The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #4,996 of 19,652
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #4,997 of 19,652
Still no word on the release date? Surely they have made their decision by now for when this very desired new DAP will be supplied to merchants for sale to consumers. I think many of us just need a date for sale to consumers.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #4,998 of 19,652

I don't think that's the perspective he is coming from at all.  It is also completely justified to come to the conclusion that using a device with more flexibility is superior to one which compromises quality for the sake of ease and ignorance.  That is what he is talking about.  Nobody is arguing against improved ergonomics.  From that perspective, indeed I think Apple did a great thing initially with iOS.  As with all things like Apple, the last part of what he says is precisely true.  Maybe it's a little cynical but it's the truth.  There is a clear benefit to actually understanding how something works and having control over it, at least minimally - that over being limited to a set way which cannot be worked around and is targeted for imbeciles.  It lowers standards and feeds ignorance where it isn't necessary, lessening the quality, integrity, and experience for everyone in the process.  I don't entirely think that about Apple products but the effect is the same.  It's an argument for being informed about the things you interact with, especially so frequently.  If Apple didn't build their things with the bare minimum of quality components that they do, I would have no regard for an argument on their behalf because it would no doubt be founded in ignorance.  It would almost be like arguing for Beats.

Yes, I just wish the average person knew more about their computer. ALL computers break, get bugs, viruses and other problems, and Apple fosters an attitude of "Bring it to the store" to fix it, rather than learning about the problem and fixing it yourselves, which is more of a Linux or Windows attitude. These are of course broad strokes, not everybody thinks like that. But in an ideal world more people would be knowledgeable about the inner workings of things, which Apple makes a conscious decision to hide from people. I also wish more people drove manual cars, because it teaches you how engines work, and built their own houses because it teaches you structural foundations and basic engineering, but I get that not all people are as intellectually thirsty, and just want simplicity. I just think it's a shame, and that learning should be encouraged at all turns, not spoonfed to people.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #4,999 of 19,652
  Yes, I just wish the average person knew more about their computer. ALL computers break, get bugs, viruses and other problems, and Apple fosters an attitude of "Bring it to the store" to fix it, rather than learning about the problem and fixing it yourselves, which is more of a Linux or Windows attitude. These are of course broad strokes, not everybody thinks like that. But in an ideal world more people would be knowledgeable about the inner workings of things, which Apple makes a conscious decision to hide from people. I also wish more people drove manual cars, because it teaches you how engines work, and built their own houses because it teaches you structural foundations and basic engineering, but I get that not all people are as intellectually thirsty, and just want simplicity. I just think it's a shame, and that learning should be encouraged at all turns, not spoonfed to people.

Yes, we certainly agree on that.  I can be a bit of an idealist but in the case of making of a product which has the best of both worlds, I don't think that's unrealistic at all and I agree with criticism when it's made of our culture when it comes to not wanting to think and be spoon-fed everything.  A culture like that is bound to fail, meanwhile those of us who realize this have to live within this context.  As a matter of fact, I don't think there's enough criticism on this front as it seems to be taboo to criticize anything or anyone.  That's obviously coming from those very same people or moderates who don't realize the stake in the matter.  

In any case, I love FiiO because of the fact that they don't placate to that market when they can easily choose that direction.  They value quality and integrity and I obviously respect that.  I do think however they could do a better job at marketing to that crowd if they wanted to which would only spread awareness of matters of audio a bit to the public.  Knowledge about things concerning audio is way too internal and changes therefore are really slow.  Once again, I commend FiiO for doing what they're doing in that sense.  I mean, yes, there will always be a huge amount of ignorance in the consumer market (heck there's even a lot in the supposed professional market), but if you compare video (e.g., TV's and monitors) to audio, there is a huge disparity there in terms of the considerations people have in their investment.  In other words, you're very unlikely to have something like Beats be successful in the video world.  In any case, that's my lot, lol.  We can always benefit from more information.  Consciously with that in mind certainly helps keep you nimble in your search for products on the market and I don't think anyone can argue against that, even with perhaps the difference in views they may have about certain companies/products.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #5,000 of 19,652
This is the internet, if you put something out there, expect a contradictory opinion.

However, I did not see CleiOS's statement to be an attack on you in anyway. After your response I was wondering why you got so worked up.

You should scroll back to see how I was attacked when stating that the X5 wouldn't work for me without adding Artist -> Album -> Song to the UI (which that announced that they will be doing.). This is the internet, don't have such a thin skin if you want to play in the sandbox. I did not perceive that you were attacked as an independent observer.

Now back to the X5...

We should start a club.   :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,001 of 19,652

2 points:

1/ Just b/c you make an assertion doesnt make it true.

2/ Just b/c you have one belief system doesnt make it a universal truth, nor does it imply that people who feel otherwise "lack intellectual thirst" (not meant as an attack, but do you know how presumptuous that sounds???)

I am going to leave it at that.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #5,004 of 19,652

We should start a club.   :)

That would only accomplish segregating us :wink:  People just need to be more receptive of ideas which they haven't thought of or are otherwise dismissive of or rightfully argue against them.  Dismissing ideas altogether (in whatever way that is done) should only be done and reserved for cases which clearly aren't at all sensible in the sense that they don'y apply or obviously are otherwise somehow not completely sane (in which case it still shouldn't be dealt with by tyranny of the majority).

2 points:

1/ Just b/c you make an assertion doesnt make it true.

2/ Just b/c you have one belief system doesnt make it a universal truth, nor does it imply that people who feel otherwise "lack intellectual thirst" (not meant as an attack, but do you know how presumptuous that sounds???)

I am going to leave it at that.

I'm sorry but I have to say that what he said about those matters really are obvious..  Apple really doesn't even make a conscious effort in hiding it.  It is both, their business and their marketing strategy.  The argument here would be whether this has good or bad implications.  I submit that it is nothing good, certainly from the consumer standpoint at the very least...

are we talking about X5 anymore?

Tangentially :wink:  But yeah, we really should get fully back on topic.  I will stay on it from this point on and hopefully my inquiry regarding a S/PDIF input will be further addressed in terms of whether or not it will be considered for future implementation.  It would be nice to know officially whether or not I should look forward to it.  So far I see no opposing reason to strongly consider it at least.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,005 of 19,652
There's a lot of extraneous bickering going on in this thread and serving to fill it with clutter that does not pertain to the X5. Can the people debating start a new thread instead of filling this thread with ceaseless opinions about unrelated matters. I might be relatively new on these forums but this thread has been hijacked for the most part. Moderators? 

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #5,007 of 19,652
  Now back to the bat station (X5).

So don't you think they made a fatal mistake not offering the X5 in cool colors? :)

*yes saracasm*

I don't know...blue, red, or even gold would look pretty cool! 
cool.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,010 of 19,652
Does the X5 have a built in amp, or will I need to buy one? I have a pair of JH Roxanne's on order that should be here by April 7, however currently using my iPhone 5 for music, with no amp or accessories besides my headphones.

I've also never heard true lossless music before, where do I obtain it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back