The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #7,096 of 19,652

Actually, this is not showing those files.. only stuff like the .DS_Store files... Hmm. Weird, is this something with the X5?

Also, is there anything I shouldn't delete? Like the ".Trashes" folder and the ".Spotlight-V100" folders? I assume these are mac garbage files?

The spotlight folder has VolumeConfig.plist files in there, so I dunno if that is for the X5 or not, but I won't delete it.

Any other ideas about the duplicate "._XXXX" files? Anyone else have this issue?

I use "Eject for Windows" om my Mac to clean up my SD Cards for my X3. Seems to work pretty well:

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/decafish/EjectForWindows/EjectForWindowsE.html

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #7,097 of 19,652
You seem to have misread what I wrote. The X5 wheel menu is consistent with literally every menu ever designed and every menu in use on any OS, wheel or otherwise, in that the controls move the cursor/pointer/selector, making the target icons go in the opposite direction. You go clockwise to reach something that is visibly clockwise just as you would go right to reach something to the right. This is normal and the reverse would be fantastically unconventional at best.

Start your PlayStation. Go to a menu. Press down. The cursor moves down but only relative to the icons, since pressing down makes all the icons go up. Pressing right makes all the icons go left. This is just how menus with static pointers work and it's utterly consistent with all devices I have ever used.

+1 Great explanation. I couldn't have put it better. I received my X5 a couple of days ago. Read the little quick start guide leaflet, which shows the functions of each button. Good to go.

I find the on-screen movement of the icons/cursor to be consistent with the scroll wheel. "Static pointer" ... That's a great term which accurately explains the concept. I believe anyone who's ever used a Playstation or WDTV will find the scrolling action natural.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #7,098 of 19,652
I agree with the thericochet - the menu scrolling is internally consistent and consistent with all other devices I've used and it works exactly as he says - you move the "cursor"/"pointer towards the goal, not the goal towards the cursor. For me it is intuitive and does not need to be changed. Furthermore, if it were to be changed I believe it would become counter-intuitive to me.

I think the confusion might be due to some people being left handed(not sure about that) and using the left side of the scroll. Let me explain what I mean. Most people seem to have no problem with the menu scrolling, but some do have problem with the browsing scrolling. If you do clockwise scroll starting at 12 o'clock down to 6 o clock, the pointer moves down, which is exactly what it should be doing. The same goes for moving the scroll from 6 o'clock position to 12 o'clock counterclock-wise. I imagine the problem appears if u try to move the scroll clockwise starting from 6 to 12 and expecting the pointer to move up with your finger moving up to the 12 position, when in reality this move is equivalent to the 12 to 6 clockwise. I have a sneaky suspicion this might have to do with handedness and what part of the scroll wheel one is using. If you are using the right side predominantly(making 12 to 6 clockwise and 6 to 12 counter-clockwise scrolls), everything is intuitive, but if you are using the left side of the wheel(making 6 to 12 clockwise and 12 to 6 counter-clockwise) it becomes counter-intuitive.

And people not having problems with the menu with icons scrolling might be due to the graphical interface which depicts the right side of a wheel with the icons placed on it and guides you visually to what you should be expecting. This is not the case with the list of albums and people's minds might switch back to left sided scrolling...

I hope I was not too vague with my descriptions, but I think this would be the root of the problem for the people who have a problem with the scrolling. If this is the case, Fiio might want to include left-handed or left-side dominant perspective for the UI and scrolling.

In other words "You're holding it wrong" :D
Sorry, couldn't resist the jab at the iPhone.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #7,102 of 19,652
@nmatheis: The waiting game sucks :/

Yup! At least I've got an X3 + E12 DIY to tide me over. I ordered a DX90 to try out, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting that before the X5 even though I pre-ordered the X5 a month earlier. Go figure...

I'm glad it's so popular for Fiio. Just wish mine would be here sooner.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #7,103 of 19,652
Can the text size be increased on the x5 ?.
My x3 text size is a little bigger which allows me to see without my glasses. Would appreciate a quick reply if anyone is reading. I'm at store about to buy one

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #7,104 of 19,652
Can the text size be increased on the x5 ?.
My x3 text size is a little bigger which allows me to see without my glasses. Would appreciate a quick reply if anyone is reading. I'm at store about to buy one

Maybe you should/could try asking the store assistant? He/She might be able to answer some of your questions about the product (well, hopefully).

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #7,105 of 19,652
I'm in bangkok. English is limited :)
Nevermind, from my playing around i can't see any option to do so.
However wouldn't be the first time I have overlooked a setting.
It sounds great. Just going to have to make sure I got my glasses with me.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #7,106 of 19,652
You seem to have misread what I wrote. The X5 wheel menu is consistent with literally every menu ever designed and every menu in use on any OS, wheel or otherwise, in that the controls move the cursor/pointer/selector, making the target icons go in the opposite direction. You go clockwise to reach something that is visibly clockwise just as you would go right to reach something to the right. This is normal and the reverse would be fantastically unconventional at best.

Start your PlayStation. Go to a menu. Press down. The cursor moves down but only relative to the icons, since pressing down makes all the icons go up. Pressing right makes all the icons go left. This is just how menus with static pointers work and it's utterly consistent with all devices I have ever used.

+1000000%

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #7,107 of 19,652
X5 leather case made in Korea. That is totally awesome!!
atsmile.gif

Color : Orange, Black and Brown

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=535136153&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200001169&NaPm=ct%3Dhu27q4ao%7Cci%3Dd5d1de06f22fde7f95fa1f44864fdcdc6c3c7de2%7Ctr%3Dslsl%7Csn%3D24%7Chk%3Dda0fa7e980ecd0024b37b92e6051550cda298048

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #7,108 of 19,652
DF here checking in. I'm currently part of the X5 tour and as of this afternoon received a review unit. Once I get my final impressions on paper I'll share it with the thread for you guys.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #7,109 of 19,652
@ashton18: Just got an email from Vijay at MP4 Nation. Said they'd receive their next batch of X5's and fulfill my order by April 25th. I'm in the 2nd pre-order.

I also had a reply from MP4 Nation waiting for my 2nd pre-order batch ; they mailed me

"The stock is expected to arrive by late next week."

which is around April 25th.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #7,110 of 19,652
@ashton18: Just got an email from Vijay at MP4 Nation. Said they'd receive their next batch of X5's and fulfill my order by April 25th. I'm in the 2nd pre-order.

I also had a reply from MP4 Nation waiting for my 2nd pre-order batch ; they mailed me

"The stock is expected to arrive by late next week."

which is around April 25th.

This is the response I got from MP4Nation

"Hi

Due to FiiO delay for X5 production all preorders have been delayed, we expect more X5 stock this week and normal stock availability in the coming week for the X5.

I am sorry for our delay in this matter.

Thanks"

I guess late next week it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back