

https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=92

Request for the ability to remap functions to other buttons!

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #7,521 of 19,652
Hello.
c) The UI still has me confused - I still can't find my way around as quick as I'd like. But I think some of the complaints about it are a little bit overdone. Maybe things are helped in that I have some very long pieces on my twin 64gb cards so I have not broken the track limit.

d) When plugged in I can only "see" the card in the first slot - I have found ways around this but I assume the computer should see both - but I had endless problems getting the 64gb formatted to fat32. Currently both cards can be read in the computer if they are in slot one and both cards work fine on the player.

C: I was pleasantly surprised regarding the users interface. After reading all the criticisms here, and using firmware 1.20, I'm really having no problems. And I'm finding it easy to learn and easy to use. There is a lot of redundancy among the keys to accomplish actually just the few functions that the player performs. The one thing I haven't figured out is the shortcuts that you can bring up when a song is playing, and how to favorite that song while it is playing. But I haven't tried really.

D: I assumed that I could transfer song files to the micro SD cards quicker if I put them in my computer directly. Based on the manual, it seems like this is not true. It seems like the write speed is the same regardless of whether you connect your X5 to your computer as a storage device, or remove the card and put it directly in your computer. In any case, when you use your computer, you are only dealing with one card at a time.

Formatting however, was quite easy if you let the X5 do the formatting for you. I just inserted my cards and went to the format menu and then selected "format" and it was done in seconds. However, the X5 named the cards according to the slot they are in. And I wonder what would happen if I formatted multiple cards in the same slot for future swapping out. Would they have the same names? If two cards with the same names are inserted in the X5, would that confuse the X5 at all when you are browsing by files?

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #7,522 of 19,652
Looks like we should vote on the bug to show it's a wanted "improvement" i did it already you should do the same as well as everyone who has this problem...

Done. Here's hoping. Perhaps there might also be a case in the future that prevents the buttons being pressed so easily. More lockscreen options would be better, though. If lockscreen 1 supported the play/pause center button, I would be happy enough.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #7,523 of 19,652
1: tried rebooting?

2: the "fix" was rebooting in "safe mode" in which you can install unsigned drivers, right?

3: is the volume turned up on the computer?

4: is the volume turned up on the X5

5: does line out on the player work?

6: does the normal oubdport on your computer work?

7: does the sound work in other programs/with other files?

Yes, the fix was rebooting in safe mode indeed. No program played sound and I have tried every output.
Luckily, I finally fixed the issue by poking the pin into the reset port. Thanks anyway!!!

Another question, I know this has been mentioned briefly. Do you guys prefer the sound of high gain or low gain? I'm pairing the x5 with my v-moda m80 and I notice the soundstage for low gain is more hallway-like whereas high gain sounds more forward, especially vocals. This only applies to some songs only though, the difference seems not very apparent for other songs.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,524 of 19,652
Have to add that now that my X5 is sitting comfortably and safely from pocket interruption on my desk, I am floored by the sound with my RE0s. With my M50s it was great, but didn't knock my socks right off...perhaps was expecting too much. But with the IEMs, the sound is a whole new level of great. Clear, quite neutral. Found I prefer high gain, sounds fuller and less hollow for me. Really impressed now, I haven't been able to fully enjoy the HiFiMans (and I knew it) witu my old iPod. Just let me carry it in my pocket and I'll be in love :wink:

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7,525 of 19,652
I've had similar issues with things getting bumped in pockets, but found that the front pocket of a hoodie works great as long as the controls are having away from the body (less likely to get bumped). Fortunately, such a fashion statement isn't a problem in my office but with the weather finally warming up this won't last long.

I'm hoping to see this case hit the market soon: 
Will probably need to take an x-acto to it so some of the controls are more accessible, but should make things less likely to get bumped around.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #7,526 of 19,652
  I've had similar issues with things getting bumped in pockets, but found that the front pocket of a hoodie works great as long as the controls are having away from the body (less likely to get bumped). Fortunately, such a fashion statement isn't a problem in my office but with the weather finally warming up this won't last long.

I'm hoping to see this case hit the market soon:
Will probably need to take an x-acto to it so some of the controls are more accessible, but should make things less likely to get bumped around.

lol you should vote for the bug also :) we should be able to use this player like any other without any case

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #7,527 of 19,652
D: I assumed that I could transfer song files to the micro SD cards quicker if I put them in my computer directly. Based on the manual, it seems like this is not true. It seems like the write speed is the same regardless of whether you connect your X5 to your computer as a storage device, or remove the card and put it directly in your computer. In any case, when you use your computer, you are only dealing with one card at a time.

I'm not sure that's completely true.  The write speed of the microSD cards can exceed USB 2.0.  However, I doubt if either the X5 or the Windows (don't know anything about Macs) OS copy utility uses buffering to ensure that the write "pipeline" is always full.  I use a free program called Teracopy that copies using multiple threads and is faster than Windows' internal copy utility, sometime considerably so (Win7 and Win8 are particularly bad at copying large files).  I have a USB 3.0 microSD adapter and, when I put the cards in that and use Teracopy, copying my library goes markedly faster than if I copied to the X5 or just relied on Windows to copy to an adapter.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #7,528 of 19,652

No votes!  You buy the product or not.........You advise them of said problem and if they get enough reaction from others with the same issue, maybe they take action.  Who knows for sure.  However, for now,  take the unit out of your pocket.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #7,529 of 19,652
Smaller font, maybe?

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #7,530 of 19,652
C: I was pleasantly surprised regarding the users interface. After reading all the criticisms here, and using firmware 1.20, I'm really having no problems. And I'm finding it easy to learn and easy to use. There is a lot of redundancy among the keys to accomplish actually just the few functions that the player performs. The one thing I haven't figured out is the shortcuts that you can bring up when a song is playing, and how to favorite that song while it is playing. But I haven't tried really.

Formatting however, was quite easy if you let the X5 do the formatting for you. I just inserted my cards and went to the format menu and then selected "format" and it was done in seconds. However, the X5 named the cards according to the slot they are in. And I wonder what would happen if I formatted multiple cards in the same slot for future swapping out. Would they have the same names? If two cards with the same names are inserted in the X5, would that confuse the X5 at all when you are browsing by files?

I full formatted (as opposed to quick format) my cards in PC. Then formatted again in X5.
X5 renamed my card as TF-1 or something like that (I don't recall exactly).
Took the card out & popped it back into my PC. Renamed the card to my preferred name.
Voila! Done. This doesn't affect how the X5 interacts with the card, but is extremely helpful in identifying the cards when swapping on PC.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back