The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #15,136 of 19,652
Very nice. Been thinking about one for my X5 but $60.00 landed here in Australia. How's the quality?

High-quality - thumbs-up!

Are there any cases that give you access to the sd card slots?

Can't access mSD cards with Dignis X5 case, but I've got 2 x 128gb Sandisk mSD cards installed with most of my music already on them so it's not a big deal for me. I just copy over new albums as I purchase. I really like how the case makes the X5's front flat, and the case is flush with the touchscreen so it's not popping up from the front of the X5. There are small (but very functional) depressions over the four buttons - easy to find, easy to use, hard to accidentally press buttons.

The Fiio "leather" case is a good alternative if you don't mind the flap and somewhat flimsy plastic clip-on tray thingie. After a couple times removing and reinserting my X5, the plastic tray started to crack which prompted me to look at the Dignis case again. I also got a lot of accidental button presses through the flap.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #15,137 of 19,652
Hi, i'm new here, i have a question for you if this is possible, what are the differences between the fiio e10 and the e12? i know one is portable and the other no. I like to know the technical characteristics differences, thanks and sorry for my english.
I think I will buy a JVC sz1000 that will be driven by one of the two listed above FiiO

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #15,138 of 19,652
HI everyone. 
I picked up the Fiio x5 about a week ago after returning the x1. As part of a general SQ upgrade I also got a new Beyer DT 990 pro 250 ohm after spending weeks doing research  and  hours auditioning  different kinds of open-back and closed headphones. I felt I needed a big change in SQ after years of frustration with my Senn HD 595s which I had found sounding dull, dry and somewhat  lacking sparkle in the highs, general dynamics and proper full bass response. THis is probly why I decided to pick up the Beyers which in most ways sounded  the opposite of the Senns.
Now to the point. While I didnt notice anything wrong with the sound coming from the Fiio  using a LO through an amp  while auditioning the Beyers in the shop , I got literally horrified when I got to do some proper listening in the quiet of my home. After listening  to the Fiio without an amp through my new DT 990s I started registering an annoyingly high degree of sibilance on many tracks. Other than that I was pretty excited about the SQ, especially the bass and highs as such. After listening to some more songs  I got so frustrated and disgusted  with the harsh ear-piercing sss´s that I in fact decided to return the Beyers.  
Now, putting the sibilance issue solely  down  to the Byers, especially after reading a whole thread  about this on here , I didnt even bother to give my old Senns a listen and set about putting the Beyers back in its retail package.
The next day I decided to listen to my Fiio , got hold of my Senns,  V-shaped the EQ , and, and to my horror and disbelief, the sibilance was there again, on the same tracks, maybe not as much, but It was definately there. Now the paradox is,  I cannot remember hearing any sibilance on the much cheaper X1.
Sorry for this longish write-up, but I am extremely frustrated and unhappy, dont know what to do. Shoud I  return the Beyers or the Fiio, or both ? Do they just need a much longer burn-in ? Might an external amp I have  just ordered  help sort this out ? I am desperate.
Anyone having similar problem? Any advice ? Any explanation ? Please, help!
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #15,139 of 19,652
  HI everyone. 
I picked up the Fiio x5 about a week ago after returning the x1. As part of a general SQ upgrade I also got a new Beyer DT 990 pro 250 ohm after spending weeks doing research  and  hours auditioning  different kinds of open-back and closed headphones. I felt I needed a big change in SQ after years of frustration with my Senn HD 595s which I had found sounding dull, dry and somewhat  lacking sparkle in the highs, general dynamics and proper full bass response. THis is probly why I decided to pick up the Beyers which in most ways sounded  the opposite of the Senns.
Now to the point. While I didnt notice anything wrong with the sound coming from the Fiio  using a LO through an amp  while auditioning the Beyers in the shop , I got literally horrified when I got to do some proper listening in the quiet of my home. After listening  to the Fiio without an amp through my new DT 990s I started registering an annoyingly high degree of sibilance on many tracks. Other than that I was pretty excited about the SQ, especially the bass and highs as such. After listening to some more songs  I got so frustrated and disgusted  with the harsh ear-piercing sss´s that I in fact decided to return the Beyers.  
Now, putting the sibilance issue solely  down  to the Byers, especially after reading a whole thread  about this on here , I didnt even bother to give my old Senns a listen and set about putting the Beyers back in its retail package.
The next day I decided to listen to my Fiio , got hold of my Senns,  V-shaped the EQ , and, and to my horror and disbelief, the sibilance was there again, on the same tracks, maybe not as much, but It was definately there. Now the paradox is,  I cannot remember hearing any sibilance on the much cheaper X1.
Sorry for this longish write-up, but I am extremely frustrated and unhappy, dont know what to do. Shoud I  return the Beyers or the Fiio, or both ? Do they just need a much longer burn-in ? Might an external amp I have  just ordered  help sort this out ? I am desperate.
Anyone having similar problem? Any advice ? Any explanation ? Please, help!
confused_face(1).gif

Which songs in which format and I can try with my X5. I don't have the DT990 but the T90 and the HD598 instead the HD595, so I think we can do some testing here...Which external amp did you order? I can test with C5D (JDSLabs) and C5 (Cayin). 

