The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #6,886 of 19,652
Not really: Availability: New Item, Available for pre-order

So still has the pre-order status

Ok, the tab used to say pre-order, and they must have relocated it.  Oh well.

It's available for order on Amazon, but it's priced more(400).  I wonder if Amazon will carry it, so I can do a return if I don't like it.  
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,887 of 19,652
My pre-order from a local store should arrive anytime next week.

Just want to clarify, the 5800 limit is only applicable to the ID3/Tag browsing but not the file browsing right? I mean X5 can read unlimited files as long as it doesn't reach the maximum number of files per folder allowable on the filesystem? Thank you...

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,888 of 19,652

Just want to clarify, the 5800 limit is only applicable to the ID3/Tag browsing but not the file browsing right? I mean X5 can read unlimited files as long as it doesn't reach the maximum number of files per folder allowable on the filesystem? Thank you...

Yes, that is correct.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #6,889 of 19,652
Yes, that is correct.

Have you tried it personally? Not that I don't trust you or what I just want to be damn sure. If it's the case, it's not a big deal for me. :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #6,890 of 19,652

Yes, that is correct.

Have you tried it personally? Not that I don't trust you or what I just want to be damn sure. If it's the case, it's not a big deal for me. :)

I haven't tried it personally either :p, but the official word from FiiO is that the X5 do exactly as you describe in folder browsing mode. One exception is that for cards formatted in NTFS it can "only" read up to 2000 files per folder whereas for FAT32 it can read up to 65536 files per folder.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,892 of 19,652
I'm very tempted to get my first DSD-capable DAP and have subscribed to this thread for a long time. But every time there's a discussion on folder size or limits, FAT32/NTFS formatting, browsing modes, scanning of library, firmware upgrades, software upgrades, etc, my finger moves away from the trigger. Sigh.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,893 of 19,652
  Is the 14th the official release date?

FiiO has been shipping them internationally since March 26th. Demand is high and supply is short, so most sellers who FiiO was able to ship to only got a few and they sold out very quick. FiiO says supply should be stable by the end of the month.  At this point, probably better bet to wait for it to be in stock from a seller rather than placing a pre-order and being shackled to one store.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,894 of 19,652
I'm very tempted to get my first DSD-capable DAP and have subscribed to this thread for a long time. But every time there's a discussion on folder size or limits, FAT32/NTFS formatting, browsing modes, scanning of library, firmware upgrades, software upgrades, etc, my finger moves away from the trigger. Sigh.

It's unlikely to stop, I haven't seen a player from any vendors that don't go through firmware updates. It's actually healthy that they do as they fix those bugs and make the player more stable. You should embrace it instead of fearing it. Fiio is very good with updates and communications so you are in good hands.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #6,896 of 19,652

Mind you while the X5 does play DSD64, it's not native playback. Also the device becomes a bit slow during DSD playback since it has to work (very) hard to convert DSD to PCM first.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6,898 of 19,652
Mind you while the X5 does play DSD64, it's not native playback. Also the device becomes a bit slow during DSD playback since it has to work (very) hard to convert DSD to PCM first.
Yeah that's another thing holding me back. I think I'll stick to native DSD playback from my iMac (Audirvana+ and Geek Out 1000) and rely on my iDevices for non DSD playback.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #6,899 of 19,652
Pardon me if this has been discussed but I can't find any comments on sound quality of Fiio X5 vs E18. Has anyone done a A:B comparison between these two Fiio products? I have an E18 connected to my android Samsung S3. I was at a local shop today and auditioned the X5. My first impression was the sound stage was much more expansive. E18 soundstage sounded more narrow. I was using the NAD HP50 headphones which I have. It's a neutral sounding set of cans. I've always been happy with the E18 sound until today. Feeling some buyers remorse now on E18. Can anyone else who have compared comment if it's the same impression.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6,900 of 19,652

With all due respect, I think the FiiO guys should field this, not you or I.    It is not your or my place to answer for them. 

Point taken. I have no idea whether this would be easy to implement or not...I think I was being snarky because of user-request fatigue....sometimes the filter between my brain and my keyboard doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back