The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,191 of 19,652
Bcos a lot of portable dac/amp are designed to work with usb from pc/mac/idevice/android......and most of them do not have coax input...

My priority for X5 is that it must first sound good by itself for iem/ciem/easy to drive phones... and second priority is a clean line out that pairs with other amps

coax out, usb otg storage, usb audio are all nice to have

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,193 of 19,652
  Bcos a lot of portable dac/amp are designed to work with usb from pc/mac/idevice/android......and most of them do not have coax input...

My priority for X5 is that it must first sound good by itself for iem/ciem/easy to drive phones... and second priority is a clean line out that pairs with other amps

coax out, usb otg storage, usb audio are all nice to have

Thanks.  That all makes sense.

I too, am more interested in the SQ than extra features.  I am hoping the X5 may also be a great source with my main Hi-Fi setup.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,194 of 19,652
Coax out would be useful is M8 or Theorem had coax input feature, unfortunately, they don't. Yes, one can always use converters to change coax to optical but this is becoming way to bulky for a setup which is already pretty bulky, so I am not planning to use it.

However, Munky is right, coax out is good and you can always use it with dac/amps with coax input option.

As I mentioned, I am stating my plans and ideas honestly. M8 is great game changer and I would like to pair it with my dap. However, if X5's success and SQ levels are just beyond this world, lack of possibility to connect M8 is not a deal breaker for me. I can still think about some great amps to pair with it through line out and keep the wonderful PCM dac of X5 in use. Some amps that comes to my mind to pair with X5: SR71B, Epsilon S.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,195 of 19,652

Sadly I have to tell you that any DSD file played on the X5 will have to be transcoded to PCM first, in order to make it possible to send the digital data to the DAC. It does not matter if the DAC is capable of DSD, the problem is the ARM CPU, that only has the I2S port. I2S is PCM.

At least that is how I understand this. I would be happy, if someone could prove me wrong.

Quote:
  I'm sure that may be a disappointment for some but I'm a PCM kind of guy so I'm good either way.
smile.gif

Not wishing to open up the DSD issue for discussion here again, but just a pointer, for those who desire DSD playback, to some rather interesting remarks (in a review of the Meridian Prime USB DAC):

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/meridian-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-review/

also see:

http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm

Again, I am not posting this in order to discuss it here in the X5 thread. I am merely offering it as a pointer to an interesting read for those who may have an interest in DSD.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,197 of 19,652

Sadly I have to tell you that any DSD file played on the X5 will have to be transcoded to PCM first, in order to make it possible to send the digital data to the DAC. It does not matter if the DAC is capable of DSD, the problem is the ARM CPU, that only has the I2S port. I2S is PCM.

At least that is how I understand this. I would be happy, if someone could prove me wrong.

Actually the JZ4760B in X3/X5 is not ARM but MIPS, which is a different adaptation of the RISC structure. Anyway, that's not the point - there is a way to implement proper direct DSD decoding on X5. That's not to use the dedicated I2S pin on the SoC but instead go with one of the GPIO pin for audio data. I would imagine that will need some major coding on the firmware as well as the right hardware circuit.

Personally, I don't really care much about DSD vs. PCM.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2,198 of 19,652
Exciting to see the X5 is now released, at least in China.  I know Fiio has taken the market niche when it comes to affordable audio.  However, I'd like them to try making a truly flagship DAP.  I would like to have an alternative to the offerings of AK, Calyx (supposedly coming out w/ something), etc.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,199 of 19,652
Please Fiio : auto-change directory on your X5 !

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,200 of 19,652
  I am no expert in these things, so apologies if this is not the brightest question, but...  wouldn't the digital (co-axial) out be sufficient to pair the DAP with most of the worthy DACs and DAC/Amps out there.   Is there something lacking in the co-axial type outputs in DAPs?

Just curious to learn :)

Absolutely possible and you are right.....There are some stereo amps/AV receiver with no or limited co-ax/SP-DIF inputs, in that case a front panel USB would suffice.that's about it.
Also it is clear that FiiO didn't offer this OTG feature in the design phase itself, but OTG to read external storages, the poll section is evident.(on top of every page that we see)...but still an added feature to some like me who could make use of this, if there's a way of offering thru a FW update sort. Also since it's a true portable DAP, PCM DAC's potential can be used to benchmark/compare desktop setup/stereo setup of different brands anywhere,anyplace, like our friend's, where optical out of X5 can't be utilised. btw, I'm not a streophile either.....
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,201 of 19,652

Absolutely possible and you are right.....There are some stereo amps/AV receiver with no or limited co-ax/SP-DIF inputs, in that case a front panel USB would suffice.that's about it.
Also it is clear that FiiO didn't offer this OTG feature in the design phase itself, but OTG to read external storages, the poll section is evident.(on top of every page that we see)...but still an added feature to some like me who could make use of this, if there's a way of offering thru a FW update sort. Also since it's a true portable DAP, PCM DAC's potential can be used to benchmark/compare desktop setup/stereo setup of different brands anywhere,anyplace, like our friend's, where optical out of X5 can't be utilised. btw, I'm not a streophile either.....
wink.gif

Thanks :)   It all makes perfect sense in your reply.   I have, just now, done some more research into the i/o connections on various DAPs, DACs and DAC/AMPs portable and otherwise.   It seems to me that there is certainly benefit in having as many connectivity options as possible, if the X5 is to be univerally versatile.

Many thanks.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,202 of 19,652
Thanks :)   It all makes perfect sense in your reply.   I have, just now, done some more research into the i/o connections on various DAPs, DACs and DAC/AMPs portable and otherwise.   It seems to me that there is certainly benefit in having as many connectivity options as possible, if the X5 is to be univerally versatile.

Many thanks.

There is a lot to be said about keeping things simple, too many gadgets and you don't do them all right. I would rather have a great line out, a digital out then kit and kaboodle of the Swiss army knife of the ultimum dap. SQ first, clean HO and LO next then digital out big bonus beyond that too much electronics making it a energy waister :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,203 of 19,652
There is a lot to be said about keeping things simple, too many gadgets and you don't do them all right. I would rather have a great line out, a digital out then kit and kaboodle of the Swiss army knife of the ultimum dap. SQ first, clean HO and LO next then digital out big bonus beyond that too much electronics making it a energy waister
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I agree that SQ is first; it is the reason I am interested in the X5.  After that, didgi out for use as a Hi-Fi source.  It is true that more electronics may reduce battery life etc.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,204 of 19,652

Actually the JZ4760B in X3/X5 is not ARM but MIPS, which is a different adaptation of the RISC structure. Anyway, that's not the point - there is a way to implement proper direct DSD decoding on X5. That's not to use the dedicated I2S pin on the SoC but instead go with one of the GPIO pin for audio data. I would imagine that will need some major coding on the firmware as well as the right hardware circuit.

Personally, I don't really care much about DSD vs. PCM.

Wow, you are one smart guy.

I do understand what you mean. One could send a 2.8224 MHz signal over the GPIO. In theory I could do that on my STM32 board at home. Has somebody done this before?

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,205 of 19,652
  I would just like to have a confirmation that this will support m3u playlists.
confused.gif
 If it does I'm 100% sold. That's the only requirement I have left,...everything about it is stellar!!! 
L3000.gif

If the question was asked & answered before please excuse my missing it. 

Thanks all,...and especially thanks to JamesFiiO!!! 
beerchug.gif

I was wondering this as well, given I won't have the simplicity of browsing music that I have with my smartphone being able to at least support playlist and possibly playlist creation would be kind of a necessary feature.

"Will come in future firmware" is a good answer too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back