The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #19,156 of 19,652
  No, it's a bug and many people have the same problem, I'd suggest you read this and other forums and you'll see it. Again FiiO is more than aware of the problem but they failed miserably in taking responsibility for it. A spade is a spade folks ! Customers paid good money for something that does not do what it's supposed and FiiO should do something about it.

It may be a bug, but not everyone has it.  I've had the X5 longer than most - and my unit still connects first time, every time. It may well be an issue with your particular unit.  In that case it might be best to contact FiiO directly, or contact the dealer you got the unit from.

My other advice as a Moderator would be to also tone down the aggression a little.  I understand how this might be aggravating you.  This particular forum is not the place to show that aggression - OK?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #19,157 of 19,652
Going by my experience of USB issues, going back now almost 2 decades, it's probably a mismatch between USB hardware, or wacky driver issues (if Windows is concerned).  Unless FiiO knows specifically what is going wrong where users are having trouble, they can't fix anything, and the fix would probably be a firmware update, or if a driver conflict is involved, then it's not their fault at all.

In all honesty, of all the companies that make USB-based gear, be it DACs or DAPs, every single one has had Windows users (a fraction of 1% of customers) that had issues of some sort. 

BTW, no conspiracy theory here... people are starting to flag posts so I happened to see the discussion -- I'm posting as a regular member irrespective.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #19,158 of 19,652

There have only been a very few problems with USB modes, and Fiio always cleared them up for the customers. I would not bash them. I am sure they told you to send back to China. If your is not recognized by computer, and it is not your fault, it means it is an USB fault, which cannot be corrected by firmware, it would need repairs. 

I think you should calm a bit, and see what went wrong, Fiio have always been amazing with their customers. 

This. Mine stopped working as I mentioned earlier here and no firmware fixes it. If it were a firmware issue it wouldn't travel across firmwares when it worked before.

Sucks for me because I bought mine used here and the seller isn't willing to help me so now I'm stuck with it. Let's just hope the actual charging function doesn't break. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #19,159 of 19,652
  Going by my experience of USB issues, going back now almost 2 decades, it's probably a mismatch between USB hardware, or wacky driver issues (if Windows is concerned).  Unless FiiO knows specifically what is going wrong where users are having trouble, they can't fix anything, and the fix would probably be a firmware update, or if a driver conflict is involved, then it's not their fault at all.

In all honesty, of all the companies that make USB-based gear, be it DACs or DAPs, every single one has had Windows users (a fraction of 1% of customers) that had issues of some sort. 

BTW, no conspiracy theory here... people are starting to flag posts so I happened to see the discussion -- I'm posting as a regular member irrespective.

Nah, in the case of the X5 it's just the port going bad for whatever reason. Happened to mine like the 4-5th time I plugged it in. Just dead. No computer, cable, USB port, firmware, etc would fix it. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #19,160 of 19,652
Does anyone know how to pop this thing open so I can see if maybe the USB issue is something I can fix. I mean, it's out of warranty and doesn't work so I figure why not? 

I'm assuming it has something to do with removing the wheel as I see no screws anywhere else. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #19,161 of 19,652

This. Mine stopped working as I mentioned earlier here and no firmware fixes it. If it were a firmware issue it wouldn't travel across firmwares when it worked before.

Sucks for me because I bought mine used here and the seller isn't willing to help me so now I'm stuck with it. Let's just hope the actual charging function doesn't break. 

Don't start opening it. 

Fiio usually repairs them for a very small fee, if you send it to China. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #19,162 of 19,652

I have been interfacing with FiiO for ages and yes they asked me to contact the vendor (I did) but I purchased through Massdrop and FiiO told me that Massdrop is not an authorized vendor. With regard to my comments - isn't this what this forum is about and don't FiiO ask for honesty and not to be be shy?

Strange that FiiO takes this position with Massdrop purchases considering Massdrop sells hundreds of FiiO devices for FiiO which means $$$$$$$$$

I reiterate this problem is well known and documented! You say FiiO provide great customer service so as a result of this I expected FiiO to replace faulty units for something they know is a fault. They had me change the cable, reload new firmware etc.... All of which was a waste of time and money. The X5 is not inexpensive and the DAC connection is one of it's main selling features.

So to FiiO I'll send you my dud / lemon X5 for replacement and I'll pay any extra for the newer model. Is that fair?

T

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #19,163 of 19,652

I have been interfacing with FiiO for ages and yes they asked me to contact the vendor (I did) but I purchased through Massdrop and FiiO told me that Massdrop is not an authorized vendor. With regard to my comments - isn't this what this forum is about and don't FiiO ask for honesty and not to be be shy?

