The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #16,113 of 19,652
Great. Thanks JaZZ.

Are you too of the opinion that an external amp like the FiiO E12A won't improve sound quality, layering, etc, for IEMs?

Improvement for one is not for another. If you like more bass and an amp allows an increase, you may consider that an improvement. I might not. What you asked was 'is an Amp NEEDED'. The answer to that is no, because it has a pretty good amp.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #16,115 of 19,652
  Great. Thanks JaZZ.

Are you too of the opinion that an external amp like the FiiO E12A won't improve sound quality, layering, etc, for IEMs?

I haven't used an amp with it so far, but I can't imagine that the sound would improve – just become different, as has been said, especially if the amp has a dedicated bass boost (if you like/need that). But the bass is already good for me, it's powerful and accurate, neither thin nor boomy. You could still use the 31 Hz slider for increasing it if you have to. Personally I don't miss anything, although of course with the Hugo as DAC/amp it sounds even better. But that's a different category. I'm really satisfied with the sound of the X5 as is. The signal from the line out is possibly identical to that from the headphone out, so another amplification stage would introduce additional distortion and signal rounding (read: double amplification), maybe with the benefit of slightly higher dynamics due to stronger power supply.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #16,116 of 19,652
  Yes, thats what I wanted to know too.

with fiio x5, if you already have fiio e12a, x5+fiio e12a will sound better than fiio x3+e12a.

depending on what you are looking for, you might still use e12a with x5 or might not. i really love the sound without e12a, but love the sound with e12a too!

depending on other factors, you should consider why you are trying to get x5.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #16,117 of 19,652
I wouldn't think that FiiO would design the LO of the X5 to be run through the amp section thereby making it no different than using the headphone output. My X5 will arrive next week and I look forward to hearing it. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #16,118 of 19,652
Hello People! :)

I'm new here, Lurked around here alot to read X5 reviews and finally made the decision to buy it :D Since I just received my X5 today. I updated it straight away to FW 2.4. (had 2.3 installed in the box) but I have a question regarding the Volume of this player..I use HD 419 with this and I have to raise the volume all the way to about 90+ to get decent loudness on Low-Gain. Since HD 419 isn't really high-end headphone I'd like to know why the low sound. Does any one else face this problem or is it just my player? 

Thanks alot guys!

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #16,119 of 19,652

I'm new here, Lurked around here alot to read X5 reviews and finally made the decision to buy it :D Since I just received my X5 today. I updated it straight away to FW 2.4. (had 2.3 installed in the box) but I have a question regarding the Volume of this player..I use HD 419 with this and I have to raise the volume all the way to about 90+ to get decent loudness on Low-Gain. Since HD 419 isn't really high-end headphone I'd like to know why the low sound. Does any one else face this problem or is it just my player? 

Thanks alot guys!

it is totally normal.. you just like loud music. i tested hd419, and yes, around 90, it is still normal loud.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #16,121 of 19,652
  Thank you so much for the quick reply! Just wanted that confirmation haha. I was kinda freaking out thinking maybe I might have to reset it or something.

while i can advice you to listen not that loud, it is normal. you should not be able to listen anymore without pain at max volume, and around 110 it should be almost too loud. if this checks, it means that you like loud music, but your x5 is fine!

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #16,122 of 19,652
  while i can advice you to listen not that loud, it is normal. you should not be able to listen anymore without pain at max volume, and around 110 it should be almost too loud. if this checks, it means that you like loud music, but your x5 is fine!

Yes you're right It starts to hurt around 100+ already. I usually just stay around 80-90 but I yea I cannot go below 80 then it starts to become really low :). I was just curious because I've seen people mention on one of the x5 review not sure where but they said they cannot go above 40 it starts to become really loud. I was like huh..how come I have to raise so much above 90 etc to get decent loudness haha. Maybe they had an amp or something idk.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #16,125 of 19,652

Thanks alot guys!

Alarm bells!

HD419 specs are 32 ohms and 108 dB sensitivity - ie not hard to drive, and quite sensitive

Comparatively my HD600 are 300 ohms and 112 dB sensitivity - ie slightly more impedance, but higher sensitivity

HD600s on the X5 are loud enough at around 70/120 - so if you're pushing your HD418 at 90, I'd suggest you're listening at louder than what is safe - especially if it's modern, highly compressed music.

Well recorded music (eg classical) you might need extra on - but as Wokei suggests, I'd seriously think about measuring (db meter?) how loud you're actually listening.

A lot of hearing loss is permanent - I personally wouldn't take the risk ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back