The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #15,466 of 19,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post

Enjoy your new X3 and put the thought of upgrades out of your mind for now and have some fun as I'm sure you will.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post

Yes, enjoy your X3!

Thanks, I sure will.
Cheers

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #15,467 of 19,652
  With the new firmware for X5, I have had only one case of the unit freezing. It was connected in storage mode to my laptop. As soon as the laptop went to sleep mode the X5 just froze with no response and the screen showing only the wall paper and no texts. However, just long pressing the power button was able to turn the unit OFF. I did not have to perform a hard reset. 

Longs pressing the power button is a stronger version of hard reset, as said james a few posts back around here..

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #15,469 of 19,652
I agree that the X3 is a great DAP. I also like the buttons and the hardware bass/treble controls. I like the X5's dual mSD slots even more, though!

@ShreyasMax: Didn't realize you were in India. No idea what shipping to India would cost from US. I've only sold within CONUS before.

The X5 dual slots outweighed the other the things X3 had for me. I enjoyed the size and the power the X3 exhibited as well.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #15,470 of 19,652
Hi guys, newbie here. I just bought a x5 last week and it was my first time to use it today in my car via line-out then aux-in of my head unit. Although my primary purpose is to use it with my home tube amp. I like it's build quality and just love the dual micro sd card slot. Upon hooking it up with my cars head unit, the difference in music output with my iPod 5.5 gen is night and day. However, I agree that the UI needs some getting time to be used to it. After a few hours, I can safely say that I've gotten the hang of it, mostly. I also immediately upgraded it's FW to the latest and the process was as easy as opening my ref's door :). With that said, I have a few questions:

1. What is the difference if I use the headphone out and line out when I connect it to the cars head unit via aux-in?

2. Does the internal DAC process the sound whether I use headphone out or line out?

3. If I attach it to my cars head unit via USB, and it detects and plays the files on my cards, the x5's internal DAC doesn't function anymore right?

4. When attaching to my tube amp at home, should I use headphone connection or line out?

5. Does the equalizer work all the time, regardless if I use headphone, line out or coax?

6. How do I extend the life of its internal battery?

That's all for now, thanks.

Egzbuen

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #15,471 of 19,652
Hi guys, newbie here. I just bought a x5 last week and it was my first time to use it today in my car via line-out then aux-in of my head unit. Although my primary purpose is to use it with my home tube amp. I like it's build quality and just love the dual micro sd card slot. Upon hooking it up with my cars head unit, the difference in music output with my iPod 5.5 gen is night and day. However, I agree that the UI needs some getting time to be used to it. After a few hours, I can safely say that I've gotten the hang of it, mostly. I also immediately upgraded it's FW to the latest and the process was as easy as opening my ref's door :). With that said, I have a few questions:

1. What is the difference if I use the headphone out and line out when I connect it to the cars head unit via aux-in?

2. Does the internal DAC process the sound whether I use headphone out or line out?

3. If I attach it to my cars head unit via USB, and it detects and plays the files on my cards, the x5's internal DAC doesn't function anymore right?

4. When attaching to my tube amp at home, should I use headphone connection or line out?

5. Does the equalizer work all the time, regardless if I use headphone, line out or coax?

Egzbuen

Nope I don't think the EQ works through the LO.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #15,472 of 19,652
Hi guys, newbie here. I just bought a x5 last week and it was my first time to use it today in my car via line-out then aux-in of my head unit. Although my primary purpose is to use it with my home tube amp. I like it's build quality and just love the dual micro sd card slot. Upon hooking it up with my cars head unit, the difference in music output with my iPod 5.5 gen is night and day. However, I agree that the UI needs some getting time to be used to it. After a few hours, I can safely say that I've gotten the hang of it, mostly. I also immediately upgraded it's FW to the latest and the process was as easy as opening my ref's door
smily_headphones1.gif
. With that said, I have a few questions:

Egzbuen

1. none would work, you have to use coaux out
2/DAC processes both ho and lo
3.yes, it does not work anymore, but i guess that it depends on the model of the car's head unit.
4.line out. HO also uses amp in x5 and it adds some noise to the signal if you feed it into external amp. double amping is not good, as the line in of the external amp has very high impedance.
5.only headphone out and line out. coax out does not have eq, as far as i knoe and used... 
6.use an external amp instead of intrenal amp, charge often, when connected to external amp use line out, listen at low volumes..

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #15,475 of 19,652
Welcome @egzbuen... Just to correct some misinformation...

1> LO would be the preferred route, but if your head unit has been designed to use an iPod/iPhone then you will probably experience clipping and be forced to use the HO and set it to a suitable volume. Coax will not work unless your head unit has a digital in option. In which case - like 3> you will be using the head unit's DAC and preamp.
5> EQ will work with LO - it is a digital EQ. EQ has no affect on files with bit depth higher than 24bit/48KHz

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #15,476 of 19,652
If cars Aux in is an analogue line signal, you should use line out like for your home amp. You would only use coax out if car head has a digital input. Coax out bypasses internal DAC of x5 so any unit connected would need ability to use its own DAC.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #15,477 of 19,652
Just seen your reply Uzi! Oh well, at least we are saying same thing.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #15,479 of 19,652

Line out bypasses the X5's internal amp and outputs the full power from the DAC. Headphone out uses the internal amp in the X5 so you will be double amping if going from HO to another amp. Do not plug headphones directly to the line out jack. This is used to feed the converted analog signal from the DAC to a more powerful amp or an amp you prefer the sound signature of. If you hear clipping or distortion you should use the headphone output to your car.

Yes. The Digital Analog Converter converts the digital information to an analog signal to send to the amp. The only intended way to bypass the amp and DAC is with coaxial out which is a purely digital signal.

I don't know if it will work with all cars, but it should bypass the DAC, don't know for sure though as this is not an intended use of the X5.

Use the line out to bypass the internal amp in the X5. See above.

Yes, the EQ works full time through heaphone out, line out and coaxial out. It is implemented on the SoC so it's its applied before the DAC. The only time it is disabled is when playing files that are above 24bits/48kHz sample rate.

Many answers to this question. You can avoid high resolution music files, listen at low levels, don't use high gain, minimal use of the screen, etc......

The most impactful ways to extend the battery life are:

Use line out. This will pretty much double the battery life of the X5 to around 18-20 hours. The amp is one of the biggest power draws in the player.

Use coaxial out. By bypassing the DAC and the amp I've acheived around 30 hours of playback.

Egzbuen

Enjoy.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #15,480 of 19,652
He said aux in, i thought that aux in is most of times a digital one... sorry, i am not really into car audio, so i don't know very well... 

Aux input is always analog. Only coaxial, optical, digital XLR and USB are digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back