The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,186 of 19,652
  Well I have been having a little 4-way DAP-bang on my Hidition NT6, which for those who do not know them, are top tier ciems slightly on the bright side. The DAPs used are 901 with balanced card (I will try the iem card later), the X5, the Tera Player (Super Duper jack) and Sony ZX1.

Well the first good news is: the NT6 sounds awesome on all of them. If I get a bit more into details:

1. The Tera has the typical Tera sounds, ultra smooth and analog but keeping nice punch and dynamics. The stage is a bit more intimate than the ZX1 of course, but the ZX1 will be also a bit more fatiguing
  2. The ZX1 has ultimate clarity and space. The stage is wide, deep and airy. the sound echoes in a vibrant way. As the NT6 is slightly bright, and the ZX1 quite cold sounding, sound may be a little harsh or fatiguing on certain recordings
  3. The 901 balanced is neutral with a little warmth and smoothness, but also with great detail, but most of all awesome power and authority. The sound is spacious yet full bodied.
  4. The X5 is very slightly less warm and smooth than the 901, more neutral still. Works very well with the NT6. The sound is closer to the 901 than the other two in terms of sig. I still think the 901 has the edge in technical terms and overal pleasure. The X5 performs awesomely, at this price or at any price. I stand by what I said when I said it performed is at 90% of 901 sound quality. However, 10% is something at this level, so if you are an audiophile, it IS STILL WORTH IT OWNING THE 901. I will not sell my 901 to get a X5, but if I could have only one, I might get the X5.

My conclusion at this stage:
  1. If you want a great overall package and top SQ, get the X5.
  2. If you like neutral yet organic sound and want reference sound, get the 901.
  3. If you like space, clarity, details, a great design and an awesome UI, get the ZX1
  4. The Tera well...you have to fall in love with the unique analog sound and the simplicity. But it does pair wonderfully with the NT6

All i gotta say is that the X5 is the bang for ur bucks!!!

best purchase thus far for 2014

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,187 of 19,652
I'm wondering that as well'as a post buried in here asking same thing (unanswered). Following the world tour reviews, so far none had any HD25 variant.

That unanswered post was mine 
frown.gif

Anyways, judging from previous impressions am I right to say that both the X5 and HD25's have similar sound siggy (neutral-ish)?

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4,188 of 19,652

Mainly because a 'local launch' gives them much more control if any unforeseen issue should arise. If it is hardware problem, an fix and exchange can be carried out swiftly. If it is software issue, they have better local feedback because there won't be any language barrier between the user and the software team. That's why they prefer to launch their products in China first in smaller batch, making sure what they have tested in house will also hold up in the hand of the user. In the case when it does fail, at least they will be around to offer help. It is just FiiO's way of trying to play it safe.

I guess you will either like it or hate it when it comes to Tera. Personally I don't really have much love on it when I have the chance to listen to it on the last Mook Festival.

It is good for us international folks but bad for China. We all appreciate the sacrifice. I like the fact Fiio is careful, there is no incentive in shipping a product that will fail en masse.

Quote:

Personally I appreciate this...a lot...after watching the DX50 release from afar. Not sure if iBasso did the same thing, but knowing FiiO have checked and double-checked everything through multiple layers of caution makes me rather happy.

I have my Paypal account stocked up and waiting patiently for the international release...I don't usually buy brand new, but plan to for the X5.

iBasso seems to have a different model, it is not bad as such but causes a lot grief when things go bad, when it goes right they look good. It's a dangerous ground to walk on. I am not sure about the size of each but it really sounds that iBasso is small so you got limited resource to throw at it before things start bending out of shape. You got to give credits where credits are due, they were able to pump up updates to fix some of their major issues. We can all go about our theory related to beta testing and how they can drive their business, at the end of the day you've got a product to sell and limited resource to do it. To conclude, they all have their good and bad, it is just how much of each you can tolerate.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #4,190 of 19,652
On the pairing front...
id love to knw how it pairs with momentums, ie80, 1r and xba-3...
I for one as I havr stated b4 in the forums have been waiting patiently for the x5 ever since the x3 was released....

I can only speak for the Momentum (over the ears) and for a period of about 6 days, full time at work. The pairing is great, I don't feel I miss a beat or a note with them, the power is more than enough, due to their close nature, they are not suffering from crank me up syndrome from harder to drive headphones. The Momentum headphones are friendly phones that seem to pair nicely with a wide range of players so the X5 is no different. You have to try it to believe it.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,191 of 19,652
iBasso seems to have a different model, it is not bad as such but causes a lot grief when things go bad, when it goes right they look good. It's a dangerous ground to walk on. I am not sure about the size of each but it really sounds that iBasso is small so you got limited resource to throw at it before things start bending out of shape. You got to give credits where credits are due, they were able to pump up updates to fix some of their major issues. We can all go about our theory related to beta testing and how they can drive their business, at the end of the day you've got a product to sell and limited resource to do it. To conclude, they all have their good and bad, it is just how much of each you can tolerate.

That's true, indeed, you never know what's going on behind the scenes, and I was rather impressed with the rapidity with which iBasso's updates came for the firmware...mea culpa, my observations were more selfish than anything else...I am just happy that there will be an extra cushion of testing between me and the product's international release :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4,194 of 19,652
I try 901 (with balance card), I'm very impress in its powerful sound, dynamic. How X5 compare to 901 in these areas. Please let me know your opinion.

Anyhow 901 with balance card seem to be too bold for my taste, but curious that it will serve me well with another card. It's a shame that I cannot try it with different card.

So X5 seems to be the safer choice to go and I has money left for ATH-W5000 :D
If budget matters, get the X5. The 901 has slightly more body, bass depth, but the X5 does great. I would say in the areas you mention X5 should satisfy you.

I just got the iem card but prefer the balanced card so far.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,195 of 19,652
Mim , if I like warmer sound , and usually use stuff like the ie8/ie80 or warm sounding cans , which one do you think would fit me ? According to your description I would be best going for the X5? How does the ZX 1 pairs with warmer iems?
I would say if you really like warm sound, stick with 901 or X5. The ZX1 pairs wonderfully with warm iems but makes them more neutral.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #4,196 of 19,652
What has anyone's experience with burn in on the X5? 

Mine has been running for about 18 hours now. I hear changes, up and down in sound quality. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,197 of 19,652
  What has anyone's experience with burn in on the X5? 

Mine has been running for about 18 hours now. I hear changes, up and down in sound quality. 

I never did a formal burn in - I just listened to it from day 1. If there were changes, I think that they were fairly subtle. I am probably at 70+ hours now so I guess my X5 is burned in.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #4,200 of 19,652
I plugged an amp in and noticed quite a difference, improvement, so I think the amp section needs to settle. Since it sounded pretty good out of the box, I expect it to improve to that point and then get better, which has often been my experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back