The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 6, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4,981 of 19,652
  I think that just means there will be a dedicated icon for switching the source to play from USB.

Whoa, I've got to pay closer attention to this thread. Playing from USB? Awesome. I figure it has been stated somewhere (and this might be good to put on p1), but what will this include? 

-iPhone with Lightning Adaptor?
-iPhone with Camera Connector Kit?
-Android Phone?
-Streaming audio from a computer (Spotify, webpage, etc)?
-Any properly formatted hard drive? 
-A flash drive?

Ohhhh, very exciting possibilities. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #4,982 of 19,652
Mainly for connecting external storage.

The X5 doesn't work as a USB DAC for iDevices (as least not yet) bcos it draws too much power from them.

Quote:
  Whoa, I've got to pay closer attention to this thread. Playing from USB? Awesome. I figure it has been stated somewhere (and this might be good to put on p1), but what will this include? 

-Android Phone?
-A flash drive?

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #4,983 of 19,652
Yes, OTG stands for On The Go. It is an Android system that allows the reading of memory cards through a device's USB port. It will be implemented on the X5 in the next FW. The X5 comes with an OTG cable accessory for this function.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #4,984 of 19,652

-Android Phone?
-A flash drive?

it generally means USB memory storage only, like thumbdrive and high possibility HDD, depends on how much power X5 can provide via the usb port. Hard drive format will be in question, thus, we will be waiting for the implementation to be rolled out :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #4,985 of 19,652
  Even if not your intention, why must you make me look like a fool?  ..

Well, someone is being touchy today, though I am not feeling apologetic. If you can't take an opposite opinion and think everyone must be out to get you, you shouldn't be in a forum. I am going to stop at that.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,987 of 19,652

Well, someone is being touchy today, though I am not feeling apologetic. If you can't take an opposite opinion and think everyone must be out to get you, you shouldn't be in a forum. I am going to stop at that.

That is not what I think at all.  What I wrote wasn't at all reactionary as perhaps you may think.  I didn't expect such a response from you to be quite honest.  And btw, your opinion didn't contradict mine, as I stated.  You argued against a point I obviously didn't make for not so obvious a purpose.  It's not a difference of opinion that was the issue.  I don't simply state something with no basis, which if you haven't read my previous comments, is the minimum you should grant me if you're going to make a statement in response such as you did.  Now you're accusing me of being a bigot who shouldn't be on a forum where instead being pretentious such as you're being now is apparently the right way of behaving.  It doesn't matter who you are or what your credentials are, there's no need to act like a snob which I only accuse you of now.  I also didn't ask for an apology; I was trying to reason with you and expected you to formulate an actually relevant response.  Furthermore, with the statement you quoted, I was trying to be polite by saying it that way and you take advantage to further exploit the image you're very obvious now trying to project onto me.  Wow, I honestly thought you were better.  Kind of disappointing actually...

it generally means USB memory storage only, like thumbdrive and high possibility HDD, depends on how much power X5 can provide via the usb port. Hard drive format will be in question, thus, we will be waiting for the implementation to be rolled out :)

Wasn't it also said to work with the computer at some point?  I thought people already tried that out.  Support for OTG USB is obviously also a possibility as has been stated.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4,989 of 19,652
That is not what I think at all.  What I wrote wasn't at all reactionary.  I actually didn't expect such a response from you.  And btw, your opinion didn't contradict mine, as I stated.  You argued against a point I obviously didn't make for not so obvious a purpose.  It's not a difference of opinion that was the issue.  I don't simply state something with no basis which if you haven't read my previous comments is the minimum you should grant someone if you're going to make a statement in response as you did.  Now you're accusing me of being a bigot who shouldn't be on a forum where instead being pretentious such as you're being now is apparently the right way of behaving.  It doesn't matter who you are or what your credentials are, there's no need to act like a snob which I only accuse you of now.  Also, with the statement you quoted, I was trying to be polite by saying it that way and you take advantage to further exploit the image you're very obvious now trying to project onto me.  Wow, I honestly thought you were better...

This is the internet, if you put something out there, expect a contradictory opinion.

However, I did not see CleiOS's statement to be an attack on you in anyway. After your response I was wondering why you got so worked up.

You should scroll back to see how I was attacked when stating that the X5 wouldn't work for me without adding Artist -> Album -> Song to the UI (which that announced that they will be doing.). This is the internet, don't have such a thin skin if you want to play in the sandbox. I did not perceive that you were attacked as an independent observer.

Now back to the X5...

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4,990 of 19,652
This is the internet, if you put something out there, expect a contradictory opinion.

However, I did not see CleiOS's statement to be an attack on you in anyway. After your response I was wondering why you got so worked up.

You should scroll back to see how I was attacked when stating that the X5 wouldn't work for me without adding Artist -> Album -> Song to the UI (which that announced that they will be doing.). This is the internet, don't have such a thin skin if you want to play in the sandbox. I did not perceive that you were attacked as an independent observer.

