The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,432 of 19,652
  The ZX1 is definitely a looker but the storage limitation (128GB) is absolutely a non-starter for me. The price is not far behind either. What is it with companies like Sony and Apple who absolutely refuse to add external storage capabilities to their products? I don't understand the logic, or more correctly the lack of logic of these decisions. Add external storage via SD card slot and drop the price of the ZX1 by about two hundred bucks and i am all over it. Sorry for the off topic post.

Greed greed and greed. Sony is the master of built in obsolescence. The aim of the game is for you to re purchase again and again with very short breaks in between. I agree if only Sony would add a single card slot this Dap would come to be the closest anybody has come to producing perfection in a music player, to me anyway.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,433 of 19,652

Greed greed and greed. Sony is the master of built in obsolescence. The aim of the game is for you to re purchase again and again with very short breaks in between. I agree if only Sony would add a single card slot this Dap would come to be the closest anybody has come to producing perfection in a music player, to me anyway.

it would be a proprietary slot though...only Sony memory would work...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,435 of 19,652
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to portable DAPs, but I am looking for a sub-$600 DAP that sounds really good with almost all impedance headphones (8-300 Ohms) and after intensive research I came out with either this and the C4. Is this what people recommend? I thought that it might be a good idea to purchase either the X5 or a C4 instead of a Mid-Fi amplifier/DAC to power my next head phone purchases since these sound like they are just as good as mid-fi DAC/amp combos. Is this correct? Is the amp in the X5 for example powerful and clean enough to be considered a mid-fi competitor to standalone DAC/Amps like the JDSLabs O2 etc? Am I doing the correct thing in waiting for the X5 to hit the US? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #2,437 of 19,652

They think they can cash in like how apple has. I don't see that happening though. Apple has that market licked :wink:.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,438 of 19,652
www.head-fi.org/t/696004/fiio-x5-preview-world-tour-application-20-26-december-2013
X5 Preview World Tour
Apply now! :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,439 of 19,652
  The ZX1 is definitely a looker but the storage limitation (128GB) is absolutely a non-starter for me. The price is not far behind either. What is it with companies like Sony and Apple who absolutely refuse to add external storage capabilities to their products? I don't understand the logic, or more correctly the lack of logic of these decisions. Add external storage via SD card slot and drop the price of the ZX1 by about two hundred bucks and i am all over it. Sorry for the off topic post.

Combine the X5 with an iPhone 5 USING A USB DAC CONNECTION and now you've got most of the functionality of the ZX1 without the cool design FOR A WHOLE LOT LESS.  That is one of the many reasons why a USB input into the existing DAC is a good idea.  You can't stream with an X5, but you can when hooked up to an iPhone using a lightning to USB adaptor.

I agree that the looks could be improved considerably based solely on the mock ups generously provided in this thread.  But we won't know what the UI is like until people start using it.  It's not a foregone conclusion that the UI is bad even if the aesthetics aren't optimized.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,440 of 19,652
  I'm sure this has already been posted but the I didn't notice it before so.... Maybe the OP could add it to the 1st page.

Hilarious!  Joseph you're a kick!  What this video doesn't show at all is how to use the wheel, center buttons and four surrounding buttons.  It would also be nice to show how songs can be grouped (organization within tab system), though I guess this doesn't matter since it's all in Chinese.  Anyhow - here is hoping that the UI is a good one!

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,443 of 19,652
It's quite something a manufacturer posts functionality users would love to see, I would hope they extend the same courtesy for the physical design to see how we would like to have the dap look and feel. Now that would be an innovative company in touch with their customers. :L3000:

Thanks Fiio for leading the way.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #2,445 of 19,652
Please, could you tell me if it is...

a)

or

b)

:deadhorse:

It's mechanical, this was answered right below your previous post, and was already mentioned a few pages back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back