The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #6,976 of 19,652

This was posted 3 days ago, but I'm a bit behind in checking all the posts in this thread. I just wanted to comment because I'd wondered the same thing about some of the slightly negative comments posted by people immediately after receiving the X5. I'd wondered if the X5 simply needed burn-in time. IMO, the answer is yes. The player sounded quite ordinary when I played it & checked in on the sound over the first few hours. So I put the player on a loop of the music I use for burn-in and just let the X5 run for at least 24 hours. I'd check in every once in awhile & to my ears the sound definitely improved after about 10 hours or so. Not sure of the exact time & not sure if it continued improving after that.  But to my ears the music sounded fuller and detailed after a good burn-in period. I have a few songs that I know the sound of & I always test any new audio device using these tracks that I know to evaluate the overall sound.

And I am loving the X5's sound. It is really, really good. It is almost as good as my desktop setup with an audiophile-grade DAC. And I've been using Westone 4 IEMs with them because they're the best sounding IEMs I have & the X5 sounds great with them. I haven't bothered with an external amp yet because the X5 is plenty loud for me and the quality of the opamps in the X5 is good enough that I don't expect any noticeable improvement with the use of my latest favorite amp, the FIIO E12DIY. It really sounds like FIIO learned from the X3, as well as their amp experience, and used that knowledge to their advantage in creating a gorgeous sounding DAP.

BTW, I'd asked in an earlier post about the X5's OTG function, but I've answered my question myself since I received it. The OTG function works really well with the X5. I'm impressed with how securely the included OTG cable fits in the USB slot. It can be a real pain with the DX50, for example, if the OTG cable gets jostled because it easily loses its connection & it's like the drive has been disconnected & then reconnected. No such problem with the X5. I've hooked up various flash drives using FIIO's cable, using drives all the way up to 256gb. So that's a LOT of easily portable storage for the X5. (It also makes it easy to swap my music around to different DAP's). The only drawbacks to using an OTG drive is that I can't charge the X5 while using OTG, and since the OTG drive draws power form the X5, the play time is somewhat decreased. That's where it would be nice if the player had a separate AC adapter... but I know I'm in the minority with this... I'm just thrilled to have the OTG function added to the already superior storage of 2 micro SD cards.

Great job, FIIO. What an awesome DAP for $350.

Same to me but i love the sound before burn-in. I found it have better detail

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #6,977 of 19,652
This was posted 3 days ago, but I'm a bit behind in checking all the posts in this thread. I just wanted to comment because I'd wondered the same thing about some of the slightly negative comments posted by people immediately after receiving the X5. I'd wondered if the X5 simply needed burn-in time. IMO, the answer is yes. The player sounded quite ordinary when I played it & checked in on the sound over the first few hours. So I put the player on a loop of the music I use for burn-in and just let the X5 run for at least 24 hours. I'd check in every once in awhile & to my ears the sound definitely improved after about 10 hours or so. Not sure of the exact time & not sure if it continued improving after that.  But to my ears the music sounded fuller and detailed after a good burn-in period. I have a few songs that I know the sound of & I always test any new audio device using these tracks that I know to evaluate the overall sound.

And I am loving the X5's sound. It is really, really good. It is almost as good as my desktop setup with an audiophile-grade DAC. And I've been using Westone 4 IEMs with them because they're the best sounding IEMs I have & the X5 sounds great with them. I haven't bothered with an external amp yet because the X5 is plenty loud for me and the quality of the opamps in the X5 is good enough that I don't expect any noticeable improvement with the use of my latest favorite amp, the FIIO E12DIY. It really sounds like FIIO learned from the X3, as well as their amp experience, and used that knowledge to their advantage in creating a gorgeous sounding DAP.

BTW, I'd asked in an earlier post about the X5's OTG function, but I've answered my question myself since I received it. The OTG function works really well with the X5. I'm impressed with how securely the included OTG cable fits in the USB slot. It can be a real pain with the DX50, for example, if the OTG cable gets jostled because it easily loses its connection & it's like the drive has been disconnected & then reconnected. No such problem with the X5. I've hooked up various flash drives using FIIO's cable, using drives all the way up to 256gb. So that's a LOT of easily portable storage for the X5. (It also makes it easy to swap my music around to different DAP's). The only drawbacks to using an OTG drive is that I can't charge the X5 while using OTG, and since the OTG drive draws power form the X5, the play time is somewhat decreased. That's where it would be nice if the player had a separate AC adapter... but I know I'm in the minority with this... I'm just thrilled to have the OTG function added to the already superior storage of 2 micro SD cards.

Great job, FIIO. What an awesome DAP for $350.

You haven't missed anything.
More endless whining.:p

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #6,978 of 19,652
...just posted my review...there are quite a few out there now:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10830

Personally I have nothing to whine about with the X5 :)

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,979 of 19,652
This thread is moving too fast for me to keep up with it.

1) Does anyone have any photos or suggestions on a temporary bundle setup for X5 and E12, at least until I can buy the bundle accessory? It is not working out with these rubber bands (I have one at the top of the X5 screen and one over the center of the scroll wheel. It works, but is obviously annoying and I can only spin half the wheel)

2) Does anyone have an IC cable recommendation for E12 to X5 line outs? The FiiO one is way too long and gets in the way of everything. I want something that won't get in the way of the headphone port and volume knob! Something without a wire would be great, actually.. just 2 3.5mm male ports connected to each other that fit perfectly would be amazing...

3) When will we be able to buy the X5 accessories? There are at least 3 items I would love to have! The E12 X5 bundle for certain.