Strange that FiiO takes this position with Massdrop purchases considering Massdrop sells hundreds of FiiO devices for FiiO which means $$$$$$$$$

I reiterate this problem is well known and documented! You say FiiO provide great customer service so as a result of this I expected FiiO to replace faulty units for something they know is a fault. They had me change the cable, reload new firmware etc.... All of which was a waste of time and money. The X5 is not inexpensive and the DAC connection is one of it's main selling features.

So to FiiO I'll send you my dud / lemon X5 for replacement and I'll pay any extra for the newer model. Is that fair?

T

Of course it is fair. 

You did purchase off an unauthorized reseller. Massdrop items do not have warranty with companies,they have their own warranty, you should contact them and ask what to do. 

Also, Fiio does not ask for much money to repair, your problem was not experienced by many, and you surely cannot have warranty anymore. In fact, it is time for X3 3rd gen, not even some X5IIs don't have warranty anymore. 

The point is that they agreed to help you, to repair it for a very low price, and you complain that they don't do it for free, even though you bought at a very reduced price from massdrop. I paid 410$. I am pretty sure you paid much less. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #19,164 of 19,652

Below are just a few people with the same problem ......... There hundreds of examples sooooo this is a bug and FiiO have failed to see this

I have been having the same problem for a couple of days, now.  It plays music fine... holds a full charge... and I can take the SD cards out of the slot, add/delete music via a card reader... put the card back into the X5... and the music will play back without a problem. 

Go figure...

Oh, and I'm connecting my X5 to a Mac Pro, running OS X 10.9.5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick update to what I've done (so far)....

1)  I removed both SD cards from the X5.  I put each one into a USB card reader, plugged it into the Mac, and ran Disk Utility to "verify" each card.  One card came out totally clean, but the other card has problems.  Actually, this is a bad card that I knew had problems, and I accidentally put it back into my X5!

2) So I launched the X5 with only one SD card installed (the good one).  Still, the X5 would not mount up on my Mac via USB cable.

My next step:  I'm going to try a FW reinstall, see if that helps.  I just noticed that there's a new version of the FW, deemed the "Final" version (    ).  I will install that, and see if it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This. Mine stopped working as I mentioned earlier here and no firmware fixes it. If it were a firmware issue it wouldn't travel across firmwares when it worked before.

Sucks for me because I bought mine used here and the seller isn't willing to help me so now I'm stuck with it. Let's just hope the actual charging function doesn't break

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Today my X5 has gone a bit kaput. First I noticed that my OTG storage stopped working, and then I realised that when I tried to connect it to my PC, the PC didn't recognise the X5 either. The PC charges it but doesn't recognise it as a drive. It's definitely in the correct USB mode, I tried to reinstall the firmware (and tried an old firmware too) and used the reset button,  but nothing has helped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Have tried different cables and different ports on different computers, but the X5 doesn't get recognised at all. The fact that the X5 doesn't recognise my OTG drive either (and I tried different cables there too) suggests it's something wrong with the X5's USB connection. It's not firmware as I have reinstalled 2.4 and gone back to 2.5 without any difference. The SSD I use on the OTG connection connects to the PC with no issues. Don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to make it go wrong.
——---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Ive tried this about 30 times now in multiple USB inputs on my laptop. Doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting this message when I try to download the drivers

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #19,165 of 19,652

Below are just a few people with the same problem ......... There hundreds of examples sooooo this is a bug and FiiO have failed to see this

I have been having the same problem for a couple of days, now.  It plays music fine... holds a full charge... and I can take the SD cards out of the slot, add/delete music via a card reader... put the card back into the X5... and the music will play back without a problem. 

Go figure...

Oh, and I'm connecting my X5 to a Mac Pro, running OS X 10.9.5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick update to what I've done (so far)....

1)  I removed both SD cards from the X5.  I put each one into a USB card reader, plugged it into the Mac, and ran Disk Utility to "verify" each card.  One card came out totally clean, but the other card has problems.  Actually, this is a bad card that I knew had problems, and I accidentally put it back into my X5!

2) So I launched the X5 with only one SD card installed (the good one).  Still, the X5 would not mount up on my Mac via USB cable.

My next step:  I'm going to try a FW reinstall, see if that helps.  I just noticed that there's a new version of the FW, deemed the "Final" version (    ).  I will install that, and see if it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This. Mine stopped working as I mentioned earlier here and no firmware fixes it. If it were a firmware issue it wouldn't travel across firmwares when it worked before.

