The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #10,546 of 19,652
http://www.sandisk.com/goto/newmicrosd128/
Sandisk at least makes a 128gb micro SD
Has anyone else used a 128gb microsd with their Fiio x5?
Also thanks to the person who replied before about the x3/x5
He's probably going to get the x3 since he's going to use it more on the go anyway.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #10,547 of 19,652
http://www.sandisk.com/goto/newmicrosd128/
Sandisk at least makes a 128gb micro SD
Has anyone else used a 128gb microsd with their Fiio x5?
Also thanks to the person who replied before about the x3/x5
He's probably going to get the x3 since he's going to use it more on the go anyway.

I use 2 x 128gb micro SD cards in my x5. Both are Sandisk. The only caveat with using them is the 5800 database entry limit (which is slated to be fixed in future firmware). Browsing by directory works very well. No problems or glitches here.

Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #10,548 of 19,652
Using a 128GB card in slot 1 and a 64GB card in slot 2. Works without issues.

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #10,549 of 19,652
  I use 2 x 128gb micro SD cards in my x5. Both are Sandisk. The only caveat with using them is the 5800 database entry limit (which is slated to be fixed in future firmware). Browsing by directory works very well. No problems or glitches here.

Hope this helps.

thats awesome!!

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #10,550 of 19,652
Using a 128GB card in slot 1 and a 64GB card in slot 2. Works without issues as well.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #10,551 of 19,652
Using a 128GB card in slot 1 and a 64GB card in slot 2. Works without issues as well.

Haha! Is there an echo in here! :wink:

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #10,552 of 19,652
....... After 30 minutes charging, or at least with red light on .....Taken off charge as went green, fully charged ..........

Red led/ green charing led, in didn't know the X5 had one. I always looked at the battery icon. The led is covered by the silicone case thats why I did not know it was there
Yesterday I took a leather perforator and made a hole in the silicone case nea for it (near the micro-usb connector). Now I can see the led while charging :D.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #10,553 of 19,652
I am using 2 Sandisk 128 GB cards.
No problem yet.
Currently I have 5700+ numbers on them. Using Flac files this uses about two thirds of the space.
In theory I should be able to put more than 8000 numbers on them (I might choose to convert to APE to get even more on them).
I will see what happens when I reach the 5800 limit (what is supposed to happen?).

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #10,554 of 19,652
@Renetemp, you will be able to browse all your files through the 'folder browser' function, but only 5800 of your files will be available through the Album, Artist, Genre menu items. 
The X5 can only index 5800 files, and the index only serves the album, artist, genre selection.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #10,555 of 19,652
STILL experiencing issues with FLAC playback. I have ran these songs through audiotester and they all check out find on my hard drive, they all check out fine right after I've loaded them onto the SD card, but as soon as I load them into the X5 they get messed up somehow. I am specifically using the provided USB cable and provided SD card reader for transfer. I have ran the SD card through h2testw_1.4 as well and it was completely fine. I have tried formatting the SD card from within the X5 and then loaded the files directly onto it and they still get messed up. It's only a song here or there (maybe 2 out of 100 ratio) that gets corrupted but it's extremely annoying to just be waiting at the beginning of every song for it to skip or shut the whole device down.

Right now the songs are just randomly skipping every so often to the next track, and they aren't even showing as being corrupted in audiotester, so it makes it very difficult to track down the problem as opposed to when the songs were shutting down the device due to them being corrupted. I'm going to try formatting on the X5 one last time I suppose and see if that helps anything.

If anyone can give me advice on what to do from here I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm at wit's end with this thing and I'm about to RMA it even though I really don't want to.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #10,556 of 19,652
  STILL experiencing issues with FLAC playback. I have ran these songs through audiotester and they all check out find on my hard drive, they all check out fine right after I've loaded them onto the SD card, but as soon as I load them into the X5 they get messed up somehow. I am specifically using the provided USB cable and provided SD card reader for transfer. I have ran the SD card through h2testw_1.4 as well and it was completely fine. I have tried formatting the SD card from within the X5 and then loaded the files directly onto it and they still get messed up. It's only a song here or there (maybe 2 out of 100 ratio) that gets corrupted but it's extremely annoying to just be waiting at the beginning of every song for it to skip or shut the whole device down.

Right now the songs are just randomly skipping every so often to the next track, and they aren't even showing as being corrupted in audiotester, so it makes it very difficult to track down the problem as opposed to when the songs were shutting down the device due to them being corrupted. I'm going to try formatting on the X5 one last time I suppose and see if that helps anything.

If anyone can give me advice on what to do from here I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm at wit's end with this thing and I'm about to RMA it even though I really don't want to.

Could it be that you have set the playback mode to 'Shuffle' by accident (Hence, the skipping..)?

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #10,557 of 19,652

I loaded up my cards on my computer rather than transferring files via USB to the card in the X5. I did two cards this way, a 128 and a 64. I am experiencing no issues. I used a new USB 3.0 card reader so it went fast. It's an IOGear reader that set me back $14.99. It works swell.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #10,558 of 19,652

Does this happen with both cards? Can you get your hands on some other cards, whatever the capacity, just to test? Is it always the same files or totally random?

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #10,559 of 19,652

Does this happen with both cards? Can you get your hands on some other cards, whatever the capacity, just to test? Is it always the same files or totally random?

I loaded up my cards on my computer rather than transferring files via USB to the card in the X5. I did two cards this way, a 128 and a 64. I am experiencing no issues. I used a new USB 3.0 card reader so it went fast. It's an IOGear reader that set me back $14.99. It works swell.

The songs that go bad are somewhat random..I say that because I had a different set of songs that went bad a few days ago and now they seem completely fine. However I noticed songs skipping again this morning and knew there had to be something wrong, so I formatted the card with the X5, removed it, and then put it in the card reader. Keep in mind that I only formatted with the X5 because some have said that it helps with compatibility issues. I put my songs on the reader, and it said that 5 out of 168 files corrupted, and I specifically recognized one of them as one that had skipped this morning. They are completely intact on my computer, they only go bad when I: a) drag songs from my computer over to the card reader that contains a card formatted by the X5, b) drag files from my computer directly to the X5 using a USB cable, or c) use a card that has been formatted by My Computer, transfer over with a card reader, and then put the card into the X5, whereupon it immediately corrupts them. For option C, the files are completely intact when I run audiotester on the card with the files, it's only after they are placed in the X5 that they go bad. This has led me to believe that it has to be a problem with the X5 but I'm still just not sure. I don't have an extra SD card right now but I can run by Best Buy to get one if you think it would make any difference, but like I said, I ran a full test with an SD card tester already and it was completely intact.

EDIT: I'm erasing this for now because a couple of songs are showing as bad on my hard drive as well after I dragged them over from my My Passport 1 TB, I'll let you know if I find anything else out. Perhaps there was an issue with transferring them over from the My Passport to begin with but I sure thought I had tested every contingency.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #10,560 of 19,652
For what it's worth, both mSD cards get disconnected from my Mac from time to time, both randomly and without any input from me. One minute they are connected and transferring data, and the next they disappear from the Finder, with the usual warning about it.
Some songs and folders do get corrupted because of this, and I guess the FAT32 may as well get corrupted eventually if this keeps happening.

Maybe, the X5 goes to "sleep" after a few minutes of being inactive, even when it's plugged in and transferring data.

Besides, direct transfer to the X5 is slow as hell in comparison to using a USB 3.0 mSD card reader.

I do recommend not to use the X5's internal card reading/writing capability and instead using an external, good quality mSD card adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back