Thanks guys!

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #6,981 of 19,652

......... I just wanted to comment because I'd wondered the same thing about some of the slightly negative comments posted by people immediately after receiving the X5. I'd wondered if the X5 simply needed burn-in time. IMO, the answer is yes. The player sounded quite ordinary when I played it & checked in on the sound over the first few hours. So I put the player on a loop of the music I use for burn-in and just let the X5 run for at least 24 hours. I'd check in every once in awhile & to my ears the sound definitely improved after about 10 hours or so. Not sure of the exact time & not sure if it continued improving after that.  But to my ears the music sounded fuller and detailed after a good burn-in period. I have a few songs that I know the sound of & I always test any new audio device using these tracks that I know to evaluate the overall sound.

I totally agree. The sound has definately improved over the last couple of days (still on FW 1.20) exactly as you mentioned. I like the X5 very very much (using Phonak Audeo PFE 232 and HiFiMan RE 262) and expecting it to be even better after receiving the E12 next week (with HE 500 and T1). James and is team have really exceeded my expectations, great job and the warm feeling I have with FiiO is getting bettter every day. Thank you very much for this terrific DAP, keep up the good work (and updates of course
wink.gif
)

Just some minor issues/feedback/suggestions (call it splitting hairs if you want)

1. when the last track of an album ends I'd like to return to the folder of that artist as default or main menu, now it just hangs
2. when using only 1 TF card one still has to select TF Port at every startup. It should recognize that only one TF card/OTG is inserted and skip the selection
3. battery % would be nice
4. 'track/artist playing' + local time on lockscreen would be nice instead of black screen only
5. in lockscreen 2 button down the wheel (L+R) have the same function as the buttons on the side. Why not set side buttons as volume only?
6. some kind of tracking chip (like the XY secure tracking tag that is on Kickstarter) in next gen would be nice. I would hate to lose the unit :wink:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xyfindit/xy-the-secure-tracking-tag?ref=live

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #6,982 of 19,652
  This thread is moving too fast for me to keep up with it.

1) Does anyone have any photos or suggestions on a temporary bundle setup for X5 and E12, at least until I can buy the bundle accessory? It is not working out with these rubber bands (I have one at the top of the X5 screen and one over the center of the scroll wheel. It works, but is obviously annoying and I can only spin half the wheel)

2) Does anyone have an IC cable recommendation for E12 to X5 line outs? The FiiO one is way too long and gets in the way of everything. I want something that won't get in the way of the headphone port and volume knob! Something without a wire would be great, actually.. just 2 3.5mm male ports connected to each other that fit perfectly would be amazing...

3) When will we be able to buy the X5 accessories? There are at least 3 items I would love to have! The E12 X5 bundle for certain.

Thanks guys!

I believe James said the bundle is coming at the end of this month. So very soon.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #6,983 of 19,652

I believe James said the bundle is coming at the end of this month. So very soon.

Oh good, thank you! That's my only complaint so far is I don't have a good setup with the E12. Just a bit cumbersome.
It sounds GREAT without the E12, but I really like the sound I am getting with both of them (at least with DT770 250ohms)

So, anyone have a good small IC recommendation? Something good quality and discreet.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #6,986 of 19,652

Just some minor issues/feedback/suggestions (call it splitting hairs if you want)

3. battery % would be nice
5. in lockscreen 2 button down the wheel (L+R) have the same function as the buttons on the side. Why not set side buttons as volume only?

I vote for both suggestions!
I have good eyesight and still can barely read the battery level.  Are there 2 or 3 bars left? Hard to tell, and it's even more complicated when I'm on my bicycle or running. What about older people?

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #6,987 of 19,652
  Yeah that would be awesome to have a nice silicone case for both E12 and X5, that either works with the bundle or is a solid silicone case bundle itself. That would be great!

My guess is I'll like my X5 even better with the E12 attached. Hopefully FiiO has thought of an adequate protection cover, like your suggestion of a bundle case too! 

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #6,988 of 19,652
  Oh good, thank you! That's my only complaint so far is I don't have a good setup with the E12. Just a bit cumbersome.
It sounds GREAT without the E12, but I really like the sound I am getting with both of them (at least with DT770 250ohms)

So, anyone have a good small IC recommendation? Something good quality and discreet.

I had a question. Does the E12 add the Fiio house sound coloration? What I mean by coloration is: mid-bass hump + shelved down treble to make things dark, like all of their products including the X3.

I hear the X5 is the most neutral Fiio product yet, I just don't want to color it up with the E12 if it's not very neutral. If it is very neutral then great. I'm interested in the E12.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #6,989 of 19,652
I've been mostly loving my X5 so far. I have only one major complaint (running 1.22beta):

With multi-disc albums, the Library seems to ignore (or at least place a low priority on) Disc Number tags. It plays Track 1 from each disc, then Track 2 from each disc, &c. Anyone else have this problem?

Apart from this (and still hoping they implement ReplayGain support at some point -- vote for this in Bugzilla please!), the X5 is helping me to rediscover so much of my music. There are details I never noticed before in nearly every track, and the lack of any notable noise or distortion really makes it feel as though I'm in the room with the musicians. Great job, FiiO!

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,990 of 19,652
I've been mostly loving my X5 so far. I have only one major complaint (running 1.22beta):

With multi-disc albums, the Library seems to ignore (or at least place a low priority on) Disc Number tags. It plays Track 1 from each disc, then Track 2 from each disc, &c. Anyone else have this problem?

Just encountered that same problem (Rachael Yamagata - Teeth Sinking....), haven't figured out why it occurs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back