The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #5,986 of 19,652
I just got my tracking as well from Headroom. I really hope this thing is good because I am still somewhat sad my DX50 got lost on its way back to China for repair
frown.gif
. Should have insured it.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,987 of 19,652
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,989 of 19,652
Here here.  Having read the various threads on the subject I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.  If they were subject to UK consumer law, they would be on very dodgy ground.

Easy...they have been nothing but nice...I was fully aware they were taking the money upfront because of my using PayPal, and I was the one who ASS-umed they would be first in line...I am still happy with their determination to he absolutely honest with me about dates...

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,990 of 19,652
Just got my unit, came in pristine condition. So far loving the sound compared my nexus 5 and sandisk clip which became my main player after being rockboxed. Menu is as cumbersome with the buttons with no form of indications which buttons acts as what function. You get used to it over time but is very frustrating up front.

One down side I'm experiencing is the lack of manual bass and treble settings which were present in the fiio x3, not sure why it was removed in the x5 and surprised none of the reviews mention this ( that I can recall of anyway). Will play with equalizer for a while but can't replicate the increase in bass I like on certain mood plays. Will do a more thorough review with my lack of audio knowledge later. Will try out some blues tracks later on with Miles Davis.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,991 of 19,652
Got my shipping notice from headroom as well.  I'll have it Monday.   Shame they didn't arrive yesterday so I would have it for the weekend but Monday works.   Gives me time to transfer music to a couple cards.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #5,993 of 19,652

Unfortunately I do not have the sony unit on-hand to compare to anymore. However listening to some blues tracks I can tell the x5 has a nice warm sound over the zx1. Otherwise overall though I would have to put it right there in terms of sq easily. I think both devices can compete hand to hand.

Messing with the eq a bit to get the right sound I like for heavy bass and power rock songs. Some ppl just like having a flat eq to experience a songs original recording, me however I'm a bass head and I feel the bass punch from the x3 is much greater over the x5 even with a custom eq setup.

Update: Going to reserve my judgment until later. The more I mess with the custom Eq the more I love this player and can't believe the clarity. The overall depth, soundstage and clarity is above what I was expecting. The clip has been demoted to gym player with the x5 becoming my main player. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #5,994 of 19,652
Anyone got the X5 and an HM-901? I've got an X3 and HM-901, but I think I am going to send the X3 back tomorrow. The HM-901 sounds pretty great, but I question if it is worth the price, especially with the piss-poor UI, but I am quickly learning all of these new high-res audio players have UI issues...

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,995 of 19,652
I have a little more to say today about the controls, I see that there are Fiio representatives here, so I hope this would help them identify some areas for improvement in future firmware updates.

Lets start with
- pausing and resuming a song - I don't have any complaints about this - seems to work great, seamless and instantaneous.
- next/previous song - I wish the next song change was as smooth as the pausing and resuming the same song. It usually takes about a 0.5-1 seconds for the next song to start playing. It's definitely not a huge problem but, I'd really love it if it could be done instantaneously, with the push of the button. I seem to remember someone mentioning this previously in the thread and suggested buffering at least the next song in the playlist so it'd be ready to play, but what I am about to say in the next point probably points to this technique already being used, so I don't know if Fiio has any other ideas or even if people think this is an issue - it might just be me being picky and finicky...
- starting any song other than the next one in the playlist - this takes about 2-3 seconds for me. At first I thought this was a problem because I was changing directories, but with further testing it seems to me that it doesn't matter if the song is in the same directory or in another, or even on the other microSD card - it always takes about this time for switching between the songs. I'd really love if Fiio manages to speed up this process. The reason I said above that I assume the software is already buffering the next song in the playlist is the difference between changing between next song and any other song(be it in the same directory or in a different directory on the other micro SD card).
-the gapless playback mode - some people reported problems with it, but for me it works really well - seamless and smooth(as long as it is the next song in the playlist that's played next and it's not in shuffle mode(which seems to disable the gapless mode).
-I have no idea what people around this corner of the internet think about crossfading, but I'd love to have a simple crossfade option, which might be able to alleviate the aforementioned wait periods between switching songs on the go(i.e. start fading out the current track while buffering in the next one).
-I'd also love if Fiio can implement some simple playlist support, so we are not limited to using preset folders and categories.

Other than that, I love my X5, the sound is awesome and is really tempting me to get some better headphones or IEMs to be able to fully appreciate the sound quality.
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #5,996 of 19,652
  Anyone got the X5 and an HM-901? I've got an X3 and HM-901, but I think I am going to send the X3 back tomorrow. The HM-901 sounds pretty great, but I question if it is worth the price, especially with the piss-poor UI, but I am quickly learning all of these new high-res audio players have UI issues...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #5,997 of 19,652
I got my X5  from miccastore and loving it..
Need suggestion....i use fiio e17 as dac and e12 as amp to play movies and songs from my mac..i would like to know if there would any change if i use x5 as dac and e12 as amp for my mac or just use x5 as dac/amp

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #5,998 of 19,652
http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/224p94/the_fiio_x5_has_arrived_taken_with_a_potato/

Headroom staff just posted a photo of the X5 units they received today. Most have been shipped out already. And they also claim they have less than 10 units left (posted 6 hours ago).

Just a heads up

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,999 of 19,652
Originally Posted by pe3ucTop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- pausing and resuming a song - I don't have any complaints about this - seems to work great, seamless and instantaneous.
- next/previous song - I wish the next song change was as smooth as the pausing and resuming the same song. It usually takes about a 0.5-1 seconds for the next song to start playing. It's definitely not a huge problem but, I'd really love it if it could be done instantaneously, with the push of the button. I seem to remember someone mentioning this previously in the thread and suggested buffering at least the next song in the playlist so it'd be ready to play, but what I am about to say in the next point probably points to this technique already being used, so I don't know if Fiio has any other ideas or even if people think this is an issue - it might just be me being picky and finicky...

Good feedback, thanks! I am liking reading people's first impressions whilst still waiting for mine to arrive. I am glad to hear pause/play works great, but am a little bummed about the skip track delay. Here's hoping with all the feedback on it, it might get a little better in future updates. Or that it will sound so good, my fingers won't be so restless on the next button 
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #6,000 of 19,652
Pretty sure th
  http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/224p94/the_fiio_x5_has_arrived_taken_with_a_potato/

Headroom staff just posted a photo of the X5 units they received today. Most have been shipped out already. And they also claim they have less than 10 units left (posted 6 hours ago).

Just a heads up

I'm pretty sure they must all be spoken for, as you can no longer order them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back