The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #19,172 of 19,652
So I was just informed by FiiO that the reason the 2.7 firmware update isn't available publicly is because it disables OTG...

Here's their statement:

To be honest, the USB OTG function 
has been disabled to improve device detection in storage and DAC modes by the computer when running this firmware FW2.7.
Actually, we also want to keep the OTG function, but we have already tried many other different ways in order to fix the problem of X5's not being recognized by the computer, but all failed. So we have to cancel the OTG function finally. 
We know some users prefer to the OTG function, so we don't release the firmware FW2.7 to the public, and just provide it for users whose X5 has this problem . Hope you can understand.

Because I'm sure they couldn't make a warning about this and because I'm sure people wouldn't want their X5's fixed. Seems like a really odd thing. Plus, how many people are using OTG anyways? MicroSD cards are incredibly cheap and it can hold TWO! Just saying...it seems like fixing peoples USB issues should take priority over the handful of people that need OTG.

Anyways, my post will remain with links to the firmware so everyone can use it.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #19,173 of 19,652
Plus, how many people are using OTG anyways? MicroSD cards are incredibly cheap and it can hold TWO! Just saying...it seems like fixing peoples USB issues should take priority over the handful of people that need OTG.

See, I was hoping to hook up my X5 to a 2TB HD and just use the thing as an interface. I'd run it coax out to my Bifrost. The thing would just act as a remote.

I wonder - is there any DAP out there that could do something like that?

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #19,174 of 19,652
  See, I was hoping to hook up my X5 to a 2TB HD and just use the thing as an interface. I'd run it coax out to my Bifrost. The thing would just act as a remote.

I wonder - is there any DAP out there that could do something like that?

Yeah, the X5 can do it as long as you aren't experiencing any USB connectivity issues with the previous firmwares. As long as you aren't on 2.7 you shouldn't have any issues doing this. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #19,175 of 19,652
X5 FW 2.7, very interesting :) Do you have any idea what has been changed because the ZIP file doesn't contain any release notes

I asume this is for for the X5 Generation 1 or X5 gen II.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #19,176 of 19,652

Yeah, the X5 can do it as long as you aren't experiencing any USB connectivity issues with the previous firmwares. As long as you aren't on 2.7 you shouldn't have any issues doing this. 

I read that the X5 has issues reading hard drives once they exceed 128 GB or something.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #19,177 of 19,652
  X5 FW 2.7, very interesting :) Do you have any idea what has been changed because the ZIP file doesn't contain any release notes

I asume this is for for the X5 Generation 1 or X5 gen II.

It's for the 1st generation X5. 

The changes, that I know of are that it disables OTG to fix the USB issues some users are having. Like for me a few days ago my X5 stopped being recognized by all my computers. Neither the "Storage" mode or "DAC" mode worked anymore. It appears to be some USB issue with the way OTG works (even though I never used it) so they had to disable it to reenable the modes that stopped working.

I've asked just now for further details into what else changed. My scroll wheel for example seems to work better. I'll update when I get more info.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #19,178 of 19,652
Hmmm...this issue with the USB connection is VERY odd. I experienced it first with the 2.6FW...nothing I could do would fix it. Not reinstalling 2.6 or installing 2.5 or 2.4 (didn't try older). So for some reason some setting must transfer across firmwares, right? When I install 2.7 though it works. So clearly it isn't a hardware issue. 

But now if I go BACK to 2.6 after 2.7 fixes it...2.6 still doesn't work. So it appears that, for whatever reason, when this problem occurs the ONLY fix and ONLY way to make Storage and DAC modes work again is to go to 2.7. PERIOD. Not that this matters to me for, as I said I don't use OTG, but I just find it odd that the problem persists like it does.

I could understand something happening and reinstalling the firmware to fix it but to need a special firmware to fix it and ONLY that firmware fixes it seems very strange and sort of goes against everything I know about computers/software. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #19,179 of 19,652
  My scroll wheel for example seems to work better.

I wanted to detail this in case others have the same experience. 

When I first got my X5 (Japanese Edition bought used here a few weeks ago) the scroll wheel was pretty bad. Yes, it was 2.6FW but it was very finicky. 

If I was scrolling down, let's say, it would scroll down a few selections then would just start scrolling up a couple...so down a few, up a couple. It would always do this, no matter how slow or fast I scrolled. When I started having USB issues I noticed this got better after reinstalling 2.6 but the problem was still there, just not as bad.

However, with the 2.7 update this problem is gone what seems to be completely. I at least haven't experienced yet. So when I start scrolling down now it's a constant scroll down. Never stutters or back paces or does what it otherwise shouldn't. 

Now I don't know if 2.7 specifically fixes this. Like I said, just reinstalling 2.6 made it better despite it being the same FW version when the problem was worse but 2.7 is flawless. 

