The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #18,451 of 19,652
I like having a large number of choices. I know there are many files on my X5 I will probably never get around to hearing. But If I want to hear something and I reach for it and it's there, the cost of the memory card means nothing to me. Nothing at all. I bought mine when they were $120. I bought 3 at that price. Now I see them for $59 and I don't care even a little bit.

I remember paying $800 for a 160 mb (that's megabyte, not GB or TB). It was a full height Wren III SCSI drive and it took 2 minutes to spin up. I thought I stole it for $800. I was so pleased. The fact that I have three 128GB cards that I could stick in my nose amazes and amuses me. 

I typically just play all, then delete the songs I know I will not like much anyway, so that I have remaining a sort of "Best of" selection.

I also remember trying to install a game on a friend's hard drive, but discovering there was no space to install the 3 MB game. Turns out he had only a 4 MB hard drive.
Or going from 2 MB of memory to 8 MB of memory - it made quite a difference in DooM 2.

I'm pretty sure I am.

What are we talking about?

blink.gif

There are two rules:
1) I'm always right
2) In case I'm not right, see 1)

biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #18,453 of 19,652
There are two rules:
1) I'm always right
2) In case I'm not right, see 1)

:D

I see you've read Pinky's Secret Rules of Discourse. :)

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #18,456 of 19,652
Blush.

Ian,  you must have missed the wink after the one of us is right statement.  :wink:

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #18,458 of 19,652
I know FiiO is very busy with multiple upcoming product launches and such, but are there even plans to release any future firmware upgrades for the X5 first gen? If so when? I know the current firmware is relatively stable, but there are still improvements to be had. I certainly hope that FiiO isn't planning on abandoning support for their legacy products, at least not at this early of a stage.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #18,459 of 19,652
  I know FiiO is very busy with multiple upcoming product launches and such, but are there even plans to release any future firmware upgrades for the X5 first gen? If so when? I know the current firmware is relatively stable, but there are still improvements to be had. I certainly hope that FiiO isn't planning on abandoning support for their legacy products, at least not at this early of a stage.

I would think not, if Gen II is up and running and the X5 firmware being as stable as it is. I'm using modded firmware, but really can't think of anything that I would like changed from FiiO's side.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #18,460 of 19,652

I would think not, if Gen II is up and running and the X5 firmware being as stable as it is. I'm using modded firmware, but really can't think of anything that I would like changed from FiiO's side.

Extended battery life, one of the guys who reviewed it on their website states (with no quote) that there'll be a firmware update that extends the battery life to 15 hours.

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #18,461 of 19,652
Battery life was not something that I had considered

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #18,462 of 19,652
I am sure someone discussed this before but I am not going through over 1,200 pages to read everything....but...

I just bought the X5 (first gen) on sale.  Why does the X5 have to be so damn big?  And man.....that click wheel....needs to go......

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #18,464 of 19,652
The X5 is a lot more powerful, and better SQ, than an iPod. There's quite a bit more circuitry and is about as small as FiiO could make it. The X5ii is ever so slightly smaller. But not by much.

For those of us who appreciate really excellent sound, something that fits easily into any pants pocket is no hassle at all.

I agree about the wheel. It got pretty bad after about a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back