The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #6,557 of 19,652
LOL this thread..... sigh.

Anyway I received my X5 from HDPHNS today. It's got some quirks but none of them are surprises cause I did my homework before buying. Soundwise my first impression was of a boomy mess - then I remembered that's how my M100s sound. :) Next purhase will definitely be a less bassy set of portable cans.

PS I do actually quite like the M100s for what they are.

Yay! So we have a X5 user with m100. Do they sound great together? Yes it's bassy, but could you elaborate a bit more please :) thank you.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6,558 of 19,652
Yay! So we have a X5 user with m100. Do they sound great together? Yes it's bassy, but could you elaborate a bit more please :) thank you.

"boomy mess" of M100 has nothing to do with X5.  It's just V-Moda signature of a serious V-shape cut :wink:  You want less V-Mess and strong "bommy sound', try X5 with P7!!!  But overall X5 is neutral and clean.  Love it!!! :)  Can't wait to hear how it sounds with XS (getting it soon), from everything I read it should be V-pleasure together with X5 :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6,559 of 19,652

Well I switched to some albums that suit the M100s better and it sounds good so far, but I'd need to do some further A/B testing to see if there's any significant difference to the Samsung S4 I normally use when out and about. I will try my HD 800s and HE-500s with the X5 too, just for fun, though I'll need to use two adaptor cables (XLR > 1/4 inch > 3.5).

I'm liking the X5 so far. I love fun and quirky gadgets made by small companies. My main reason for getting it is so I can carry around a lot more of my music collection (rather than just stream Spotify on my phone). Will probably get the Mad Dog Pros or NAD HP50s soon to go with it.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,560 of 19,652

"boomy mess" of M100 has nothing to do with X5.  It's just V-Moda signature of a serious V-shape cut :wink:  You want less V-Mess and strong "bommy sound', try X5 with P7!!!  But overall X5 is neutral and clean.  Love it!!! :)  Can't wait to hear how it sounds with XS (getting it soon), from everything I read it should be V-pleasure together with X5 :)

The XS sounds great with the X5. Voices sound the most natural I've heard yet. Very good pairing. Bass is not overwhelming. Tight and quick. Though not that deep.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #6,561 of 19,652

The XS sounds great with the X5. Voices sound the most natural I've heard yet. Very good pairing. Bass is not overwhelming. Tight and quick. Though not that deep.

Gland to hear that!!!  You know, XS <-> X5 - the name almost looks the same :D  I still like my M-100, built like a tank, but M-80 while being brighter and more leveled off in mids, didn't sound too natural when it comes to vocals.  I'm glad they fixed that response curve in XS!!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #6,562 of 19,652
So I haven't been following this thread for a few days, but have been enjoying the X5 immensely with my LCD-2's & E12 amp.

So have they ever figured out the 5800 file limit? Is it just a limit of files for people who put all their music in 1 folder, or is that a song limit for everybody? I have all my music seperated by artist and album, so im hoping i can hold all my music, I have well over 5800 songs on my computer.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6,563 of 19,652
  So I haven't been following this thread for a few days, but have been enjoying the X5 immensely with my LCD-2's & E12 amp.

So have they ever figured out the 5800 file limit? Is it just a limit of files for people who put all their music in 1 folder, or is that a song limit for everybody? I have all my music seperated by artist and album, so im hoping i can hold all my music, I have well over 5800 songs on my computer.

It's only for tags/database play like "Play All", "Albums", "Artists" etc... If you play by folder you will not face the limit.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #6,564 of 19,652

As far as I can tell, it's a limit only on what the media library will recognize. In folder view, there is no limit.

As to whether or not it's been figured out, James' posts so far indicate that it's a limit not fixable under the constraints of the X5's hardware; however, he's waiting for Joe to provide a more technical explanation as to why this is the case. Whether that limitation holds up if and when people -- inside FiiO or out -- have brought their engineering and/or programming skills to bear on the issue must remain to be seen.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6,566 of 19,652
  It's only for tags/database play like "Play All", "Albums", "Artists" etc... If you play by folder you will not face the limit.

Thanks for the reply, should be OK then, hopefully the 128 GB cards will be shipped out soon, I really want to fill this thing up with all my music now.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #6,567 of 19,652
Also, we have went through the whole RockBox debate too many times - FiiO is bounded by contract not able to provide any code for open source. If you guys really love RB that much, asks some RB dev. to port it for you or becomes a RB dev. yourself. There is nothing much FiiO can help as far as RB goes.
+1 :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #6,568 of 19,652

As far as I can tell, it's a limit only on what the media library will recognize. In folder view, there is no limit.

As to whether or not it's been figured out, James' posts so far indicate that it's a limit not fixable under the constraints of the X5's hardware; however, he's waiting for Joe to provide a more technical explanation as to why this is the case. Whether that limitation holds up if and when people -- inside FiiO or out -- have brought their engineering and/or programming skills to bear on the issue must remain to be seen.

A limit not fixable..

Wow..

Even my Creative Nomad Jukebox from the 2000s had no problem loading more than 5800 songs!

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #6,570 of 19,652

For my part, I'm reasonably sure somebody, somewhere will figure out a workaround other than "use folder view".

Im quite sure someone will..

I just cannot believe that in 2014 we still have these kinds of 'limits'.  Hardware limitations? Umm.. It's not a $50 DAP; sure it's not $2400 like the AK240 but it's still not a 'cheap' device.. at least for me it isn't.
I bought this device so I could listen to music; I don't need a fancy UI or gimmicky applications.. But these limitations get in the way of the listening experience..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back