The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #15,256 of 19,652

I think there are several folks using the X5 with the Oppo HA-1...   it also works quite well with the WOO Tube Amps...  as does the X3 as it has the better line out ....

I'd say that's a matter of opinion..............
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #15,257 of 19,652
I'm still having a start-up problem with my unit.  Battery fully charged. 
I turn it on, wait for boot-up, and then hear a IEM-devastating crack/thump of the X5 turning off.  After a few more attempts to turn on with unplugged HPs, it comes on having lost the 'last position' I was listening at, going back to song 01 all files.
Sometimes, I can turn it on and it works flawlessly.  I'm mainly conserned about the damage to my 846s after a while.
Anyone experienced this problem?

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #15,258 of 19,652
Loving my X5.  It's the first portable music player I have had that supports FLAC as previously I have had all iPods and, boy, am I rediscovering my music.  I just re-ripped all my CDs and I am noticing detail that I completely missed until now and bad production is being made more obvious.  

Fiio X5 + AKG K550s + FLAC = perfection :D

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #15,259 of 19,652
I turn it on, wait for boot-up, and then hear a IEM-devastating crack/thump of the X5 turning off.  After a few more attempts to turn on with unplugged HPs, it comes on having lost the 'last position' I was listening at, going back to song 01 all files.
Sometimes, I can turn it on and it works flawlessly.  I'm mainly conserned about the damage to my 846s after a while.

UELong, are you sure your jack is inserted all the way? I really can't think of any other reason from a user standpoint.

A possibility is the relay protection is not working properly. You should not hear any pops on startup. This would also explain why it shuts down right away.

Have you contacted FiiO?

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #15,261 of 19,652
I've just loaded my mp3 catalogue onto my x5 and I'm noticing that accents on letters are not shown or picked up as Chinese characters, e.g. Communiqué shows on the album list as 'Communiqu' and song titles that have ó, ò or other accented letters in them have these substituted with what looks lime Chinese characters. Have I done something wrong (i.e. should i be using specific key combos to enter them, other than the ones in the symbols menu in windows) or could this be one for the development team? Apologies if I'm doubling up someone else's question...

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #15,263 of 19,652
Ok, thanks for the info. Might be the extended character numbers (Alt + 4 digit number) you get on the special characters menu. I'll have a look at whether I can stick them back into standard ascii (Alt + 3 digits)...
I reckon the extended character map equates to Chinese symbols I'm seeing.
That's another incentive to rerip my library into flac then... :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #15,264 of 19,652
When I say Amp, I mean you don't necessarily need a seperate Amp for 90% your cans or IEMs.

90%... Do you guys think an amp would be needed to drive correctly the HD600 or HD650?

I heard great things for X5 + C5 + HD650 but some people seem to use the X5 with an HD 600 or HD 650 without an extra amp... Is the bass full and well defined - or is an amp kinda needed for those headphones?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #15,265 of 19,652
I've tested the X5 with an HD650 and it sounded quite nicely.

I've received my unit a couple of day ago. Also I really like the devices from a technical point of view I think the firmware is absolutely awful.

The media browser seems to ignore the discno tag and lists file with disc1-1,disc2-1,disc1-2 and so on.

Also the media browser is a pain to use. It just is too slow to scroll.

But the biggest thing IMHO is that there is no real play queue. AFAIK even the first creative jukebox had one. You could add single tracks, albums or whole artists. I really hope this will improve a lot because it could be such a good player.

greetings

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #15,266 of 19,652

Hello UELong,

Indeed, I would not recommend using the 846 with the FiiO until your problem is sorted. That's a problem with the kind of output the X5 can throw around... :eek: What happens during one of those failed attempts to turn on the unit with no headphones connected?

Sorry for the trouble you're having :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 20, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #15,267 of 19,652
Is it possible to use X5 as DAC?
I know that it has this feature but as manual says:
What is the charging current of the X5 while charging?
A:About 470mA through a computer USB port or 1.3A through a dedicated USB charger (while unit is powered off)

So it must use more than 470mA while it's ON.
USB is only 500mA. Is it enough to power X5?

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #15,268 of 19,652
  Is it possible to use X5 as DAC?
I know that it has this feature but as manual says:
What is the charging current of the X5 while charging?
A:About 470mA through a computer USB port or 1.3A through a dedicated USB charger (while unit is powered off)

So it must use more than 470mA while it's ON.
USB is only 500mA. Is it enough to power X5?

Do not worry. While it is charged through wall usb, it charges faster, but it does not consume more than 500ma, what the usb of the computer provides. it is all right, i am using x5 as  my main DAC for quite a while, and it never ceases to amaze me..

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #15,269 of 19,652
Hello UELong,

Indeed, I would not recommend using the 846 with the FiiO until your problem is sorted. That's a problem with the kind of output the X5 can throw around...
eek.gif
What happens during one of those failed attempts to turn on the unit with no headphones connected?

Sorry for the trouble you're having
redface.gif

It starts with the welcome screen, switches to the good-bye screen and thumps and turns off.  I think the remedy is to turn it on without the HPs plugged in and it starts okay.  But not sure of that, yet.  Happened on several firmware updates.
Right now, I'm using 2.4 modern simplisity.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #15,270 of 19,652

It starts with the welcome screen, switches to the good-bye screen and thumps and turns off.  I think the remedy is to turn it on without the HPs plugged in and it starts okay.  But not sure of that, yet.  Happened on several firmware updates.
Right now, I'm using 2.4 modern simplisity.

Have you been only using modded firmwares? Or does all of this happen when using the Fiio released ones as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back