The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,851 of 19,652
I had an opportunity to compare my X3 with an AK100 a few days ago: I listened to the exact same FLAC files on both devices (put my 32gb card into the AK100, and copies of the tracks were present on the X3s onboard memory), and listened on both my old favorite IEMs, the SE530s, and demoed the shop's best $2000 cans as well. Truthfully, I could not hear a significant difference between the two devices (well, any difference, to be honest).

So, my conclusion: the real difference was that for another five hundred dollars, what A&K offered me was a better UI and little more. (I'm sure some of you will disagree, and that's ok too; those with a keener sense of hearing may discern the SQ differences between the two - but I couldn't. You could say that the AK100 is a more "polished" device, design-wise, and if that is important to you, then it's a valid point) Is the improvement of UI worth five hundred dollars to me? No. I was happy to have had the experience of comparing the two, and found the touch screen interface far more user-friendly, but I came away from it without buying an A&K device. I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that the X3 has the bonus feature of a line out, something the A&K devices do not. That point also influenced my decision to not buy an AK100.

Will I graduate to an X5 this spring? That depends how comfortable I get with the X3 in the next few months. I've found the device kludgy and a trial to actually use; the UI is a compromise, mainly because FiiO chose to forgo the touch screen interface, relying instead on an older style of button navigation that many manufacturers eschew in this age. I realize the button interface was chosen to keep the cost down, but it isn't doing the device any favors, IMO. (If FiiO could give us a player that included a touch screen navigation interface, and do so for under $500 they would have my undivided attention, for certain.) I'm likely to wait till I read reviews of the X5 before I decide what I will do about choosing an upgrade. For now, I will work at training my brain to use the X3s awkward navigation as best I can, and see how I fare over an extended period.

Thing is that the AK100 can go as high as 162GB of space while the X3 can only do 64gb max. And when SD cards higher than 64 come out it will do much more than that. Space is a feature that carries a premium.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,852 of 19,652

Thing is that the AK100 can go as high as 162GB of space while the X3 can only do 64gb max. And when SD cards higher than 64 come out it will do much more than that. Space is a feature that carries a premium.

I recognize that, yes. But for me, its not an issue, since I have no intention of ripping all my CDs to FLAC or repurchasing favorite works as HD files - I am only going to choose the top 10% of my music catalog to listen to as HD stuff (currently, my HD music files remain under 40gb); the majority of my music will remain on an iPod Classic, where 256 kbps MP3s and Apple Lossless will be "good enough" for daily use. There are plenty of recordings out there that never had (and never will have) the kind of production values many current recordings embody, so I feel no need to reinvest in them as "HD" versions, since they offer me precious little increased value for the investment. YMMV, of course. :)

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,853 of 19,652
Are you guys referring to the X5? Doesn't it have dual micro sd slots like the AK line? In that case with 128 GB plus 16 internal that is still quite a lot of storage potential IMO.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,854 of 19,652
  Are you guys referring to the X5? Doesn't it have dual micro sd slots like the AK line? In that case with 128 GB plus 16 internal that is still quite a lot of storage potential IMO.

X5 doesn't have internal memory Lee. Only 2 micro sd card slots. Which is still good
happy_face1.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,857 of 19,652
X5 doesn't have internal memory Lee. Only 2 micro sd card slots. Which is still good :happy_face1:

And if you happen to have two SD to microSD converters, you can have up to 256GB of storage.

Which is really very good.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2,859 of 19,652
Yup, however I found them a bit fragile. Don't you think on to go, like putting the dap into the pocket, taking it out etc. will not damage the converter?

Well, you ought to put a case around the X5 + converters, and add a layer to the TF card plug thing, and then it should be all right?

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,865 of 19,652
  ^ LoL since we are on this topic..... cheap shipped. : P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190905591789

Even an anti-shock/ waterproof one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-shock-Waterproof-Memory-Card-Case-Holder-Storage-for-2CF-4XD-4-Micro-SD-/370953210541?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item565e88caad

Hmmm...if the top one you listed includes the inner holder (which is the same piece as in my post) that's a great deal !

The second one only holds 4 MicroSD's, so that's kind of a waste of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back