The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #17,897 of 19,652
Where do you live?

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #17,899 of 19,652
Well that narrows it down. :rolleyes:

If you don't have a local headphone shop in your city/state then I suggest purchasing online. Pretty much the only way to purchase either brand.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #17,901 of 19,652
B&H Photo is really good. Good price on the X5 right now while they last.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032833-REG/fiio_x_5_portable_high_resolution_music.html

Of course there's always Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/X5-Resolution-Lossless-Music-Player/dp/B00I4Q9S32

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #17,902 of 19,652

In using the DAC for the X5, I decided to forego the amp as suggested and connected the headphones directly to the LO.

Unfortunately, the itunes volume was set to max, and so the headphones were blasting away at max volume for several seconds before I could rescue them. Hopefully, I didn't blow out the drivers or add any distortion. :frowning2:

I lowered the volume on itunes as much as possible, but even at the very lowest setting, the sound level is still around 55 dBA. 

Is there any way to lower the volume further? If not, I will go back to using the amp. 

Using it as a DAC, you should still connect your headphones via the headphone out.  The Line Out is only for connecting another amp. 

i use the line out and control the volume via windows, what could be the potentional harm to my earphones?

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #17,903 of 19,652
  i use the line out and control the volume via windows, what could be the potential harm to my earphones?

Little potential harm - if you prefer to do it that way (although see my second paragraph below).  The normal way of doing it though is to use the volume control on the X5 (ie the H/O).  Using full sized headphones (either high impedance or low sensitivity) will probably give you enough headroom to use the line-out if that's your preference.  But with IEM's you're going to run out of usable volume control pretty quickly (it'll be too loud).

If (for example) you have the Windows volume control up too high, or inadvertently bump it - while you're using the fixed (high) volume line-out, you're going to get a huge burst of volume really quickly - and depending on the headphones - you could damage them, or potentially your hearing.

I just tried it now with my HD600 - and volume on Win is at 25% and I wouldn't want to go much further. With my DUNUs I'm down to 15% or lower.  The potential for a big burst of sound is simply worse. So I guess its up to the individual how much risk they want to take.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #17,904 of 19,652
B&H Photo is really good. Good price on the X5 right now while they last.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032833-REG/fiio_x_5_portable_high_resolution_music.html

Of course there's always Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/X5-Resolution-Lossless-Music-Player/dp/B00I4Q9S32

You can't go wrong with either of the above. I purchased mine from B&H Photo and I buy way too many things from Amazon.
Use Best Buy to save money on Blu-Rays and get the good stuff online.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #17,905 of 19,652
  i use the line out and control the volume via windows, what could be the potentional harm to my earphones?

This may be a good idea or less so, depending on the output impedance of the line out and the headphone used. So you may gain transparency and lose neutrality. And you may lose digital resolution by lowering the volume digitally, unless Windows outputs 24 bit.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #17,906 of 19,652

This may be a good idea or less so, depending on the output impedance of the line out and the headphone used. So you may gain transparency and lose neutrality. And you may lose digital resolution by lowering the volume digitally, unless Windows outputs 24 bit.

Windows outputs 24bit/196Khz (depending on sourcefile, of course)

I use Equalizer APO, in combination with Peace, GUI for equalizer APO to regulate sound signature.

Headphones are usually Grado GR10e

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #17,907 of 19,652
Headphones are usually Grado GR10e

So rather low impedance. I don't know the output impedance of the X5's line out, but suspect it might =3271&scale=30]curve the frequency response to some degree. Good to have an equalizer then.

Windows outputs 24bit/196Khz (depending on sourcefile, of course)

You need to force Windows to output 24 bit in any event (but you may already know that).

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #17,908 of 19,652

So rather low impedance. I don't know the output impedance of the X5's line out, but suspect it might curve the frequency response to some degree. Good to have an equalizer then.

You need to force Windows to output 24 bit in any event (but you may already know that).

I second this!

By default, windows outputs 16/44.1 and the volume algorithms are not lossless by any means. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #17,909 of 19,652
Really ridiculous how good this X5 is sounding. :)

BTW, someone mentioned the X5's amp section is just as good as the E12's, so no need to pair them. Yet, aren't quite a few running this exact setup?

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #17,910 of 19,652
  Really ridiculous how good this X5 is sounding. :)

BTW, someone mentioned the X5's amp section is just as good as the E12's, so no need to pair them. Yet, aren't quite a few running this exact setup?

Sure are :) It really depends what you're driving. Both my HD-650's and LCD2.2's really benefit from the boost the E12 gives. For most cans around the 50-120ohm range (except planars) the X5 alone does a fine job, With my HD-558's I notice no real difference except the slight colour shift. Some cans need more volts/power, some don't.

Edit: the E12 has greater voltage swing and several times more power output than the X5 amp alone. Perhaps the reference you quote was to the quality of the amp sections. Both are incredible for their size/price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back