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #15,140 of 19,652
Hi and thanks for the response. The music on my Fiio is all in flac and I  heard  most of the highly unpleasant sounding sibilant consonants in  Paul Simon 's
vocals on his Graceland, There goes Rhymin Simon, and others, but also on many other albums by Yes, CSN and others. It is likely that some singers´ voices pitched higher
than others, typically Paul Simons, Neil Youngs, are more prone to sibilance, but I heard it more or less pronounced on lots of different kinds of music. if I should, however, pick some of the worst examples, they would be, as much as I can remember,  those two above-mentioned albums.
I  have ordered a desktop amp Pro-Ject Head Box S. I wonder if using the LO and the amp will change anything.
Cheers

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #15,141 of 19,652
So i went and bought that at my local radioshack. They only had the medium size. I'm actually happy I didn't get the large because i can feel the buttons better through the tighter fitting medium pouch.

I am going to attach a velcro strap to one of them so i can wear it over my coat and sweaters.

Cool. I hope you get a good setup figured out.

With the large ones they fit just right for me to have it just above my elbow when wearing a t-shirt (feeding the cable through the inside of my shirt down my arm), or just below my elbow when wearing a sweatshirt/light-ish jacket.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #15,142 of 19,652
Hi and thanks for the response. The music on my Fiio is all in flac and I  heard  most of the highly unpleasant sounding sibilant consonants in  Paul Simon 's
vocals on his Graceland, There goes Rhymin Simon, and others, but also on many other albums by Yes, CSN and others. It is likely that some singers´ voices pitched higher
than others, typically Paul Simons, Neil Youngs, are more prone to sibilance, but I heard it more or less pronounced on lots of different kinds of music. if I should, however, pick some of the worst examples, they would be, as much as I can remember,  those two above-mentioned albums.
I  have ordered a desktop amp [COLOR=444444]Pro-Ject Head Box S. I wonder if using the LO and the amp will change anything.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]Cheers[/COLOR]

Just the other day I was listening to Norah Jones on my Oppo HA-1 through the LCD-XC with balanced cable with the X5 as the source using digital coaxial, and I heard some bad sibilance/distortion on the highest pitches in the first track 'Don't Know Why'. Well, color me surprised as I don't remember hearing this before. I thought my headphones were giving out so I tried different headphones, same thing. So I tried the X5/e12 combo, same thing but much less and I had to listen intently. Then I tried the physical CD on my home stereo system and I still heard it, though again to a much lesser degree. The point is that the production of music from recording to media isn't perfect and there are many factors that highly resolving gear picks out, even in more modern recordings. The biggest issue I have is once I hear these things in a track I can't un-hear them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #15,144 of 19,652
Coming from a HiFi background, I feel many portable audio products mask, soften, roll off the treble so as not to offend on less than perfect recordings. The DAP/iem/phone then takes the blame when listeners change to a more proficient truthful producer especially if they have become conditioned to a safer sound. To hear higher fidelity, it is unfortunately a fact that some recordings will sound worse. But the alternative is rather bland, to me at least.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #15,145 of 19,652
LoL....and now every time you listen to that track you will consciously....or worse unconsciously...listen for the dreaded sibilance forever ruining that track (or artist) for the rest of your audio life = Doomed

Oh nooooo! The horror!! :D

Coming from a HiFi background, I feel many portable audio products mask, soften, roll off the treble so as not to offend on less than perfect recordings. The DAP/iem/phone then takes the blame when listeners change to a more proficient truthful producer especially if they have become conditioned to a safer sound. To hear higher fidelity, it is unfortunately a fact that some recordings will sound worse. But the alternative is rather bland, to me at least.

Yup, agree 100%

I'd rather know that I'm hearing the best I can, even with what really amounts to small distractions overall.

In the end once I know the track may have 'flaws' then at least I don't fret over the gear. The X5 has been quite the performer for me in this area.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #15,146 of 19,652

Yup exactly...a rolled off treble (to minimize sibilance) usually results in a less than "as good as it could be" soundstage and realism. I want my music to sound as 'live' as possible so any loss of treble or smoothing is usually detrimental.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #15,147 of 19,652
High-quality - thumbs-up!
Can't access mSD cards with Dignis X5 case, but I've got 2 x 128gb Sandisk mSD cards installed with most of my music already on them so it's not a big deal for me. I just copy over new albums as I purchase. I really like how the case makes the X5's front flat, and the case is flush with the touchscreen so it's not popping up from the front of the X5. There are small (but very functional) depressions over the four buttons - easy to find, easy to use, hard to accidentally press buttons.

The Fiio "leather" case is a good alternative if you don't mind the flap and somewhat flimsy plastic clip-on tray thingie. After a couple times removing and reinserting my X5, the plastic tray started to crack which prompted me to look at the Dignis case again. I also got a lot of accidental button presses through the flap.

I use the same case. I think it's classy looking and hadn't even considered a need to access the SD cards on a regular basis. However, I've been having a lot of bad episodes of GAS and have been fighting buying another Dignis case in Brown so that I can have a choice of colors. SQ upgrades at this point are pricey, so I'm seeking to find some amount of joy in the little things...lol

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #15,149 of 19,652
Yup exactly...a rolled off treble (to minimize sibilance) usually results in a less than "as good as it could be" soundstage and realism. I want my music to sound as 'live' as possible so any loss of treble or smoothing is usually detrimental.

I remember when CD came out, I changed my speakers to a softer sounding pair by Wharfdale to mask this new found harshness. Then wondered where all the life had gone in my vinyl. Not making same mistake again. Give me a DAP and IEMs that portray warts and all. For every poor recording there are the gems that sound sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back