So if some of you are having a similar issue it might be worth checking out 2.7 alone for this fix. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #19,180 of 19,652
Hi everyone. Considering that my last post (concerning the problem when X5 wont charge if used in DAC mode), was wholeheartedly ignored, forgotten, and buried into oblivion to make room for the debate of how global warming caused by the odd USB problem is affecting earth, melting the poles and negatively affecting mankind itself.. I will repeat what I said before and who knows, maybe a kind soul takes some precious time and will kindly help me to solve the problem which probably is not a big one. 
regular_smile .gif

The problem: After downloading latest DAC driver I finally installed it on the Surface Pro (Win 8) and started using X5 as DAC and when after like 4 hours of use I disconnected it to use it as DAP to my surprise it was completely discharged. Now, before that I had no problem using it on my desktop pc as DAC (always charging when in use) and laptop. Problem started with the new DAC driver. It charges without problem if used as storage or connected to USB charger but when in DAC mode - even if battery is full it will consume all the charge (but still will work as DAC if connected). Does any one know how to fix that? Who knows probably is some kind of minor problem and I´m missing something.   

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #19,181 of 19,652

Try using the latest 2.7 firmware found in my post here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/the-fiio-x5-thread/19155#post_12540780

It does DISABLE OTG so if you use this then this might not be your solution. It fixed my USB issues though.

Otherwise I would ask if you've tried a different USB cable? Did you have this problem before with the same laptop and USB cable? Maybe the USB port doesn't supply enough power?

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #19,182 of 19,652

It does DISABLE OTG so if you use this then this might not be your solution. It fixed my USB issues though.

Otherwise I would ask if you've tried a different USB cable? Did you have this problem before with the same laptop and USB cable? Maybe the USB port doesn't supply enough power?

Thanks for the response! 
1st - tried 5 different USB cables - same thing. 
Then I found something interesting. Connecting it to PC or laptop with any of USB cables - no problem at all. The only difference is that on pc and laptop I have older DAC driver. I have the X5 fully charged now and when I connect it to Surface Pro with new driver - the charge light on X5 turns red (just in case, if in storage mode - it charges well), connected to pc or laptop its green. Will install new firmware to see what happens, if OTG is disabled its no problem for me I do not like the SQ of X5 that much anyways.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #19,183 of 19,652
  Thanks for the response! 
1st - tried 5 different USB cables - same thing. 
Then I found something interesting. Connecting it to PC or laptop with any of USB cables - no problem at all. The only difference is that on pc and laptop I have older DAC driver. I have the X5 fully charged now and when I connect it to Surface Pro with new driver - the charge light on X5 turns red (just in case, if in storage mode - it charges well), connected to pc or laptop its green. Will install new firmware to see what happens, if OTG is disabled its no problem for me I do not like the SQ of X5 that much anyways.

You don't like the X5's sound? I think other than the narrower sound stage than I'd prefer it's pretty perfect for the headphones I'm using (Baldoor E100). Wish I knew of something that had the same signature but was just more open. Stacking it with a FiiO E12A IEM Edition now to open her up but wouldn't mind have a single unit.

As for the drivers go is there a specific reason why you're using the new drivers? Why not just revert back to the older version since it worked? I HIGHLY doubt there's any noticeable difference (if any at all!).

Also, please update the thread with your findings with the 2.7 firmware in case someone has the same problem in the future. I will also try the DAC with the latest drivers and post my results later. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #19,184 of 19,652

You don't like the X5's sound? I think other than the narrower sound stage than I'd prefer it's pretty perfect for the headphones I'm using (Baldoor E100). Wish I knew of something that had the same signature but was just more open. Stacking it with a FiiO E12A IEM Edition now to open her up but wouldn't mind have a single unit.

As for the drivers go is there a specific reason why you're using the new drivers? Why not just revert back to the older version since it worked? I HIGHLY doubt there's any noticeable difference (if any at all!).

Also, please update the thread with your findings with the 2.7 firmware in case someone has the same problem in the future. I will also try the DAC with the latest drivers and post my results later. 

Back! And have some interesting observations to report.  Just installed new 2.7 FW and..NOTHING! Red light again. COnnected it to laptop and everything is fine. Then I made an interesting discovery - I was using unthinkably old USB hub (like 2003). That last discovery actually solved another mystery that was annoying me for some time. To that hub I have successfully connected Hifiman EF2A  (in DAC mode) and Meridian Explorer but for some extremely strange reason Dragonfly V1.2 was causing virus-like problems (exiting full screen mode and re-entering it and interfering with keyboard...weirdest thing ever). Now I checked it without the HUB - all normal with X5 and DF1.2!!

