The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #6,571 of 19,652

As far as I can tell, it's a limit only on what the media library will recognize. In folder view, there is no limit.

That's a relief, if anyone can confirm this is actually the case. 

Still, that is one weird draw back when one of the chief selling points of this device is the potential for very high capacity. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #6,573 of 19,652

Thanks for confirming that you "HAVEN'T GOT" the X5 ! Perhaps, it would be best to cancel, rather than keep posting & complaining about a product you don't OWN, as of yet !! ?

I am sorry that my trying to find out whether or not I should keep the X5 bothers you so much.

And not to let facts come in the way of your strawman - it has been a couple of posts about the issue per se.   The rest of it has been dealing with all the people who seem to keep adding their editorials about the validity of our issues.   Your 2 posts, for example, are a good example - we were almost back on track, and if you could have just controlled your urge to add to the noise, then my only further post would have been to thank James for his reply to my last question and be on my way.

You guys keep fuelling the fire and then complain that the thread is going on and on.   Cant have it both ways.      

If you want a quick and direct answer, it would probably be best to PM "Joe Bloggs" directly who can give you a direct answer. He is great to work with and would be very happy to help you. Remember that he is on Hong Kong time in expecting a quick response.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #6,574 of 19,652
I received my Fiio X5 yesterday and bought a couple 64 GB SD cards. The formatting of these cards was effortless once plugged into the X5, very convenient. The sound, not sure yet in early tests, going to pair it tonight with my Cypher Labs Theorem 720 and see what it sounds like. When plugged directly into my desk top speakers and Sub (Klipsch) I have not really heard a difference playing a track from an Aiff format track from the X5 as compared to playing it from my MacBook Air. 

One question I have is the album art. For the life of me I can not figure out why the tracks I have taken from my files containing album art in Aiff format downloaded from Beatport do not show in the X5. I download from Beatport and play the Aiff files on my iPod no problem. The album art even shows up on my Sync screen in my Ford vehicle when my iPod is plugged in via USB and plays the Aiff files no problem. Why can I not get the art work to show on the X5? Also tried this morning plugging the X5 via USB into the Ford vehicle Sync system and it played and listed only one song. That song was in MP3 Format so it will work with MP's obviously in the Sync of a Ford. It will allow you to play podcasts on the X5 as well but will not allow them to play in the Sync of a Ford (Weird). Will try one more thing though.

So if someone could help with the album art work question it would be greatly appreciated for there is nothing in the Fiio manual. I do have the latest firmware as well as this is a new unit. 1.20

Steve

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #6,576 of 19,652
Update:

I just filled a 8gb with 1000+ mp3, library is now working! Then i proceeded deleting all the Hi res flacs from the 64gb one and still nothing, player freezed bulding the library, then i proceeded deleting all other flacs...still nothing. I just tried deleting some mp3 album and then it worked! Now i just have to add some albums and test it again and find the effin culprit!! Thanks for everyone who helped.

I'll report once I find out who caused this mess :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6,577 of 19,652
I get that there are features that are not desired in China, but they are desired in many parts of the world, and I think it would ultimately be worthwhile to offer two versions of the firmware to suit the needs of multiple users. If taken to the limit, I know this could get out of hand.... but that would be controlled by Fiio. There is a lot to deal with right now, working out the kinks, but I hope Fiio will rise to the task of making the UI on equal (or near equal) footing with other devices. Playlists, genre searching, limits to number of tracks in the dbase, etc. I hope these can be worked out.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #6,578 of 19,652
  Update:

I just filled a 8gb with 1000+ mp3, library is now working! Then i proceeded deleting all the Hi res flacs from the 64gb one and still nothing, player freezed bulding the library, then i proceeded deleting all other flacs...still nothing. I just tried deleting some mp3 album and then it worked! Now i just have to add some albums and test it again and find the effin culprit!! Thanks for everyone who helped.

I'll report once I find out who caused this mess :)

Thanks for your efforts here. This is going to be valuable info for many of us in the future I expect!

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,579 of 19,652

Thanks for your efforts here. This is going to be valuable info for many of us in the future I expect!

Thanks! I want to isolate the problem and understand what caused this and keeping me away from enjoy my new toy :wink: I have a first suspect, an mp3 version of Creedence Clearwater revival 36 songs greatest hits that i remember was untagged, then when tagging with tag&rename I found out it had 2 songs encoded at 64kbps..Must have sourced it years ago from the internet.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #6,580 of 19,652
I get that there are features that are not desired in China, but they are desired in many parts of the world, and I think it would ultimately be worthwhile to offer two versions of the firmware to suit the needs of multiple users. If taken to the limit, I know this could get out of hand.... but that would be controlled by Fiio. There is a lot to deal with right now, working out the kinks, but I hope Fiio will rise to the task of making the UI on equal (or near equal) footing with other devices. Playlists, genre searching, limits to number of tracks in the dbase, etc. I hope these can be worked out.

Yeah, but then I suspect the question will become, "How much do you want to pay for an X5"?

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #6,581 of 19,652
Im quite sure someone will..

I just cannot believe that in 2014 we still have these kinds of 'limits'.  Hardware limitations? Umm.. It's not a $50 DAP; sure it's not $2400 like the AK240 but it's still not a 'cheap' device.. at least for me it isn't.
I bought this device so I could listen to music; I don't need a fancy UI or gimmicky applications.. But these limitations get in the way of the listening experience..

At last, a lone voice of sanity.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #6,583 of 19,652
I wonder if RockBox has an X5 yet
wink_face.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #6,585 of 19,652
I think Fiio will just include more RAM with their next product. Seems like the engineers are telling James, either you can have gapless playback + unlmited scanning OR you can have insanely awesome sound quality. And James said give me insanely awesome sound quality. So they set the RAM to prioritize sound over other functions and set limits on the RAM buffer for gapless and file scanning to not compromise the sound. Now if they had more RAM, this would not be a problem and the DAP could do both things really well. However, the way the X5 is currently built I think it's more a hardware issue that can't be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade for the moment. Basically we need more RAM in the X5.

At least, that's my understanding from what James was saying.

I think Fiio will continue to improve. With the Android based X7 on the way. I'm thinking Fiio will leave a lot of these issues behind. I'm excited for what's coming later this year. RAM is pretty cheap and I think Fiio could double their current capacity quite easily now that they know it's important to do so. Hell just quadruple it just in case.
rolleyes.gif
 (I'm thinking some fool will try to use gapless playback with a 40 minute DSD track and the RAM won't be able to buffer it and this will be a "deal breaker" and they will cancel their order and repeatedly complain of this issue on the X7 thread, but they have never held the X7 in their hands nor heard it)

*I think people need to remember that as passionate audio enthusiasts it's all about the sound quality. I think most people are just blown away by the sound of the X5/X3 so they're more than wllling to live with its limitation. In other words the trade-off factor is more than satisfactory as they just can't get this kind of sound from devices with perfect UI's and better functions. Honestly, even just a 1 year ago there was nothing in the $700 price range that could compare to the X5. I'm very happy it's 2014 and I'm grateful for Fiio, as they don't price their gears at ridiculous prices. So I think critizing the features without hearing the sound is kind of moot, as you won't know if the awesomeness of the sound will overpower the other faults. It's like I'm introducing you to a girl who is unemployeed and is a high school dropout and comes from a family of crimminals. She might look terrible on paper but if you see her in person and she's stunning looking, like the best looking girl you've ever seen in your life, you might not care.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back