The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #7,231 of 19,652
PS: Audacity has a normalisation feature too

Wouldn't be too useful since you'll want every track on a particular album adjusting by the same amount, and simply normalising them won't do that, it'll make some louder than others if they have different kinds of peaks/dynamics...

I only did this for a few especially quiet/loud albums. Not for everything

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #7,233 of 19,652

Hmmm true; I thought normalising works like ReplayGain though (i.e. make all tracks at 89dB)

No, a standard normalise just increases the gain of the whole signal until the loudest peak hits 0dB (i.e. there is no headroom left). So the amount of gain required to do this will vary from track to track on a dynamic record, and assuming the album was mastered for each track to have the correct volume relative to the others, you will be changing that balance (and introducing volume jumps in any gapless transitions)

You could normalise the whole album and then split it up maybe. But that would also take a while.

tl;dr - Replaygain is really, really useful

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #7,235 of 19,652

Within foobar, you can also reprocess the files after scanning and applying the ReplayGain metadata to the files. (i.e. Scan for ReplayGain values => Convert => Advanced => Processing => ReplayGain Options)

Alternatively you can use MP3Gain (both Windows and Mac have it); only caveat is that you have to use MP3s and that it will also permanently alter the audio data.

Hi 
I've had try but after the scan the only option I get is updated tags?

Arcright 

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #7,238 of 19,652

Yep, update the tags first (which will save the metadata to the files). If you have set your playback option to use ReplayGain metadata, you will hear the change almost immediately. You then do the processing/making the new files.

Sorry this is going to seem a bit painfully, it's all new to me :-.  

If you have set your playback option to use ReplayGain metadata on X5?

You then do the processing/making the new files , can't see how to start that process 

Arcright

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #7,240 of 19,652
  Sorry this is going to seem a bit painfully, it's all new to me :-.  

If you have set your playback option to use ReplayGain metadata on X5?
You then do the processing/making the new files , can't see how to start that process 

Arcright

You can't use that RG metadata on the X5; you will have to recreate the files using foobar that take these metadata into account such that all devices without RG support like the X5 will play the files and still have the volume as though RG is used.

tl;dr: Start the process from the foobar; select the files you want (assuming that RG metadata is already applied on them), right click, go to convert and then advanced option, select the RG options, and then convert the files to any format you see fit.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #7,243 of 19,652
Thanks for the help,it keeps asking me to locate FLAC.exe? But I've run out of time now so got to get ready to go to work.

Arcright 

Doesn't the CCCP have that packed? (Combined Community Codec Pack)

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #7,244 of 19,652
Has nobody else encountered the issue where in Library mode, when you've got a multi-disc album, it plays Disc 1 Song 1, then Disc 2 Song 1, then Disc 1 Song 2, then Disc 2 Song 2, &c.? I feel as though that's a fairly important thing to fix, but nobody else has voted for it in Bugzilla. Are the rest of you having this play correctly?

My disc number tags are in number / total discs format, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I also don't tag the album names with disc numbers, because I prefer to have them all in one folder.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #7,245 of 19,652
  Has nobody else encountered the issue where in Library mode, when you've got a multi-disc album, it plays Disc 1 Song 1, then Disc 2 Song 1, then Disc 1 Song 2, then Disc 2 Song 2, &c.? I feel as though that's a fairly important thing to fix, but nobody else has voted for it in Bugzilla. Are the rest of you having this play correctly?

My disc number tags are in number / total discs format, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I also don't tag the album names with disc numbers, because I prefer to have them all in one folder.

It has been mentioned before..
I have temporarily "patched" this by putting all discs in one folder and naming them 01 - 01 - Song name, 01 - 02 - Song Name, then 02 - 01 - Song Name, etc...
Not the best solution, but at least it's in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back