The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #7,156 of 19,652
Thanks krayziehustler

Oh I have another newbie question , is there a file type that reduces the volume difference track to track the lossless ones I have at the moment show quite a variance? 

Thanks 
Arcright 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #7,158 of 19,652
I assume all these lovely X5 accessories going to be in stock at the same sites? I cannot wait for that E12 bundle - it looks like it comes with that new FiiO IC cable, or is that a separate product? Anyone know how much that bundle kit will cost?

I think I am also going to get the X5 + E12 zip case - perfect!

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #7,159 of 19,652
  I assume all these lovely X5 accessories going to be in stock at the same sites? I cannot wait for that E12 bundle - it looks like it comes with that new FiiO IC cable, or is that a separate product? Anyone know how much that bundle kit will cost?

No word on pricing, but James has confirmed with the IC cable. I think they said around the 20th for the official release date, we will see though that's coming very soon so I certainly hope so I can't wait for the bundle either, the current set up (rubber bands) is a bit of a pain

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7,160 of 19,652

All the gain switch does is place a different load resistor in the path of the amp/phones...     so if say your phones were putting out a particular sound level at a low gain setting of 60 and you flipped the gain switch and adjusted the volume knob to match the sound level then the loads would be the same because in high gain you don't need to turn the volume knob up as high... the volume knob is just a variable resistor that is in the path of the amp/phones..    now lets say that the volume knob is set at 60 and you leave the knob at 60...   if you flip the gain switch to high, then the amp is presented with a different load resistor and the amp produces a higher out put ( drains the battery faster)  and higher level to your phone...  
Most of the time a amp that is running in low gain will produce less noise (hiss)...  so if your phones don't suffer from hiss on high gain then I'd use high gain...   also with some amps the volume knob can cause balance issues with your phones because the wipers won't have the same resistance from left to right.. and the solution is to turn the volume knob up to get out of the imbalance situation.. in that case you have to use low gain...  you just need to play with your player and work out what is best....   and then there is digital volume control...   a slightly different beast...  but again play with the player and use what is best for you and the phones...     depending on how the DAC is setup you may or may not hear hiss because if the DAC does not detect any music being presented to its input then it wont turn on the output...   so it can be a little mis leading when you see some folks say that they can turn the volume all the way up when not playing music and the player is dead silent...  well yeh...  thats because the amp section is turned off from the DAC output... 

So basically, Lo Gain on Volume 95 is about the same as Hi Gain at Volume 75...(battery use wise)

Do I have this correct?

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7,162 of 19,652
  Thanks krayziehustler

Oh I have another newbie question , is there a file type that reduces the volume difference track to track the lossless ones I have at the moment show quite a variance? 

Thanks 
Arcright 

The volume level isn't specific to any file type; it comes from the source. There is a feature called ReplayGain that can adjust the volume level of a group of tracks to the same level, either by applying a permanent volume change to the files, or by including a meta tag in the file that tells a compatible DAP how to adjust each file on the fly, without modifying the original recording. Some of us are petitioning FiiO to include support for this tag in a future firmware update; it's listed on their Bugzilla page as an enhancement request.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7,163 of 19,652

No word on pricing, but James has confirmed with the IC cable. I think they said around the 20th for the official release date, we will see though that's coming very soon so I certainly hope so I can't wait for the bundle either, the current set up (rubber bands) is a bit of a pain

Thanks!
And yes I agree it's very annoying with the rubber bands.

This is my current setup:
2cel01h.jpg

It's gonna be so much nicer with that IC cable and bundle kit!!

Obviously using the scroll wheel is annoying, but it does work and is ok for now.. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,165 of 19,652

Pricing is EUR 39,99 for HS6 Bundle Kit. I already pre-ordered/paid for it on 31st of March and is expected for 20th of April

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #7,168 of 19,652
I try to leaf through my backlog of posts on this thread and am lucky enough to happen across this gem of a post...
smily_headphones1.gif

I've highlighted this post for James, told him who JFK is, and I'm sure James will be deeply honored and humbled by your comparison at the same time
smile.gif

Moving on, I'd just like to notify you guys about the firmware updates:
X5 shipped worldwide with FW1.20. Version 1.21 I have here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoqyti6c01z7e9p/x5-fw1.21.zip

Alas, the new versions are coming by so fast that the engineers don't even have time to write changelogs
tongue.gif
But this new version is a highly recommended upgrade. Among other things (that I'll tell you about once I grab hold of an engineer to write a full changelog for me), 1.21 finally puts DSD decoding and high-fidelity 32-bit lossy (e.g. mp3) formats decoding into a stable firmware; RobC also noted that it solved an issue he had with connecting the X5 to the computer with every other version of firmware.

beerchug.gif

Hi Joe,
Sorry I have not replied up to now but, so help me, I've been trying to think of a way to do justice to the way I feel about your complement, calling my response a gem. Sometimes the right thing to say just refuses to manifest and that's just what happened. Anyway, thanks so much for that. It truly gives me a warm feeling of shared humanity. I hope that James has gotten the message and was happy to hear it b/c I meant what I say. Perusing the responses I have read from James on Head-fi, I felt inspired to compare him to JFK b/c both have stood out for their warmth and integrity. Enough said?

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #7,170 of 19,652
  Ah no biggie about the cable, was just a passing thought I had. (Or do you mean the 128gb cards not working?)

And the only reason I said 32gb was because I think Walmart only carries 32gb in store, but I could be wrong. I should just get a good SanDisk 64gb from Amazon Prime (I'm just impatient.. I want it all now now now!).. I will probably use it eventually anyway, right? :p

Anyone know the ETA on the 128gb micro sd cards?

My recommendation? Go easy on the caffeine, lol. It's a wonderful remedy for impatience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back