The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,782 of 19,652

- Occasional rewind of a track, there's a burst or snippet of what was in the buffer (maybe flushing?) before playing the start of the track. Again happens only occasionally.

I speculate that this might be related to the way the 'Gapless' function is implemented in the firmware, rather than a permanent hardware issue.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,786 of 19,652
hI GUYS so iv been rocking the AK100 for a while now and im looking to shake things up abit. 

where can i find a X5 vs ak100 comparison ???

Cuz i dont mind selling my Ak100 and getting the X5 , but if it already "better" then Nvm Id go in the direction of the DX90. Just looking for something to pair with my ASG-2 without an amp if possible, though i never found the 22ohm a problem with the ASG-2. 

So how ? do i Sell the Ak100, cuz here in Singapore MSRP is still $899 SGD and the X5 here is $500 SGD so i could easily sell my AK100 for like $750SGD and buy the X5 , but i prefer not to go backwards if you know what i mean , even if it is just a little. 

I am sure I read it somewhere in this thread, or the X5 world tour thread that X5 outshines AK100. At least two users made similar comments.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #3,787 of 19,652
I am sure I read it somewhere in this thread, or the X5 world tour thread that X5 outshines AK100. At least two users made similar comments.

not so quick, i saw similar comments when dx50 came out, later bought one myself and can only tell you that RWA Ak100 pure outshines dx50 amped with Tralucent T1 amp, of course margin is not that huge anymore but still considering ak100 portability and versatility and taking into accont the mod i think it is good DAP and expensive one too :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #3,788 of 19,652
I do have the AK100 MK2 (which I'm using right now actually with my blue on-ear Momentums :p).

Review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10376

I think lee has the AK120 and compared it favorable as well taking into consideration that the X5 will retail for $350 or so!!
eek.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3,789 of 19,652

Strike 1 for the X5.

It's mid button came off. If you scroll counterclockwise for a bit and touch the middle button with some 'force' while doing it. The middle button will co me off.

First time it's happened to me.

The mid button and scroll wheel are a bit jiggly. FiiO is still on vacation but... I would like to see some improvement in this when they get back.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,790 of 19,652

Yep a few members reported it, I can't comment on the AK100 and the X5 but I have a DX50 and X5, I wouldn't say the X5 outclass the DX50, they are just different DAC/amp implementations with their pros and cons. Each have their own sonic space so I wouldn't be so fast to outclass one over the other, it's all about your taste and your trusted ears. You are the only one who could safely make the determination and it will be your choice, not the neighbor.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,791 of 19,652

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Strike 1 for the X5.

It's mid button came off. If you scroll counterclockwise for a bit and touch the middle button with some 'force' while doing it. The middle button will co me off.

First time it's happened to me.

The mid button and scroll wheel are a bit jiggly. FiiO is still on vacation but... I would like to see some improvement in this when they get back.

Woooo, wow never seen it happened to me don't like that, can you put it back?

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #3,792 of 19,652
Jan 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,793 of 19,652
Yes I agree. From what I've read so far, X5 is the winner in terms of SQ straight from the HP out. However when you take other factors into account such as UI and features such as gapless playbackand the aesthetic, other Mid-tier DAPs have their own advantages as well.

It is going to be a great year for DAP users, with so many new options, and increased competition. However I must admit I am becoming a Fiio fanboy, as they offer great products at reasonable prices. Companies like Fiio should be supported, as they have average consumers in mind and not reaping them off by adopting greedy marketing strategies.

I need a company like Fiio to maintain both my hobby and my marriage.:wink:

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,794 of 19,652
not so quick, i saw similar comments when dx50 came out, later bought one myself and can only tell you that RWA Ak100 pure outshines dx50 amped with Tralucent T1 amp, of course margin is not that huge anymore but still considering ak100 portability and versatility and taking into accont the mod i think it is good DAP and expensive one too
frown.gif

And you see, we can all disagree on that point. :^)

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #3,795 of 19,652
Woooo, wow never seen it happened to me don't like that, can you put it back?

Easilly, its like a screw. But its flat and so you have to put a tiny bit of force on the wheel and some other techniques to keep the wheel from spinning out under you as you try to spin it back in place. At the very end stretch of putting it back, the wheel and scrool wheel are at around the same level so you lose the 'surface' to try to turn the wheel on. At that point, you need to grasp both the mid wheel and the scroll wheel with your thumbs on both surfaces. Then you slowly - but with a bit of pressure applied to both evenly - turn it so that the mid wheel gets back in. 

There are various engineering techniques to stop the mid wheel from spinning out I believe. FiiO also could have engineered it so that the X5 disassembles from the back up? If they did this, the mid wheel would have been secured so its only rear removable. But of course, this increases the amount of time to replace front objects by a LOT. 

I'm guessing they did what they did because it was a pain in the butt to repair the device's front easilly otherwise. 

And my heart just stopped for a micro-second! LOL!

It was weird but yeah. I guess I would too if I was in your position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back