The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #841 of 19,652
It's cool. It happens to all of us at some time.

When we communicate with typing, we cannot see a persons face expression or hear the tone of their voice.

As I said, you are very welcome here 
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #842 of 19,652
Quote:
I know, and I have no more expectation about DSD playback either native or DoP from X5, the debate is I am trying to talking to the forum, why some guys seems trying to against anyone who just express a feelings, at the very begining, I just said a bit disappointed, not totally disappointed, which just express my feelings after X5 will not support DSD playback have been announced, and never said DSD playback is a must, but look at some replies, I can't be disappoint? Feelings disappoint is so ridiculous?

Anyway, I think I should quit this thread and back to Fiio's Chinese forum, there is more open-minded.

Yes and no. Yes go back to the forum, but no to the reason stated.

I would love to hear what the people are saying on the Chinese Fiio forum so if you could tell us, that would be terriffic.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #843 of 19,652
Quote:
Yes and no. Yes go back to the forum, but no to the reason stated.

I would love to hear what the people are saying on the Chinese Fiio forum so if you could tell us, that would be terriffic.

^ this. please do so. We who can't read Chinese (google translate doesn't help much) would love to hear their opinion on this DAP.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #844 of 19,652
Wow wow wow, what happened here.

Ok goldkenn, I am sorry for my reaction, it was not to attack you or something. All was saying is, FiiO already produces pretty much best price/performance ratio units and asking more from what they give is not very realistic at this price point. Even X3, at 200 bucks price range, gives more than some claimed to be an audiophile level players.

About DSD, well, every feature you could put in a dap would be nice but and again we have to see what is most/more important and the side effects of those features.

Anyway, I am sorry if I sounded rude, please accept my apologies, I honestly didn't mean it. I was just trying to explain some things, apparently the language I chose wasn't the nicest one.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #847 of 19,652
Quote:
I'd love to have an optical out too, but think that won't be a "Small request". Adding an optical out is not like just adding a hole to plug in an optical cable
bigsmile_face.gif

its my tactic to get him to consider it... he may just say to his engineering team...  "a small enhancement for X5 coming in, put another hole for clean optical out"

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #851 of 19,652
Quote:
Just a question.. ot maybe??
confused.gif
which is the difference between the two types of out??

Format really

Digital Coaxial and Optical Toslink are both formats of the S/PDIF spec. Both allow for digital signal transfer.

For our purposes, these two formats are used BEFORE the DAC or amp touches the signal. Mostly its used as a way to input or output a signal into a DAC. 

Coaxial and opt toslink have their own pro's and cons. Coaxial is more susceptible to interference even with its shielding and can have jitter problems. BUT, is very hard to bend, and is more 'usable' and you don't have to worry about it. Optical, you need to worry about never touching the tip, or bending the cable.

So with that said, optical or coaxial? 

The thing with coaxial, is that since its a format using just plain old 'wires' inside the cable, its VERY simple to implement it. You don't need any special chips really.

but with opt toslink, since its a fiber optic cable inside with 'light', you need a special decoding chip to first decode the light signal into a 'regular' one before it can be fed into the DAC.

Opt toslink introduces the need for another chip(cost, space, power) inside the unit, not to mention, that its also a less physically usable S/PDIF format.

On the go, if you want to use a opt toslink/coaxial cable to another DAC and do your thing, you can. I will just shake my head at you and try to never call myself an audiophile. But its real usability of a coaxial or toslink output is in so that you can use the X3/X5 with another DAC whilst you are more static and stationary. Maybe use your X3 as a transport so you can test out equipment and what not.

Either way, Coaxial is a much cheaper and easier format to use as it doesn't require the additional chip, and for a portable unit like this, saving space is everything. Not to mention, that Coaxial cables, although more suceptible to interference, it is more sturdy and is good for portable units.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #853 of 19,652
Format really

Digital Coaxial and Optical Toslink are both formats of the S/PDIF spec. Both allow for digital signal transfer.

For our purposes, these two formats are used BEFORE the DAC or amp touches the signal. Mostly its used as a way to input or output a signal into a DAC. 

Coaxial and opt toslink have their own pro's and cons. Coaxial is more susceptible to interference even with its shielding and can have jitter problems. BUT, is very hard to bend, and is more 'usable' and you don't have to worry about it. Optical, you need to worry about never touching the tip, or bending the cable.

So with that said, optical or coaxial? 

The thing with coaxial, is that since its a format using just plain old 'wires' inside the cable, its VERY simple to implement it. You don't need any special chips really.

but with opt toslink, since its a fiber optic cable inside with 'light', you need a special decoding chip to first decode the light signal into a 'regular' one before it can be fed into the DAC.

Opt toslink introduces the need for another chip(cost, space, power) inside the unit, not to mention, that its also a less physically usable S/PDIF format.

On the go, if you want to use a opt toslink/coaxial cable to another DAC and do your thing, you can. I will just shake my head at you and try to never call myself an audiophile. But its real usability of a coaxial or toslink output is in so that you can use the X3/X5 with another DAC whilst you are more static and stationary. Maybe use your X3 as a transport so you can test out equipment and what not.

Either way, Coaxial is a much cheaper and easier format to use as it doesn't require the additional chip, and for a portable unit like this, saving space is everything. Not to mention, that Coaxial cables, although more suceptible to interference, it is more sturdy and is good for portable units.

Thanks for this detailed sharing. Do you think usb audio out would be a better digital interconnect method? Would it be feasible to implement it on DAP?

From a consumer's point of view, there are quite a number portable dac/amp with optical option, but coaxial input is harder to find. having this upgrade option in place is preferred for future upgrade

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #854 of 19,652
Quote:
Thanks for this detailed sharing. Do you think usb audio out would be a better digital interconnect method? Would it be feasible to implement it on DAP?

From a consumer's point of view, there are quite a number portable dac/amp with optical option, but coaxial input is harder to find. having this upgrade option in place is preferred for future upgrade

I do not know enough about USB audio and chips it needs. It seems that USB audio may use more chips and be a bigger headache to implement.

The mass majority of non headphone audio 'sound' units feature coaxial input. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #855 of 19,652
I'm not sure this has been brought up, but I think it would be nice if Fiio concentrated some effort into reducing the jitter on the X5. The jitter numbers on the X3 are startling to say the least. I don't expect AK120 type of performance but something closer to the AK100 would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back