The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #19,306 of 19,652
You'd be devastated to learn how often folk misunderstand that. Best to clarify the matter regular-like.
biggrin.gif

Are you asking about the orginal X5? Or the 2nd Gen? Because the X5 Classic is a warmer DAP. Quite lovely, really.

Yes. The original X5 has a musical, warm sound, while X5ii is clearer, larger soundstage more electric and precise sound. One could say that X5 was more natural, while X5ii is better at details retrieval, there are differences in what they do, one should pick based on personal taste. 

Most people loved X5, while I'm still in love with X5ii. Both are amazing XD 
etysmile.gif

what about brightness? is  as bright as the X1? or more warm? 
beerchug.gif

I think that X1 is pretty warm and the original Fiio X5 is similarly warm, it's not bright to these ears... Then again, for these ears nothing is too bright, I add +8gb on treble to most headphones, even more, but most people seem to agree that X5 was warmish tonally 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #19,307 of 19,652

Yes. The original X5 has a musical, warm sound, while X5ii is clearer, larger soundstage more electric and precise sound. One could say that X5 was more natural, while X5ii is better at details retrieval, there are differences in what they do, one should pick based on personal taste. 

Most people loved X5, while I'm still in love with X5ii. Both are amazing XD 
etysmile.gif

I think that X1 is pretty warm and the original Fiio X5 is similarly warm, it's not bright to these ears... Then again, for these ears nothing is too bright, I add +8gb on treble to most headphones, even more, but most people seem to agree that X5 was warmish tonally 
biggrin.gif

but to use the eq you have to use the headphone out, so id be double amping it with my e12 curious how that wiill sound
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #19,308 of 19,652
but to use the eq you have to use the headphone out, so id be double amping it with my e12 curious how that wiill sound :tongue_smile:

What? Not true. The EQ works just fine from the line-out and coaxial out. The only restriction to using EQ is on files above 48kHz sampling rate as it's too processor intensive for the X5ii.

I just tried it to confirm. You should too.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #19,310 of 19,652
does eq work on the x1 using line out as well?

I have no idea as I haven't ever used the X1.

I just realized this is the X5 thread, not X5ii. Well, I just tested the X5 too and it works. Same limitation above 48kHz sampling rate applies.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #19,316 of 19,652
I'm just checking in again to re-state how much I enjoy this DAP. I don't even care about the so-called clunky interface anymore. It gets the job done, and that's all I care about.

The SQ is just so sweet! I can plug in some very inexpensive headphones: banded sportapro's, banded koss 75's and the X5 just rocks!

You'll just hear new details you won't with the headphones just connected to a computer. 

X5 works great as a player and also as a DAC. I'm just all kinds of impressed with this player. 

I'm also amazed by the battery life of this player. I think it's because I use it as a DAC relatively often it just kind of on constant recharge for an hour or so and I never have to do a full recharge. 

---------

I do have a question, however. I would love to hear from people who have paired the X5 with sennheiser 600's. I tend to enjoy my treble, hence my fondness for ksc75's. The senn600's are supposed to be a reference quality, neutral headphone. Would love to hear about your experiences pairing the two!

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #19,317 of 19,652
I find the HD600 to sound adequate on the X5. It's a 300ohm headphone and needs a proper amp to sound its best, but it's not at all bad on this DAP.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #19,319 of 19,652
An amp would certainly help. Or, if you just want to stay with easy to drive headphones, look into the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7.

Aug 21, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #19,320 of 19,652
  Ah ok then. A bit disappointing since I keep reading reviews that the 600 is the most neutral headphone with reference quality. Maybe another amp then?

I would advise the Cayin C5 amp (X5 line out) for full headphones.
Great synergy (with my PS500 & HD700) imo
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back