The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #5,026 of 19,652
Mine will arrive thursday with a taiwanese friend visiting CEBIT. 
Will keep posted, though not sure i would offer this as a service. Was not my intention. 

Would that be allowed in this forum?

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #5,028 of 19,652
Does the X5 have a built in amp, or will I need to buy one? I have a pair of JH Roxanne's on order that should be here by April 7, however currently using my iPhone 5 for music, with no amp or accessories besides my headphones.

I've also never heard true lossless music before, where do I obtain it?

@ laHawkeye...      if your wanting some true lossless music to try out or just have it available for testing your setup out then I don't think you can get much better than this site....( its free )

http://www.2l.no/           in the upper right hand corner is the drop down box... click on Test Bench HD      after the page opens up choose the file format you want to test for the song you are going to download...   it will ask you to log in...  just put in 2L  then  2L      the download will start...   after the file gets downloaded just extract the file and use a proper player for playback... for these types of true lossless files I use JRiver Media Center 19

What is nice about those files is the choice of formats and the fact that the recordings have been chosen for testing purposes...   if you hear any issues while playing these files then you need to examine your setup as there is most likely something wrong in your hardware chain... it wont be the file...  

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #5,032 of 19,652

Awesome, I'm assuming you're talking about the SanDisk Ultra one? Definitely gonna have to get one (two eventually) of these!

$119 on amazon!

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,033 of 19,652
Ok quick question.  If I am at home listening to FLAC music, with all things equal if I had the same Lossless file on the X5 and on my computer which would sound better?  I use HDMI out to a Denon X1000 receiver.  Is there really going to be much of a difference assuming I am using the same headphones for both which is low impedance. 

I know it's almost a rhetorical question but looking for someone who has heard both really.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #5,035 of 19,652
Aural bliss!

I was in the same predicament!

I bit the bullet and got the x3 and received it today.

I'm like wow! The x3 even makes my bose QC 15 headphone sound like a capable set of cans.
My JH 16s purr. 

At $200, it's easier to justify. The x3 has been out for over a year. With the x5 there are surely to be issues.
My thinking is that I'll let all the kinks get worked out and will buy it down the road.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #5,036 of 19,652
  Aural bliss!

I was in the same predicament!

I bit the bullet and got the x3 and received it today.

I'm like wow! The x3 even makes my bose QC 15 headphone sound like a capable set of cans.
My JH 16s purr. 

At $200, it's easier to justify. The x3 has been out for over a year. With the x5 there are surely to be issues.
My thinking is that I'll let all the kinks get worked out and will buy it down the road.

I'm thinking that too.  Let the bugs get sorted out.  But the comments from the preview editions have been positive... that $200 could be the E12 :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #5,038 of 19,652
Hey just a quick question, will the FiiO X5 be supported with Mediamonkey? Cause i sorted all my music files in Mediamonkey. Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5,039 of 19,652
  Hey just a quick question, will the FiiO X5 be supported with Mediamonkey? Cause i sorted all my music files in Mediamonkey. Thanks in advance!

Supported?

There is no 'support' in terms of synching. 

If the way you sorted your files on MediaMonkey means modifying the id3 tags or placing them in folders, then yes, otherwise no.

All the X5 will do, is take the files, and either sort them by categories using the id3 tags OR, you can use browse mode. In where the files will appear as they are on your SD card on your compute.r 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5,040 of 19,652
  Ok quick question.  If I am at home listening to FLAC music, with all things equal if I had the same Lossless file on the X5 and on my computer which would sound better?  I use HDMI out to a Denon X1000 receiver.  Is there really going to be much of a difference assuming I am using the same headphones for both which is low impedance. 

I know it's almost a rhetorical question but looking for someone who has heard both really.

Honestly speaking, you'd be very hard picked to pick up any audible differences between 2 similarly-designed solid-state DACs/amps with comparable numbers, provided that there are no output power/impedance mismatch issues.     Slight volume imbalances and human perception/bias add a layer of variability that is orders of magnitude higher than the actual differences in sound.  

In your specific case, however, I dont know the quality of the X1000's amp section, so cannot comment on how it is going to work out.    Knowing Denon's general high quality, I doubt if you will notice much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back