Sucks for me because I bought mine used here and the seller isn't willing to help me so now I'm stuck with it. Let's just hope the actual charging function doesn't break

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Today my X5 has gone a bit kaput. First I noticed that my OTG storage stopped working, and then I realised that when I tried to connect it to my PC, the PC didn't recognise the X5 either. The PC charges it but doesn't recognise it as a drive. It's definitely in the correct USB mode, I tried to reinstall the firmware (and tried an old firmware too) and used the reset button,  but nothing has helped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Have tried different cables and different ports on different computers, but the X5 doesn't get recognised at all. The fact that the X5 doesn't recognise my OTG drive either (and I tried different cables there too) suggests it's something wrong with the X5's USB connection. It's not firmware as I have reinstalled 2.4 and gone back to 2.5 without any difference. The SSD I use on the OTG connection connects to the PC with no issues. Don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to make it go wrong.
——---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Ive tried this about 30 times now in multiple USB inputs on my laptop. Doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting this message when I try to download the drivers

Connect to internet using a smarphone connection to avoid banned IPs due to area restrictions. 

Also when buying used, if bought without warranty, it is buyers fault for not checking all things. I always sell with warranty, or sell at a lower price. 

Also, your X5II should have a slightly different name, as massdrop has their own exclusive modified versions of things, they don't sell vanilla versions of what they sell as far as I know. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #19,166 of 19,652
I have a problem with the X5 (never had a problem before). After downloading and installing the new dac drivers without any problems I noticed that when used as DAC the X5 will not charge anymore and it even consumes what is left of battery and then just runs as usb DAC. On the X5´s screen it seems that it is charging the battery but when I disconnect it the battery logo is red and it just turns off. If only connected to a usb charger it charges well as always.
If anyone had this problem or know how to fix it your help will be much appreciated.    

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #19,167 of 19,652
Dear FiiO and George - regardless of where the device is purchased from, it still is a FiiO AND the number of people who have reported the same problem on the X5 CAN NOT be ignored.

I realize you and FiiO want to promote FiiO and frankly I want it to be good too. I also own two E12's an E9 and an E7. These work great.  The X5 for me and the many people I quote, has been a disappointment which I believe FiiO should have fixed at no charge. We purchased an expensive player that we need to use workaround's in order for it to be functional. This IS NOT fair, correct nor good business.

I'm afraid I and others will have to be re-convinced. 

I have mellowed and reiterate I'm prepared to return my X5 and PAY the difference for an upgrade.

T

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #19,168 of 19,652
Try to keep in mind that the disappointed are more vocal than the satisfied. So while it may feel like there are a lot of issues, which is also skewed by expectation bias, there are also many without such issues.

Also, as a recommendation, while having something fixed free of charge is nice, in order to live a happier life, if it doesn't go your way I'd just suggest accepting it and move onto the next way to have your problem fixed. Or just take this as an opportunity to try out something new.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #19,169 of 19,652
Happy X5 user for many years - all well and no problems here. But not using it that often anymore - too many DAPs

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #19,170 of 19,652
  Dear FiiO and George - regardless of where the device is purchased from, it still is a FiiO AND the number of people who have reported the same problem on the X5 CAN NOT be ignored.

I realize you and FiiO want to promote FiiO and frankly I want it to be good too. I also own two E12's an E9 and an E7. These work great.  The X5 for me and the many people I quote, has been a disappointment which I believe FiiO should have fixed at no charge. We purchased an expensive player that we need to use workaround's in order for it to be functional. This IS NOT fair, correct nor good business.

I'm afraid I and others will have to be re-convinced. 

I have mellowed and reiterate I'm prepared to return my X5 and PAY the difference for an upgrade.

T

I think you may be on to something about FiiO knowing about this problem. Why? Well, for one, the 2.7 firmware (that isn't publicly available apparently as they sent me a link in an email) FIXED MY USB ISSUE!!!

So...that's the 2.6 firmware where it apparently just chose to stop working...and even AFTER loading the 2.4 AND 2.5 firmware neither brought back the function. Why not? How not? Even being a big geek this makes no sense to me. The firmware is the heart and soul of any electronic. So how wiping it, reinstalling it, etc doesn't fix a software issue is maddening. It would seem that changing firmwares on the X5 doesn't completely "wipe" the previous firmware or something to that effect. Installing the 2.7 firmware everything works perfectly. Listening to it in DAC mode now.

Here's the link to the 2.7 firmware if no one has linked it yet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqz7sdvqyqifqlw/X5-FW2.7.zip?dl=0

Personal Google Drive link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YWQ3E5PCkvQmY3dTdXMzgwV1U

So yeah, apparently FiiO is WELL aware of the USB problem considering they've fixed it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back