The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #7,366 of 19,652
  A friend gave me some DSD to try but they wont play. They are .dsf but got a feeling I read here that X5 plays .dff with the latest beta s/w.  Any idea if I can convert or what the difference is? Will X5 ever play .dsf?  Really out of curiosity just to give them a go.

I have about 10 albums in .dsf format and the X5 plays them with no problem.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #7,367 of 19,652
  A friend gave me some DSD to try but they wont play. They are .dsf but got a feeling I read here that X5 plays .dff with the latest beta s/w.  Any idea if I can convert or what the difference is? Will X5 ever play .dsf?  Really out of curiosity just to give them a go.

All my DSD file are .dsf and play fine except for a small pop/click between song on X5. If you want to convert .dsf to .dff AudioGate software by KORG does it very well, you must have a Twitter account if you don't own one of their players.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #7,368 of 19,652

The X5 plays both DSF and DFF but it has to be DSD64 not DSD128.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,369 of 19,652
Guys, I found something weird about the EQ.

I love custom EQ, it's one of the must have feature. But since I have my X5, I always feel it sounds strange and unnatural. I have just upgraded X5 to v1.22 beta and play with EQ again, and I found if I level all bands to 0dB, which supposed to be sound exactly same as "Normal", but it's NOT, it sounds worst than Normal, like really muddy. 

I like the "base" of Normal, but I would like to add more treble and bass to it, which now I cannot, becoz of the muddy Custom EQ.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #7,370 of 19,652
In my collection i have numerous .ISO files, unfortunately they won't play and I never had the need for separate tracks as Foobar2000 just displays the tracks correctly.

Is there a simple converting tool to extract the .ISO files into .dsd or dff files? Help or just pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #7,371 of 19,652
I found a playback bug with wave+cue format.

Let's say the whole track last 10 mins, so the cue file will be sth like this

Track 1 0:00-0:59
Track 2 1:00-1:59
Track 3 2:00-2:59
Track 4 3:00-3:59
etc.....

Let's say I want to keep repeating Track 3, when the X5 repeat the track, instead of playback from 2:00-2:59, it playback 2:01-3:00.

So what you listen is the beginning of the track is skipped, but the last thing u hear is the beginning of Track 4.

However, you fast forward to the end of the Track, X5 will not have this problem. So to test the bug, you have to let X5 play the whole track.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7,372 of 19,652

I love custom EQ, it's one of the must have feature. But since I have my X5, I always feel it sounds strange and unnatural. I have just upgraded X5 to v1.22 beta and play with EQ again, and I found if I level all bands to 0dB, which supposed to be sound exactly same as "Normal", but it's NOT, it sounds worst than Normal, like really muddy. 

I like the "base" of Normal, but I would like to add more treble and bass to it, which now I cannot, becoz of the muddy Custom EQ.

It's been said multiple times in this thread that custom eq lowers all freq. levels by some db to compensate for the ones you are bumping.. it's not muddy it's just quieter so you actually have to turn the volume up when doing custom eq.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,373 of 19,652

That's normal. Because of the request of multi-band EQ (as oppose to the better sounding but more limited hardware EQ on X3), the EQ on X5 must be implemented via software. To do so without clipping the amp section (= adding noise), some headroom must be reserved and therefore the dynamic range will reduced, resulting in a slightly worst SQ (consider louder always makes thing sound better). So 'Custom' EQ on 0dB is NOT the same as 'Normal' EQ.

In short, it is a necessary evil.

p/s: Another way around is to not reserve any headroom and allows the amp section to clip. That's how Apple does on their iDevice and why their EQ always create more noise and distortion than actually being useful.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,374 of 19,652
It's been said multiple times in this thread that custom eq lowers all freq. levels by some db to compensate for the ones you are bumping.. it's not muddy it's just quieter so you actually have to turn the volume up when doing custom eq.

Hm... so it's mind trick then? I have the feeling that it still sound weird even I turn the volume up.

Any detail about how many db it lowered? I would really like to fine tune the sound. :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7,375 of 19,652

That's normal. Because of the request of multi-band EQ (as oppose to the better sounding but more limited hardware EQ on X3), the EQ on X5 must be implemented via software. To do so without clipping the amp section (= adding noise), some headroom must be reserved and therefore the dynamic range will reduced, resulting in a slightly worst SQ (consider louder always makes thing sound better). So 'Custom' EQ on 0dB is NOT the same as 'Normal' EQ.

In short, it is a necessary evil.

p/s: Another way around is to not reserve any headroom and allows the amp section to clip. That's how Apple does on their iDevice and why their EQ always create more noise and distortion than actually being useful.

Hm... so it's mind trick then? I have the feeling that it still sound weird even I turn the volume up.

Any detail about how many db it lowered? I would really like to fine tune the sound. :)

ClieOS, you are right, it's EVIL.

I just figured the answer myself and I was hoping I was wrong before I tested it. 

As the available adjustment for Custom EQ is 6db, it looks like a very reasonable answer to my question. So I simply turn the all bands up to +6db. BANG, it now sounds just like Normal.

Which means, there's no EQ on X5 at all. This is a HUGE disappointment. 
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7,376 of 19,652

All custom frequency levels tuned up to +6dB equals the "normal" level.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,377 of 19,652

not so sure about the exact db though.. (6? :p) mind trick, not really as it works pretty well for me. it's damn well better than those apple eq if you ask me. you just have to turn the volume up so you can hear your (most likely) undistorted custom setting properly. :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7,378 of 19,652
  Which means, there's no EQ on X5 at all. This is a HUGE disappointment. 
mad.gif

That's how all software EQ is implemented on just about every devices (from iPod to smartphone). By your logic, there is no such a thing called EQ in our world. 
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7,379 of 19,652
not so sure about the exact db though.. (6?
tongue.gif
) mind trick, not really as it works pretty well for me. it's damn well better than those apple eq if you ask me. you just have to turn the volume up so you can hear your (most likely) undistorted custom setting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really no disrespect to ppl who love to listen their music on Apple devices, and for those who still talking about the "godly" Gen 3 iPod with Lineout blah blah blah BS... is the biggest joke ever.

I bought iPod once, and I owned it for like 15 mins, worst purchase of my life ever!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back