The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 19,652
Quote:
Whats with Wifi and Android? Whilst its a bonus for some but for me, a DAP should act only as a DAP. i invested for AK solely for being a DAP, not for anything else...

I can see the point of wifi. I like to listen to my mp3/flac tunes, but I often like switching to online streaming (either to hear new music that I might want to buy/download, or to listen at 320kbps if the site provides it such as trance.fm). If I can do that with one device (which hopefully has a good battery life) rather than having to switch to my phone or tablet, then that would be great.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #19 of 19,652
Another thing that intrigues me is that X5 is expected to provide 50% more power than that of X3 (per the Chinese review that Fiio linked to:  http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1450426).

X3 is spec'ed to output >400 mw at 16 ohm and >260 mw at 32 ohm (THD+N: -104 db; SNR: 120 db). Interestingly, ClieOS said at the X3 thread (page 37 post 543) that X3's headphone output is not that much less than JDS C5 or O2 plugged into line out of X3. That sounds very promising. 

If X5 outputs 50% more than X3 while keeping everything else on par (noise, output impedance, ect.), You may not need a portable headphone amp with X5. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #20 of 19,652
Another thing I am curious about is battery life. I really couldn't care less for wifi or other things, I don't need and if it is there, won't use.

But still a nice battery life is always good of course. Hope it is better than X3.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 19,652
Quote:

I can see the point of wifi. I like to listen to my mp3/flac tunes, but I often like switching to online streaming (either to hear new music that I might want to buy/download, or to listen at 320kbps if the site provides it such as trance.fm). If I can do that with one device (which hopefully has a good battery life) rather than having to switch to my phone or tablet, then that would be great.

^ Exactly. You may be able to stream 320kbps MOG or Spotify with wifi and Android. That way you have access to millions of albums provided by internet radio.
      Another advantage is that you may use a DLNA/UPnP Android app to stream music from a DLNA server (for example, 8player Android app may be able to stream 24/96 bit perfect flac from a NAS, HTPC or XBMC). You can turn off wifi if you don't need it to save battery or reduce noise. 
      I am NOT saying that X5 should have wifi and Android (in fact, there is NO indication that X5 will have either). Without careful design, sound quality may take a hit from those added features. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #22 of 19,652
You can take advantage of X5's dual microSD slots and have 128-256GB of storage very soon.
Full-size 128GB SDXC cards are around USD$100 now and can be used in microSD slots with the help of an adapter:   
For details and photos please see post 8204 on page 547 of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-24-bit-for-bit-pg-1-reviews-impressions-downloads-video-new-firmware-1-4-2/8190
http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-TFC1m.html

Personally I would prefer to have a 2.5'' SATA or 1.8'' ZIF interface to use SSD storage, but that may not happen in the near future (different hardware and firmware may be required, so I guess it is not possible for X5 at this point).

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 19,652
Quote:
     ^ Exactly. You may be able to stream 320kbps MOG or Spotify with wifi and Android. That way you have access to millions of albums provided by internet radio.
      Another advantage is that you may use a DLNA/UPnP Android app to stream music from a DLNA server (for example, 8player Android app may be able to stream 24/96 bit perfect flac from a NAS, HTPC or XBMC). You can turn off wifi if you don't need it to save battery or reduce noise. 
      I am NOT saying that X5 should have wifi and Android (in fact, there is NO indication that X5 will have either). Without careful design, sound quality may take a hit from those added features. 

Right now I have a rockboxed Clip Zip which plays FLAC files off of a 64GB microSD. And it sounds pretty darned good to me. I also hook up the C&C BH to it, and that sounds great also. So, although I am feeling the itch to get a "better" player such as the X3 or X5, I would have to know what the justifications were. If it were only better SQ, then the jump in SQ had better be pretty good. But if the player also had wifi/android, then that would pretty much do it for me. In fact, that will probably be a dealbreaker for me. I haven't yet looked into what players are available with wifi/android (or how much they cost!), but I have a sneaky suspicion that you do, so you might be getting a PM from me! Thanks.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 19,652
Quote:
....  Patience isn't my strong point.

Mike.

Mike, please wait your turn before chiming in.

Thankyou.

(just kidding! LOL) 
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #30 of 19,652
Quote:
Who cares about the X5, let's see that nude run! Get the cameras!

well if the CEO of Fiio is a hot bodied female then yes - however I suspect that is not the case  :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back