The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #7,126 of 19,652
  Hi, I have tried the OTG function with USB sticks and with 3 powered hard disks (500GB, 1TB and 2TB and 3 different brands). Only the USB sticks work.
OTG is not intended for hard disks apparently, and when I asked FiiO they said it was impossible to support them.
I hope they will be supported in future somehow but it doesn't look likely or imminent.
It's also not wifi enabled. It essentially plays from Micro SD cards and USB sticks (or acts as a USB DAC for such as a laptop)

No problem! Here's a 1TB USB stick - http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB-DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O - Only a thousand bucks!

Did you try the external drives that are powered by USB? I have a 500gb external drive that only uses a USB wire.. I will give that a shot and see (I think I need to update my firmware before using the USB OTG, though)

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #7,128 of 19,652
  No I didn't, all my hard disks have their own power supply.
Please do give it a try with your USB-powered hard disk and let us know. I'm not holding my hopes up though

I will try it at some point today. I don't need to remove non-audio files or anything like that, right? Hopefully it is a proper format. If not I can try to see if someone at work has one I can format and use.
Do I need to update to the newest beta firmware to use OTG? I think on 1.20 it only shows USB Storage and USB DAC (unless the storage is the OTG?)

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7,129 of 19,652
You can leave other files on there. It might help the 'test' if the disk was formatted to FAT32 or at least NTFS though.

OTG was apparently supported on 1.20 but I didn't try it on 1.20, I'm using 1.23 beta, which I guess you can get from page 456 if it feels necessary.

The USB setting in the options menu is for when you connect it to a computer; it doesn't affect the OTG function I don't think. 'Storage' just means when you connect it to a computer, the computer sees it as two memory cards rather than seeing it as a DAC.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #7,130 of 19,652
  Hi, I have tried the OTG function with USB sticks and with 3 powered hard disks (500GB, 1TB and 2TB and 3 different brands). Only the USB sticks work.
OTG is not intended for hard disks apparently, and when I asked FiiO they said it was impossible to support them.
I hope they will be supported in future somehow but it doesn't look likely or imminent.
It's also not wifi enabled. It essentially plays from Micro SD cards and USB sticks (or acts as a USB DAC for such as a laptop)

Thanks, thats good to know I might see about the iBasso players then :)  I would realy love to use my 2TB HDD as a source of music!

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #7,132 of 19,652
Hmm, I'm having trouble getting the USB OTG to work (on 1.20)
I have a 2GB thumb drive I am using to test. I formatted it to Fat32 and put an album on there. Connect it to my X5 then update my media library, but I don't see the files anywhere.
Am I missing something? I will try to get the 1.23 beta firmware if needed.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,133 of 19,652
Ok I got the new beta Firmware. I can see my OTG drive now, but it says no music (even after updating library manually)
Any suggestions?

It's just a single folder with a bunch of FLAC files on the drive.

Once I get this thumb drive working I will try an external drive that does not require external power

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #7,137 of 19,652
  With a USB stick? Odd.
A FiiO rep in here did say something like, there are eight kinds of USB stick and six of them are currently supported. Do you have another to test?

That was my next course of action - give me a few mins and I will get back to you. I gotta find another external drive to use as well.. the one I have is a OSX format and I can't really delete everything off it. 
If I can't find another one, though, I will back everything up and format this drive to test it for you guys. I want to know as well! It would be awesome if it worked!!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #7,140 of 19,652
Ah bummer.. I tried it and I kept getting prompted "External storage device removed" over and over, I think it would mount it, then remove it, then mount it, etc.

I wonder if this 256GB thumb drive would work - http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Magnum-Series-PEF256GSMNUSB/dp/B00B964QFO

Also.. when I get a chance I will try another one, but this is a Western Digital and if any of them would be supported you would think this one would be.

Maybe in future updates?

Just not sure if it's possible because it is pulling power - maybe the X5 can't supply enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back