The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #7,112 of 19,652

Damn! Now I want one. Can't read Korean, though. How do I get it?
Grrrrrrr..... I'd be pulling my hair out, if I had any :D

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #7,113 of 19,652
Hi, just want to say i am a proud owner of the X5 and after using it for a couple of weeks, the sound quality is amazing. Although i had encountered a few bugs (firmware 1.20) such as managing files and occasional freezes and slow reading of music files when selecting songs, i'd decided to upgrade it to the unofficial 1.23 beta. Most bugs were fixed but I had experienced some connection issues of the microsd cards (2 x 64gb Fat32) such as disconnecting and connecting again spontaneously.

My only concerns are that it takes quite a while to scroll to your favourite artist (let's say the mid-section of your entire list of songs/artist), it would be better to implement an alphabet prompt after scrolling the wheel fast enough within a certain time frame, just like how an ipod works or browsing them through alphabet sections like A-E, F-J, K-P, Q-U, V-Z or some sort,

And when i'm browsing an artist i would like to have a 'shuffle all' option within all of his/her albums.

Having to create playlists on the go will be great too!

I know that the firmware i'm using is just a beta but it is becoming more intuitive and with great ease of usability. Please note that these are just my personal suggestions and I hope you would look upon this matter for the next upgrade.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #7,114 of 19,652
Dunno if someone covered this in the previous pages, but this is an email from mp4nation:

"I am sorry that your order has not been mailed out yet. Unfortunately, the stock for the second batch PreOrder has not arrived yet.

The stock is expected to arrive by late next week. Once the new stock arrives, we will have your order mailed out to your address.

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience cause and for the delay. Please do not worry; we will notify you as soon as your order is mailed out.

Thank You
Vijay."

:s

ashton18: Just got an email from Vijay at MP4 Nation. Said they'd receive their next batch of X5's and fulfill my order by April 25th. I'm in the 2nd pre-order.

When did you guys pre-order it? I pre-ordered March 22 (so really early batch 2) and last week they told me my shipment should leave mid-late this week.

I wonder if it's still the car or if it is delayed one again :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #7,115 of 19,652
Hi, Ive asked this question about the X3 and its a no go

The X5 I seen has something called OTG support, I am wondering if anyone has tried this ?

I want to try and plug in my 2TB hard drive into the player and have it read the mp3's and flac on this drive if this is not possible which I cant see why not, then perhaps I can do this via WIFI, essentially playing songs over the network from my laptop on the X5.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #7,118 of 19,652
  How much more does High Gain waste the battery over Low Gain????

Depends on how high you have the volume turned up...  if the volume is turned all the way down then the battery will last for days and days... turn the volume up all the way and the battery won't last a day...  

High Gain does not draw on the battery unless there is a load on the amp... that load being your headphone... so if you have a load that draws alot of power then the battery has to provide that power so phones that draw less power will last longer than phones that draw more power...  it all depends on the phones and how high you set the volume..  

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #7,119 of 19,652

Depends on how high you have the volume turned up...  if the volume is turned all the way down then the battery will last for days and days... turn the volume up all the way and the battery won't last a day...  

High Gain does not draw on the battery unless there is a load on the amp... that load being your headphone... so if you have a load that draws alot of power then the battery has to provide that power so phones that draw less power will last longer than phones that draw more power...  it all depends on the phones and how high you set the volume..  

I have various headphones at the moment but none of them have more than 50ohms. I just prefer the sound I get from them with High Gain on. Volume is about 70-85 on high gain and north of 90 on low gain.

Do you think the battery life would improve if I listen at same volume but Low Gain? Or are my headphones low Ohm usage kind of make Gain a mute point on battery?

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #7,122 of 19,652

I have various headphones at the moment but none of them have more than 50ohms. I just prefer the sound I get from them with High Gain on. Volume is about 70-85 on high gain and north of 90 on low gain.

Do you think the battery life would improve if I listen at same volume but Low Gain? Or are my headphones low Ohm usage kind of make Gain a mute point on battery?

All the gain switch does is place a different load resistor in the path of the amp/phones...     so if say your phones were putting out a particular sound level at a low gain setting of 60 and you flipped the gain switch and adjusted the volume knob to match the sound level then the loads would be the same because in high gain you don't need to turn the volume knob up as high... the volume knob is just a variable resistor that is in the path of the amp/phones..    now lets say that the volume knob is set at 60 and you leave the knob at 60...   if you flip the gain switch to high, then the amp is presented with a different load resistor and the amp produces a higher out put ( drains the battery faster)  and higher level to your phone...  
Most of the time a amp that is running in low gain will produce less noise (hiss)...  so if your phones don't suffer from hiss on high gain then I'd use high gain...   also with some amps the volume knob can cause balance issues with your phones because the wipers won't have the same resistance from left to right.. and the solution is to turn the volume knob up to get out of the imbalance situation.. in that case you have to use low gain...  you just need to play with your player and work out what is best....   and then there is digital volume control...   a slightly different beast...  but again play with the player and use what is best for you and the phones...     depending on how the DAC is setup you may or may not hear hiss because if the DAC does not detect any music being presented to its input then it wont turn on the output...   so it can be a little mis leading when you see some folks say that they can turn the volume all the way up when not playing music and the player is dead silent...  well yeh...  thats because the amp section is turned off from the DAC output... 

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #7,123 of 19,652
  Hi, Ive asked this question about the X3 and its a no go

The X5 I seen has something called OTG support, I am wondering if anyone has tried this ?

I want to try and plug in my 2TB hard drive into the player and have it read the mp3's and flac on this drive if this is not possible which I cant see why not, then perhaps I can do this via WIFI, essentially playing songs over the network from my laptop on the X5.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Hi, I have tried the OTG function with USB sticks and with 3 powered hard disks (500GB, 1TB and 2TB and 3 different brands). Only the USB sticks work.
OTG is not intended for hard disks apparently, and when I asked FiiO they said it was impossible to support them.
I hope they will be supported in future somehow but it doesn't look likely or imminent.
It's also not wifi enabled. It essentially plays from Micro SD cards and USB sticks (or acts as a USB DAC for such as a laptop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back