The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #15,421 of 19,652

How does it not is a better question.  Better trebles and mids, more forward mids, clear bass (maybe slightly lighter than X5), and so much more detail across all frequencies that it's irrefutable.  I was a non-believer.  Now I'm a believer.  With the balanced cables even more so.  

I am glad you found something you like. I know there is better out there than the X5 with regards to sq. I guess I could google it but I was curious about the storage capabilities? I like having 2x128 with the X5.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #15,422 of 19,652
Show some mercy olddude!

Pretty please... I just bought a sweet brown Dignis case for my X5, an even sweeter orange Dignis case for my DX90, and want to pimp my IHP-140 out with a 500gb or 1tb ssd.

No more talk of this magical combination of Pono + balanced dragon cables so obviously crafted from rainbows & unicorn tears :wink_face:

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #15,423 of 19,652
You forgot Little Ponies (Pono?).  

I have that case for mine, I like it.  

I was gonna buy the X7, and a nice $1K+ CIEM, and now I don't think I am.  This just suits my needs.  It's not perfect, but it is very good for the price.  I'm reading that DSD is going to be added (soon?).  It doesn't have folder to folder, and I miss that.  Storage is less, but I bought a 128 and will soon transfer my 64 over to it.  And it holds 64 internally.  So plenty for me there.  

Sorry.  Blame my kid for giving me a nice present, if he hadn't I'd still be happily listening to my X5 plotting for an X7 and CIEMs.

Gonna put the X5 up for sale soon, probably with both 64s included.  Someone will be happy.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #15,424 of 19,652
  It's the detail that makes me say this.  It's a holy cow kinda thing.  I don't have a DX90 so I can't say about that.  With the balanced cables on the Fidues, it's a double decker holy cow.  

I do think the X5 has slightly more bass than using the Ponos with a non-balanced  cable.  Not much but slightly less (the Pono).  With balanced, not even in the same universe, at least with my Fidues.  

The PONO doesn't look portable to me. I'm interested for sure, but that shape (unless I'm missing something) won't fit in a pocket for a ride on the bus. Plus, I couldn't see any information on the power output. Also, is this truly balanced in design, or just convenience connection balanced? Not trying to rag on the Pono, believe me, I'm interested for sure, but sometimes when something sounds too good to be true you need to dig a little deeper. What are your thoughts on these questions? Thanks.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #15,425 of 19,652
Ayre designed the thing.  Look them up.  They are a quality company making quality devices.  As for specs, Google is your friend.  This site also has at least two Pono threads.  I carry it in my shirt pocket with no issues, and I only use it while walking.  Real balanced.  

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #15,426 of 19,652
  Ayre designed the thing.  Look them up.  They are a quality company making quality devices.  As for specs, Google is your friend.  This site also has at least two Pono threads.  I carry it in my shirt pocket with no issues, and I only use it while walking.  Real balanced.  

On the Pono site the specs were somewhat scant, but thank you for your input, that does help. I will be investigating the Pono more as I am seeking a DAP in the near future. When you say real balanced, is it a bridged or a differential design? Cheers.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #15,428 of 19,652
Jan 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #15,429 of 19,652
It means that the author thinks nothing is better than 16/44 because the math says so.  And that his test subjects preferred their phones with MP3s to the Pono playing hi-res.  This was not a particularly scientific experiment, but take away from it what you want.  

I would also suggest that for those of you here with X5s, the results would have been the same, and the "listeners" would have preferred their phones over the X5.  So either all of us with X5s are wasting our money and/or hearing things that aren't there or....  So, why DO you have an X5?  Does it sound better than a phone to you or is there some other reason you bought it?  Just replace the word Pono with X5 when you read this type of drivel.  Or DX90, or AK120 or 901 or....  

See, when people say the Pono isn't better than their phones or iPods, what they are REALLY saying is that ALL audiophile players are snake oil and those that use them are either effete snobs or deluded fools anxious to spend their money on magic beans.  

Do all of you X5 users feel like the above for buying your X5s?

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #15,430 of 19,652

I would also suggest that for those of you here with X5s, the results would have been the same, and the "listeners" would have preferred their phones over the X5.  So either all of us with X5s are wasting our money and/or hearing things that aren't there or....  So, why DO you have an X5?  Does it sound better than a phone to you or is there some other reason you bought it?  Just replace the word Pono with X5 when you read this type of drivel.  Or DX90, or AK120 or 901 or....  

See, when people say the Pono isn't better than their phones or iPods, what they are REALLY saying is that ALL audiophile players are snake oil and those that use them are either effete snobs or deluded fools anxious to spend their money on magic beans. 

exactly. well said.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #15,431 of 19,652
[@]skerry2006aj[/@]: Consider the E12 DIY over E12 & E12A. The ability to try out different buffer + opamp combinations keeps it interesting and helps you find your preferences.

+10.....highly recommended than those 2....different combinations for iems and headphones, to reveal their full potential....

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #15,432 of 19,652
I wonder if there are any solutions for replacing X5 battery beside sending it back to Fiio? Thanks

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #15,433 of 19,652
I believe the issue is GETTING a battery for it as they are only available in China.  At least I think I read that earlier in the thread.  Can anyone point to that discussion?

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #15,435 of 19,652
I imagine Fiio will help with X5 battery replacement. They're selling X3 batteries for $15 and providing instructions for owners to replace them.

That's not fair, someone needs to ask them to give instructions and selling it too. Isn't X5 their flagship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back