The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #15,451 of 19,652
Haven't heard E07,so I can't comment on that. I can tell you that X3 and X5 have different sound signatures, so if you really liked the X3 it might be better to buy that instead of X1, X3 II, or X5. I've been thinking of selling my X3,so if you are interested in that it's available, in near mint shape, and will be lower priced than a brand new one.

Thanks for your suggestions and offer. Do note that I stay in Delhi, India and do PM your price and whether you can ship it here.

Thanks & cheers 

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #15,452 of 19,652
Haven't heard E07,so I can't comment on that. I can tell you that X3 and X5 have different sound signatures, so if you really liked the X3 it might be better to buy that instead of X1, X3 II, or X5. I've been thinking of selling my X3,so if you are interested in that it's available, in near mint shape, and will be lower priced than a brand new one.

I'm still very impressed with the X3. The synergy it seems to have with the DUNU DN-1000 is pretty impressive for the price I paid for the X3 (160 AUD mint second hand) although admittedly I do favour a warm/dark sound signature.

I also prefer the controls of the X3 over the X5 as I can confidently control it without having to look at it whilst in bed at night without screwing around with a scroll wheel that at times misbehaves. The hardware based bass/treble controls are also IMHO well implemented.

My X3 gets more time than my X5 simply because of it's portability and controllability with my DUNU's.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #15,454 of 19,652
I agree that the X3 is a great DAP. I also like the buttons and the hardware bass/treble controls. I like the X5's dual mSD slots even more, though!

@ShreyasMax: Didn't realize you were in India. No idea what shipping to India would cost from US. I've only sold within CONUS before.

I guess minimum shipping would cost about 30 USD. So I guess its best for me to buy from websites in nearby countries such as Singapore which have free shipping to India. 

Coming back to the sound, do you consider the X5 to be a proportionate increase in SQ to X3 as to the price?

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #15,455 of 19,652
  I'm still very impressed with the X3. The synergy it seems to have with the DUNU DN-1000 is pretty impressive for the price I paid for the X3 (160 AUD mint second hand) although admittedly I do favour a warm/dark sound signature.

I also prefer the controls of the X3 over the X5 as I can confidently control it without having to look at it whilst in bed at night without screwing around with a scroll wheel that at times misbehaves. The hardware based bass/treble controls are also IMHO well implemented.

My X3 gets more time than my X5 simply because of it's portability and controllability with my DUNU's.

Do you feel the X3 performs about 85% as good as the X5 in terms of sound, since you mention that you use your X3 more. My query is mainly focused on sound quality/ signature as compared to the X3 or X1+Amp

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #15,456 of 19,652
Depends on what you want ShreyasMax. X3 has warmer, more intimate sound signature. X5 has more analytical, open sound signature.

If you prefer warm + intimate, then X3 will be better despite being less expensive. If you prefer more analytical + open, then you'll prefer X5 but will have to pay more. Fortunately, along with the higher price you get 2 mSD slots and (arguably) more intuitive UI.

There's always DX90 and Pono in the same-ish price range as X5, too...

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #15,457 of 19,652

Do you feel the X3 performs about 85% as good as the X5 in terms of sound, since you mention that you use your X3 more. My query is mainly focused on sound quality/ signature as compared to the X3 or X1+Amp

Thanks.

The X5 is definitely more detailed and neutral as far as SQ goes. The X3 has a rather if I dare say it a fun toe tapping warm sound signature and IMHO way better controls. Certainly more bass but relaxed treble compared to the X5. The amp is as powerful as the X5 and for the money I think the X3 represents outstanding value.

I got my X3 second hand quite cheap. It equates to about a 3rd of what I paid for the X5. 

With regards as to do I think it performs about 85% as good as the X5 well it depends on the sound signature you like. I use my X5 with an amp for when I want neutrality and detail but more often than not I just want to kick back and have a few beers and enjoy the music without having to critically listen and for that I always turn to the X3. It also drives my NAD Viso HP50's rather well. To be honest I would still be as happy as a pig in the proverbial if I had not purchased an X5. I like the X3 a lot!!

You stated that you quite liked the X3 so IMHO go with what you have heard and save some dollars and have some fun. If you are set on a X5 listen to it 1st if possible with music you are familiar with.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #15,459 of 19,652
Folks,

Need some advice before I take the plunge with the X5. I tried reading through the thread but it was a bit of a chore, so thought of asking the question directly.

First some background information; I currently use the iPod classic+E07k combo or a Cowon C2 as portable sources. I've used the X3 briefly from a friend recently and found the sound to be of my liking, and a clear step up from my existing sources, but unfortunately the X3 has ran out of stock in most places.

