The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #6,947 of 19,652
  I certainly hope not. Android is a resource hog.  But if they have to I understand.

Stock Android (AOSP) is hardly a resource hog. Even with GAPPS installed, my HTC G2 (Custom ROM) gets around a month of standby time and easily over 20 hours of music playback. It usually comes down to battery drain from the screen and Google services running in the background, but hopefully the X7 removes most of that, and goes with a battery-efficient screen.

Quote:
Exactly. Last thing I want is Fiio wasting time and resources developing and maintaining Android software.

I'd say it would be easier than maintaining their own OS/firmware. Android gets updates directly from Google, so core updates shouldn't be an issue, and stripping Android bare and keep music/DSP manager would be a trivial task. Unless of course Fiio decides to do what Sony did with the ZX1 and pretty much kept it as stock Android, which would be still fairly simple, since there isn't much to maintain. 

So what's the overall status of the X7? Just started designing, and it will be out in a year or two?

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #6,948 of 19,652
How about make X7 an android phone?  
tongue.gif
  Lets just go all out FiiO, make a audiophile player/phone that has looooooooong battery life so we only have to carry one device. But, I'm afraid it's going to be really bulky.  Also, Fiio probably has no experience in phone hardware.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #6,949 of 19,652
Just got word from MP4Nation that the second batch of preorders will be included in the next shipment. I have been waiting for almost a month now. Seriously can not wait any longer. Then again i should not be complaining since there are people that still cant order theirs yet.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #6,950 of 19,652
  Just got word from MP4Nation that the second batch of preorders will be included in the next shipment. I have been waiting for almost a month now. Seriously can not wait any longer. Then again i should not be complaining since there are people that still cant order theirs yet.

Heh, did they say when they expect that next shipment? 25 April is listed on the preorder page now. 

EDIT: Another update. Just received response to my cancellation request. Once again, their Customer Service rep tried to tell me stock for my order will be arriving "later today or tomorrow" and the 25 April date refers to the 2nd batch. Heh, I've heard that one before, guys (three times before!). I told them to confirm my cancellation. I will update with results as another user has had them withhold a fee from their refund.

If anyone gets heads up on a US seller that receives stock, do post and let me know! Cheers folks, good luck with all those sticking with MP4. I'm sure eventually they'll come through, but I'm going with what James and others said originally - buy from a seller in your country. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #6,951 of 19,652
  Did any of you guys who pre-ordered the X5 from mp4nation manage to get a 5% discount (that is, if you were aware of the 5% discount coupon code available on their facebook page)? They don't seem to provide the 5% discount anymore...

yep got my preorder on the 21st with the discount coupon and the free earbuds havent heard anything yet but i know they got a small shipment that didnt cover all their preorders. It's ok i'm patient :p

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #6,952 of 19,652
A match made in heaven, X5 + XS

My V-Moda XS review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs/reviews/10826

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #6,953 of 19,652
MP4Nation said by the end of the week they will have them to ship. Sorry forgot to mention that.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6,955 of 19,652
  I'd say it would be easier than maintaining their own OS/firmware. Android gets updates directly from Google, so core updates shouldn't be an issue, and stripping Android bare and keep music/DSP manager would be a trivial task. Unless of course Fiio decides to do what Sony did with the ZX1 and pretty much kept it as stock Android, which would be still fairly simple, since there isn't much to maintain. 

So what's the overall status of the X7? Just started designing, and it will be out in a year or two?

They are working on the X1 next.  Then X7 and or x3 version 2 I believe.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #6,956 of 19,652
  How about make X7 an android phone?  
tongue.gif
  Lets just go all out FiiO, make a audiophile player/phone that has looooooooong battery life so we only have to carry one device. But, I'm afraid it's going to be really bulky.  Also, Fiio probably has no experience in phone hardware.

I don't want a battery draining cell in a audiophile dap.  I know you jest but please no.  Plus audiophile dap uses more batter for amping anyway no need to add more stuff and noise.  Still wouldn't mind if wifi was there.  Then I can manage playlists and update music files if there was a good interface for it.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #6,958 of 19,652
  Well, I think if they go Android, that means they can work with already created open source software, that also means they have to go with ARM processor for the OS control, makes since if they want to go touch screen route.  They don't have to code a new OS for it.

Why not use windows OS?  They have a phenomenal dev kit.  Plus it can run on most processors they choose.  My home is Apple, Android, WIndows.  We don't discriminate. Go for what works best and easiest to code for.  Less overhead in the longrun. Keep in mind some versions of android already are not kept up-to-date.  So assume your android device will have security holes in 3-5 years or less "if" it's connectable. (ie. wifi or other connection methods)

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #6,960 of 19,652
What I mean by open source, it's free to use OS, no licensing fee.  Also there is firebox and ubuntu.
biggrin.gif
  You can just add a feature with switchable gain or amp stage so it doesn't drain the bettery when not using it with hard to drive headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back