The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #2,401 of 19,652
Fiio is a great company with great enthusiasm, and the X5 is a rushed product (at least aesthetically speaking).

I will stay away from the X5, for a better finished/polished product.

Everybody makes a mistake (My Boss always tells me one who works will certainly make a mistake, one way or another), and Fiio should learn from these mistakes.

Hope the X7 will be the "One". 

Please Fiio take your time with the X7, and we could help design a good DAP.

I know there are many artists, engineers etc here @ Head-fi...who could lend a hand.

PS: Just sold my ZX1 after some time with it, man this thing is a beauty with excellent sound.

I hope it is released outside Japan (US and Europe) so I can get it again.

low on power though (but 24 hours palyback!! with flac)

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,402 of 19,652
  Fiio is a great company with great enthusiasm, and the X5 is a ruched product (at least aesthetically speaking).

I will stay away from the X5, for a better finished/polished product.

Everybody makes a mistake (My Boss always tell me one who works will certainly make a mistake, one way or another), and Fiio should learn from these mistakes.

Hope the X7 will be the "One". 

Please Fiio take your time with the X7, and we could help design a good DAP.

I know there are many artists, engineers etc here @ Head-fi...who could lend a hand.

PS: Just sold my ZX1 after some time with it, man this thing is a beauty with excellent sound.

I hope it is released outside Japan (US and Europe) so I can get it again.

low on power though (but 24 hours palyback!! with flac)

^ tbh, the look/ design of the supposed X7s was how i had imagine this X5 would look. But i guess it makes sense for Fiio to save their best design for their most pricey/ elite model.

The X1 is more of my thing value/ size wise anyways but it would be nice to see how the X5 turned out since i am skipping the X3 for sure. :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,403 of 19,652
^ Dat wheel looks much better with less texture for sure......

... the wheel on the right looks much better esp, with those "X" buttons. A bit too busy with all that texture and buttons going on for the left one. haha

Though if the design was like this original concept, the more textured wheel looks pretty good.

.... but Fiio would have to deal with apple possibly. LoL

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1578990
blog

I absolutely agreed that the textured scroll wheel is ugly.. it also seems blacker than the rest of the x5! but that's the only ugly part as the original version on the right looks so much better.. plus if they made the x buttons the same color it would be flush and much nicer then the oddly placed silver !.. overall though I dig the x men scroll wheel design.

can they redesign the x5 again ? our make a silver one wheel a silver scroll wheel ? that would be nice.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #2,404 of 19,652
blog

I absolutely agreed that the textured scroll wheel is ugly.. it also seems blacker than the rest of the x5! but that's the only ugly part as the original version on the right looks so much better.. plus if they made the x buttons the same color it would be flush and much nicer then the oddly placed silver !.. overall though I dig the x men scroll wheel design.

can they redesign the x5 again ? our make a silver one wheel a silver scroll wheel ? that would be nice.

To be honest having used the old iPod classic model or for that matter the video 5 gen, I much prefer that latter design, you can use your thumb alone to scroll and control the dap playback. Above X5 design you will most likely develop cramps operating the dap with your thumb (referring to the buttons layout). The bottom design would be an improvement but will definitively attract Apple lawsuits, what a shame.

Really wondering what they'll do for the X7.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2,406 of 19,652
Dec 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,408 of 19,652
Dec 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #2,410 of 19,652
I hope its android.  Android works just fine; better android than useless functions like OTG, USB Audio, USB DAC and so on.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,412 of 19,652
With Fiio's current team, it seems that a decent in-house touch UI is a true possibility for the X7. The X7's target market has no concern of whether or not it can be used to access social media or stream from Pandora/Spotify--playback of stored music is all that really matters.

With the somewhat tumultuous release of the X3 behind it, I do not see Fiio repeating the implementation of buggy and/or "cloned" UI again...

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,413 of 19,652
  I'm not convinced of the wisdom of making the scroll wheel textured like that - sure, it makes it easy to 'grip', but if used frequently, the customer could end up with sore thumbs.

Quote:
  ^ Dat wheel looks much better with less texture for sure......

Black buttons and mild texturing on wheel

Black buttons, mild texturing on wheel, & black center button.

Quote:

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2,414 of 19,652
  +1. No need for Android, FiiO can make a """"Music Player"""" without fiddling with Android. We need simple and working things.

I'm no engineer, but I suspect the issue arises if one wants to have a touchscreen and does not want to spend an arm and a leg developing all the necessary code to interface with that... interface.

Obviously, there's much more to it than that but the point is that Fiio are only a small company (as are iBasso - think DX100)

They don't have millions of dollars to invest in developing firmware.

Other companies have (taken as a combined whole) already invested hundreds of millions of dollars getting the Android code and ecosystem to function correctly with associated hardware, mostly for the global cellphone market.

Whilst I love really lean & efficient DAP firmware as much as the next Head-fier (http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-dec-16th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/30#post_9387364), I can totally understand why some small DAP companies are increasingly looking to harness Android, as it allows them to use off-the-shelf components that have been well-developed & thoroughly-tested, at other companies' great expense, for cellphone-specific usage, and can (fortunately) be re-purposed for a DAP very viably.

It's a simple matter of pragmatism.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #2,415 of 19,652
Well another method is, keep on using the physical buttons, which is by far the best way of navigating for me. Accidental touches always drive me crazy. I even hate my phone (Galaxy S2) time to time but they don't make good phones with buttons anymore so yeah I gotta live with it but daps with buttons still alive
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back