So my question is whether the latest firmware is stable and bug-free enough that I can invest in an X5 right now, instead of waiting for newer releases of X3/ X5. 
Or, should I just get an X1 and use LO through my E07k and would that match the sound of the X3/X5?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

The FW is very stable on my X5. It has been stable for me since day one and they've kept adding features like play through folders that help with usability. When I had the X3 it was always crashing/freezing on me (mind you that was on FW 1.0 - 2.1).

I formatted the card with the X5 and have clean tags and artwork and use mostly ALAC and FLAC files.

I also was quite happy with the sound of the X5 over the X3 when I made the switch and compared them side by side. Of course your mileage may vary with SQ, but the takeaway is the X5 is very stable for me.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #15,460 of 19,652
Just one more thing I have to say about the X3 vs X5.

I purchased the X3 after I got the X5. Had it been the other way round I would not own an X5. 

The X5 is obviously a better player player with more features etc but I find that because it cost a lot more I tend to listen to the player and not the music if that makes any sense!!

If I ever got an AK240 I feel all I would do is critically listen and miss the point altogether.

As far as any firmware issues go I have never had any glitches with either player with official releases.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #15,461 of 19,652
Depends on what you want @ShreyasMax. X3 has warmer, more intimate sound signature. X5 has more analytical, open sound signature.

If you prefer warm + intimate, then X3 will be better despite being less expensive. If you prefer more analytical + open, then you'll prefer X5 but will have to pay more. Fortunately, along with the higher price you get 2 mSD slots and (arguably) more intuitive UI.

There's always DX90 and Pono in the same-ish price range as X5, too...

The X5 is definitely more detailed and neutral as far as SQ goes. The X3 has a rather if I dare say it a fun toe tapping warm sound signature and IMHO way better controls. Certainly more bass but relaxed treble compared to the X5. The amp is as powerful as the X5 and for the money I think the X3 represents outstanding value.

I got my X3 second hand quite cheap. It equates to about a 3rd of what I paid for the X5. 

With regards as to do I think it performs about 85% as good as the X5 well it depends on the sound signature you like. I use my X5 with an amp for when I want neutrality and detail but more often than not I just want to kick back and have a few beers and enjoy the music without having to critically listen and for that I always turn to the X3. It also drives my NAD Viso HP50's rather well. To be honest I would still be as happy as a pig in the proverbial if I had not purchased an X5. I like the X3 a lot!!

You stated that you quite liked the X3 so IMHO go with what you have heard and save some dollars and have some fun. If you are set on a X5 listen to it 1st if possible with music you are familiar with.

Thanks for all the quick replies. And right on time too as I have just ordered the last new unit of X3 left in stock available currently online here in India. 

Your inputs were exactly what I needed to know and yes I do prefer a slightly warm and intimate listen as compared to an analytical one, although I guess I'm sacrificing on finer details a little bit. This I'll look to improve with a future upgrade, either with an amp or a different source altogether. 

Thanks & cheers

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #15,462 of 19,652
The FW is very stable on my X5. It has been stable for me since day one and they've kept adding features like play through folders that help with usability. When I had the X3 it was always crashing/freezing on me (mind you that was on FW 1.0 - 2.1).

I formatted the card with the X5 and have clean tags and artwork and use mostly ALAC and FLAC files.

I also was quite happy with the sound of the X5 over the X3 when I made the switch and compared them side by side. Of course your mileage may vary with SQ, but the takeaway is the X5 is very stable for me.

I do agree, @x RELIC x, but the X3 unit I had used was pretty alright on FW 3.0, and I'm looking to save some INR for my upcoming trip to the US of A this year, so that there'll be some cash left in the pocket to invest in a decent upgrade. The X5 from what I've read so far has more details, blacker background and sounds more open, all of which are great, but I thought I'll take the smaller step up first, and then move on from there.

Thanks, and do let me know once you're ready to sell your X5 in the future:wink:

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #15,463 of 19,652

Thanks for all the quick replies. And right on time too as I have just ordered the last new unit of X3 left in stock available currently online here in India. 

Your inputs were exactly what I needed to know and yes I do prefer a slightly warm and intimate listen as compared to an analytical one, although I guess I'm sacrificing on finer details a little bit. This I'll look to improve with a future upgrade, either with an amp or a different source altogether. 

Thanks & cheers

Enjoy your new X3 and put the thought of upgrades out of your mind for now and have some fun as I'm sure you will.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #15,465 of 19,652
With the new firmware for X5, I have had only one case of the unit freezing. It was connected in storage mode to my laptop. As soon as the laptop went to sleep mode the X5 just froze with no response and the screen showing only the wall paper and no texts. However, just long pressing the power button was able to turn the unit OFF. I did not have to perform a hard reset. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back