About not liking the X5´s sound. To be honest my opinion is a product of unfulfilled expectations and impressions after comparing it to other DAPs and DACs. And interestingly my disappointment lies in the price/performance ratio. Before my last statement raises red flags and "what-the-f...this guy doesn't know what he´s talking about"-like thoughts, I paid a lot for it ($470). Currently I live in Mexico and here prices are  sometimes absurdly high (or very low if very very lucky). For example, HD 800 (in the official Mexican Sennhheiser site) costs $1726 without shipping, Hifiman HE-400s lowest price is $411, HifiMan Focus pads are sold for $115, Sony Walkman ZX2 goes for $1880 and so on..so you get the idea. Before purchasing X5 I researched a lot about it (including the 1st reviews when it was on world-tour) for 7 months and convinced myself that it will be like all-in-one end-game for my needs or something like that. Then I saw that it was finally available and purchased it for the lowest possible price at that time. I waited, unboxed it slowly paying attention to every detail, enjoying the feeling of such a fine piece of technology in my hands, put the SD cards loaded with lots of FLAC files and some 320k MP3s, upgraded FW, left EQ flat, pushed play on my favorite test songs and...was hit in the face by the understanding of what the "underwhelmed" mean (for the price I paid). Do I really need to burn it in? Perhaps headphones are the worst pairing for this device? I have to EQ it? Then I remembered the reason I got the X5 - to be direct upgrade for the Walkman F806. To my surprise it was not even close to be even a side-grade. I couldn't believe it and was having hard time getting myself to enjoy the SQ of X5, I always had that annoying feeling that something is missing. That feeling (something is not right or missing) started my head-fi journey for the perfect headphones and IEMs in the first place.Every time I compared X5 to F806 the conclusion was obvious. Even all flat, no EQ or sound enhancements on the F806 I always preferred Sony. With sound enhancements such as DSEE, Dynamic Normalizer and Clear stereo enabled, difference grow bigger. Also you can use Poweramp app on Walkmans with Android. But my internal conflict was that I paid only $95 for the brand new F806 (it was clearance sale or something like that) and it sounded undeniably better (for me) than the well-acclaimed X5 for which I paid more than I wanted to. Then I tried to use it as a DAC and I liked it considerably more than the on board sound card  of PC or Laptop. Interestingly I had no DACs when I bought X5 and was thinking that investing in one was a waste of money and desk space. Then I got good deal on the Meridian Explorer and it was a "eye" opening experience - suddenly X5 sounded very unrefined, laid back and dirty (muddy) and for me it was impossible to go back to X5 after ME (for which I paid 138 NEW and shipped), then I got Hifiman EF2A and Dragonfly 1.2 for VERY cheap and every single of them outperforms X5 easily in terms of SQ (EF2A also have lots of power and can be used as an amp with X5 as source..and I paid only $94 for it with extra pair of Sylvania tubes). 
It may seem that I think X5 is not good at all but it is not true. After expanding my headphone collection I made a very interesting discovery about synergy. The polarizing Denon AH-D600 which sounded somewhat artificial with the Walkman, resulted to be very good with X5 - I liked the combination a lot, it sounded natural (which is far from the first word that comes to mind when I think about D600´s sound signature). Another good match were the Shure SE535. For some reason SE535 sounded very good, especially for vocal and acoustic, the sound was engaging but clean and somewhat a little bit dry. The worst pairing ever for X5 were the Senns HD700 - I could not believe how bad they sounded compared to D600. I even did some "blind" (never told the real price) tests with some friends and every single one of them was convinced that D600 sounded better and they assumed that Denons were probably more expensive!. Furthermore, when I did the same with SE535 everyone but two of my friends (n=6) said that SE535 had its EQ second to Denons having more clarity/transparency but being somewhat "dry" and "shallow". When I repeated the tests (using X5 as source) but adding Fiio E11 into the mix, opinions/preferences shifted to HD700 then SE535 and then Denon D600 (side note: *29April 2016*: all of them preferred modded Hifiman He-400 over HD700 and every other headphone except SE846). However, when I did the same little experiment using Walkman F806 and Fiio E11 all preferred Senns HD700/SE846 then Hifiman HE-400 and Shure SE535. Using Meridian Explorer as source/DAC and Fiio E11 as AMP results were more interesting: every one agreed that SE846 destroyed everything except HE-400 which sounded more engaging, fun and expansive/3d (!!!) than HD700 (but much worse than SE846) which was extremely much better sounding than Denon D600. 

Sorry for the long post. 

May 1, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #19,185 of 19,652

Thanks for all the information on FW2.7. I use OTG to try out new albums before I load it onto the internalSD card so I will stick to FW2.5, although the scrollwheel was a bit beter in FW versions before FW 2.5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back