The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #6,586 of 19,652
It's like I'm introducing you to a girl who is unemployeed and is a high school dropout and comes from a family of crimminals. She might look terrible on paper but if you see her in person and she's stunning looking, like the best looking girl you've ever seen in your life, you might not care.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's scarily true :D

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #6,587 of 19,652
It's like I'm introducing you to a girl who is unemployeed and is a high school dropout and comes from a family of crimminals. She might look terrible on paper but if you see her in person and she's stunning looking, like the best looking girl you've ever seen in your life, you might not care. :veryevil:  

That's exactly where I am with this player right now. When I just got it about a week ago, I noticed all the little quirks and imperfections and thought to myself: "buuuhhhhhh...", loaded it up with music, plugged my M-100 in, and had a different thought: "HMMMMMMMMMMMMM".

Now I'm not saying the correct course of action here would be sucking it up for the sake of SQ, but this player is much more than what you can see on the surface, and you might miss out on a lot if you focus too hard on some issues!

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,590 of 19,652
FYI: For those of you looking to format your memory cards to FAT32, you actually can do this in Windows without downloading any software. Just open up the command prompt (DOS) and type in: format /fs:FAT32 driveletter: except, of course, replace "driveletter" with the drive letter for your inserted card, and it'll format your card in FAT32. Not sure why this is offered here and not in the GUI, but there you go. For my 64GB card it took about half an hour.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #6,591 of 19,652
Epilogue of the X5 library update failure/freezing.

Yes, my suspects were right! The culprit may be this folder: "Creedence Clearwater Revival Forever 36 Greatest Hits (x)", it contains 2 other folders with cd 1 and cd 2 as mp3 192bkps (downloaded ages ago) plus 2 songs that were (mistakenly?) encoded at 64kbps (seen that with tag&rename). The x stays for "must re-rip" and i'm sad I was so lazy not to do it yesterday and that made me miss 2 whole days :frowning2:

EDIT:

I may be wrong, i think the culprit in the "Various" folder, will give it a look tomorrow, 4 am here :D

If James or Joe want, i can upload the mp3s so they can investigate and understand why these songs were freezing the player library update.

Thanks for everyone who helped me! Now I need to enjoy this new toy :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,592 of 19,652
Some more observations and requests after a week with my X5:  First, the sound is just plain fantastic.  The user interface I can live with; I have no problem with a folder based system, but I have a request.  I would like to have the DAP default to folder view when I turn it on.  I like to turn the player on and have it pick and play the last song played before shutdown, but it is very annoying with the last song playing to have the menu default to a list of all songs by title, instead of showing the album folder for the song that is playing.

A second request - I would like to have a choice of font sizes for the menu.  This is pretty basic and helpful for those of us who have "old eyes".

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #6,593 of 19,652
  FYI: For those of you looking to format your memory cards to FAT32, you actually can do this in Windows without downloading any software. Just open up the command prompt (DOS) and type in: format /fs:FAT32 driveletter: except, of course, replace "driveletter" with the drive letter for your inserted card, and it'll format your card in FAT32. Not sure why this is offered here and not in the GUI, but there you go. For my 64GB card it took about half an hour.

You can also search (i.e. Google) for "GUI Format" and download a little 76kb app that gives you a GUI interface for the same. The nice thing with GUI Format is it lets you do a quick format for those times you don't need a complete wipe so it won't take so long.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6,594 of 19,652
Hello.  Wondering if someone can answer this question.  Does boosting gain on the X5 effect overall sound quality?  Thanks in advance for any assistance!  Otherwise, really love the X5 sound quality.  Quirks and all, in the end, it's all about the sound quality.  Looking forward to hearing comparison between X5 and ibasso DX90...

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #6,595 of 19,652
  Hello.  Wondering if someone can answer this question.  Does boosting gain on the X5 effect overall sound quality?  Thanks in advance for any assistance!  Otherwise, really love the X5 sound quality.  Quirks and all, in the end, it's all about the sound quality.  Looking forward to hearing comparison between X5 and ibasso DX90...

The LOW and HIGH gain modes should not affect the sound until the volume level is extremely high. X5 has the similar behaviour as the X3.

As shown on my plots, under the LOW gain setting, with a standard 50 ohm load, X5 never clips all the way up to Vol.120, even if you play a maximum (full scale) digital signal. The harmonic distortion is around -90dB and almost as low as the overall background noise (which is lower than any background on music recordings anyway). This is great.

When you switch to HIGH gain setting, X5's volume set at 109 is equivalent to 120 on LOW gain. Once you go over the volume 109, X5 starts going into hard clipping, and the distortion becomes crazy. Remember that this is with a full scale digital signal. All your music files should never do this.

So unless you are crazy enough to listen to full scale signals at max volume (you will go deaf), you shouldn't be too worried and just treat the gain setting as a convenience function.

One occasion where this might become a problem is if somebody is trying to use the headphone output as a fixed level line output to another headphone amp. (They might set the gain to HIGH, max out the volume to 120, then send to another headphone amp to reduce the volume). Nobody should do that anyway because X5 has a dedicated line level output which dedicated for this purpose.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #6,596 of 19,652
Does this mean that you should not max out your volume on your DAP when amping it?(that's if you are using headphone output)  The line-out should limit the ouput so it doesn't introduce distortions at high output correct?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,599 of 19,652
  Does this mean that you should not max out your volume on your DAP when amping it?(that's if you are using headphone output)  The line-out should limit the ouput so it doesn't introduce distortions at high output correct?

Usually the maximum output of a DAP is higher than what many amps are expecting to receive, so using them at a lower than maximum volume or using the line out is the best option.

Maybe its just my headphones but switching to Hi Gain doesn't just raise the volume, it raises all the frequencies so that the sound is fuller if that makes any sense. Its not just a difference in volume I am hearing.

It is just the volume difference I'm afraid. The loudness affects the frequency response of your ears and the music seems fuller. If you're ever comparing components, you have to be careful to volume match as a consequence as one can easily end up thinking one sounds better than the other because there was a couple of dB difference in the volume.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6,600 of 19,652
Gapless is Fixed!

That's right -- in the latest firmware beta, 1.22, gapless now works perfectly.

I was having a unique problem with my X5 which may or may not be a hardware issue, and Fiio's excellent customer service suggested I download version 1.22 of the firmware.  Unfortunately, it didn't fix my issue, but I was presently surprised to find that the album on which the problem I'm having occurred now plays completely gapless -- not the slightest hint of a delay between tracks.

Thanks, Fiio!  You guys are the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back