Now back to the X5...

Didn't say I was attacked.  I said that the statement wasn't necessary and the implications of it far outweigh its value if any.  If you consider the only point in making the statement he did, you'd understand where I was coming from.  

Having a thin or thick skin only applies to how well you take criticism.  That wasn't criticism.  I don't mind a contradictory opinion as long as there's no appeal to the majority in the opposing argument and there's actual reasoning involved, almost always including a back and forth.  That was obviously not even close to being the direction he decided on taking.  There was no argument or contradictory views - only what I've already mentioned about it, and that's why I got a bit frustrated with it.  I very clearly stated what my thoughts on the matter were, but instead that was completely ignored with now further attempts at undermining any value of what I said, putting everything aside.  I wouldn't like to repeat myself on that front.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #4,991 of 19,652
I was responding to ONE single point of yours, that you suggest FiiO to include S/PDIF input in its future DAP, which I think is an non-essential function, based on the belief that resource should be better used to improve the basic function instead of adding more. I'll rather have a DAP that is just-great-as-a-DAP instead of a "semi-DAP + DAC + whatever everyone wants" audio frankenstein. You can't argue that every extra feature will cost something - either it is the PCB size, the parts cost, battery life, complex firmware coding, etc. The problem is, where do we stop adding features? Someones wants S/PDID input here, another wants native DXD support there, then another wants USB Host for USB DAC, then maybe someone want Android with Playstore access that allows for audio apps... All great and valid idea to someone, but eventually it is not a DAP anymore. My opinion is, let a DAP be a DAP first. In fact, let it be a great DAP first, everything else can wait.

I don't know who and what you are not happy about before my previous comment (which I do not read, as I don't care about them), but obviously it is you who are over-thinking a simple response to something more sinister in nature.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4,992 of 19,652
  Wasn't it also said to work with the computer at some point?  I thought people already tried that out.  Support for OTG USB is obviously also a possibility as has been stated.

Work with computer as a USB DAC I assume. That is a separate functionality not related with USB OTG. In USB Dac mode, computer is the host while the USB Dac is the slave. In USB OTG function, the device itself, in this situation, X5, is the host while thumbdrive and HDD is the slave.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #4,993 of 19,652
Sorry to ask you mate......BUT did u read clearly and understood what bowei commented and what I had asked him to his?

Going by what you quoted, it looked like it was a question about X5's storage capacity, which is no onboard storage and 2x TF slots with up to 128gb each (256gb total).

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #4,994 of 19,652
  I was responding to ONE single point of yours, that you suggest FiiO to include S/PDIF input in its future DAP, which I think is an non-essential function, based on the belief that resource should be better used to improve the basic function instead of adding more. I'll rather have a DAP that is just-great-as-a-DAP instead of a "semi-DAP + DAC + whatever everyone wants" audio frankenstein. You can't argue that every extra feature will cost something - either it is the PCB size, the parts cost, battery life, complex firmware coding, etc. The problem is, where do we stop adding features? Someones wants S/PDID input here, another wants native DXD support there, then another wants USB Host for USB DAC, then maybe someone want Android with Playstore access that allows for audio apps... All great and valid idea to someone, but eventually it is not a DAP anymore. My opinion is, let a DAP be a DAP first. In fact, let it be a great DAP first, everything else can wait.

I don't know who and what you are not happy about before my previous comment (which I do not read, as I don't care about them), but obviously it is you who are over-thinking a simple response to something more sinister in nature.

There we go, now that's a response!  Thank you, sincerely.  So, you asked at what point do you stop?  The answer is simple: when you start to compromise the quality of the main components .  Like I said from the beginning, I never argued against that, although just because your interests in the device are personally limited doesn't automatically create the necessity to be conservative minded about the nature of the whole thing.  It's a matter of design to get as much functionality into the device without compromising anything.  There's no point to list everything as you did because it's literally one crucial function away from having everything, the one which I mention.  As I said, you could've been making this argument from the very beginning before anything was known about the device and it's really not beneficial from any perspective..  More functionality lets you take advantage of the quality that is the integral and primary part of the design, as I agree should be and obviously is.  Once that is known, it is only being stubborn not to consider any other additions/suggestions, especially when there's nothing really left to add but this one component which would contribute significantly to the use for this device.

My previous posts btw were simply the details and reasoning behind my suggestion.  

Work with computer as a USB DAC I assume. That is a separate functionality not related with USB OTG. In USB Dac mode, computer is the host while the USB Dac is the slave. In USB OTG function, the device itself, in this situation, X5, is the host while thumbdrive and HDD is the slave.

Ah, alright.  Thanks!  I actually didn't know that as a matter of fact (probably should've).  I just thought by your previous comment you implied that it would ONLY work as a link to storage media.  Nevermind then.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #4,995 of 19,652
gentleman: pls read my comment with your eyes opened wide,understand it, before replying me in BOLD.
mad.gif

Sorry. I meant to reply to bowei. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back