The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,716 of 17,484
+1 pre ordered with MP4 nation. Hopefully i get it before my significant other gets the credit card statement
wink_face.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,717 of 17,484
@eke2k6, what are you trying to achieve here? People believe what they choose to believe, regardless of whether it is nonsensical or not. 

I'm not trying to achieve anything. This side of me gets triggered when people make statements like "the clip+ is horrible" without justification, and then try to say that it doesn't drive full sized phones. I'm sorry your Harley Davidson doesn't tow your trailer adequately.

Then he tries to say that other higher tiered daps do things better than the clip. So does everything else. There will always be something that does something better than x.

Either way, I think it made my point.

As for 24-bit files, I'll send you a technical explanation why you don't need then when I get back to my computer.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2,719 of 17,484
Quote:
I'm not trying to achieve anything. This side of me gets triggered when people make statements like "the clip+ is horrible" without justification, and then try to say that it doesn't drive full sized phones. I'm sorry your Harley Davidson doesn't tow your trailer adequately.

Then he tries to say that other higher tiered daps do things better than the clip. So does everything else. There will always be something that does something better than x.

Either way, I think it made my point.

As for 24-bit files, I'll send you a technical explanation why you don't need then when I get back to my computer.

Wait, what was the point of your fit? All I got was that we agree to disagree on the SQ of the stock Clip+ and the complete sway in relevance to this thread. I'm glad I was your weekly therapy. Life is tough with those people that make bold statements. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,720 of 17,484
Hi James,
I listening to X3 usually during bed time, when I'd skip song I keep on pressing the wrong key to menu instead of forward key. Is there in future will have a light up key pad for new line up X5 or improve version of X3?

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,721 of 17,484
Quote:
Hi James,
I listening to X3 usually during bed time, when I'd skip song I keep on pressing the wrong key to menu instead of forward key. Is there in future will have a light up key pad for new line up X5 or improve version of X3?

How long have you had it?

As with anything really, you get muscle memory and remember where the buttons are.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,722 of 17,484
Quote:
How long have you had it?

As with anything really, you get muscle memory and remember where the buttons are.

I got my unit on Sunday, 2 weeks exactly...I'm old man so its slow to tune my finger to memory those button location. haha
Its nice to see the light up keypad in future as all the mobile phone have this feature even the cheapest phone in town.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,723 of 17,484
Quote:
@eke2k6, what are you trying to achieve here? People believe what they choose to believe, regardless of whether it is nonsensical or not. 

People sometimes have an overwhelming need to be right, myself included. It's best to just let it go and let people think what they want - It's not as though
we are making governmental policy decisions that actually affect lives...

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,724 of 17,484
Came across a demo unit of the X3, can't give sound impressions since it used an IEM I have never used but I can give physical and interface impressions.

First, it has good build quality as far as first impression goes. The buttons need to get used to but it will come by (I wrongly pressed the buttons the first time I used it).

Also if it is the same thing bowei said, there is a short timed stop before a track starts playing if the file is from the SD card (have not tried with internal memory). The interface itself is simple and I hope costumization will be available in the future.

There is some things I have a problem with the X3:
- The volume up/down does not take effect unless it is in the "Now Playing" screen (is this normal?)
- If I use the line-out to amp, the volume automatically max out from the X3 and can only be controlled from the amplifier. I used a Clip Zip and I can control volume from both dap and amp although I understand that some people might not have a problem with these conditions.

But overall it is a good DAP and I am looking forward to its official release here.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,725 of 17,484
Hmm. Interesting.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,726 of 17,484
Quote:
Came across a demo unit of the X3, can't give sound impressions since it used an IEM I have never used but I can give physical and interface impressions.

First, it has good build quality as far as first impression goes. The buttons need to get used to but it will come by (I wrongly pressed the buttons the first time I used it).

Also if it is the same thing panda said, there is a short timed stop before a track starts playing if the file is from the SD card (have not tried with internal memory). The interface itself is simple and I hope costumization will be available in the future.

There is some things I have a problem with the X3:
- The volume up/down does not take effect unless it is in the "Now Playing" screen (is this normal?)
- If I use the line-out, the volume automatically max out from the X3 and can only be controlled from the amplifier. I used a Clip Zip and I can control volume from both dap and amp although I understand that some people might not have a problem with these conditions.

But overall it is a good DAP and I am looking forward to its official release here.

Yep, it took me a few days to get used to the buttons(as with any device). But I'm used to them now, the indented 'guides' help a lot. And muscle memory

Yes, I noticed the same thing that the volume up and down doesn't work unless in that screen, it seems to be a simple fix, so after they get stability done, I hope they fix that.

This is called fixed line out, where you can not change the volume(usually of the pre amp). 

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,727 of 17,484
Quote:
rather ask for forgiveness than permission, eh?

Better to have the X3 and spend a week in the doghouse than get verbally assaulted and have no X3
wink.gif

As for the clip+ vs X3 argument... The P in PM is Private for a reason... Why ask for a PM and then paste it here, presumably against one's will? Seems rude. Let's keep this chatter just about the X3 :D

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,728 of 17,484
Quote:
Yes, I noticed the same thing that the volume up and down doesn't work unless in that screen, it seems to be a simple fix, so after they get stability done, I hope they fix that.

Volume +/- are also used for changing setting sometime. If they have to be dedicated to volume only (which will work outside of Now Playing), then many of the setting will have to be changed. I doubt that will ever happens. There is only so much you can do with a 6 buttons configuration.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,729 of 17,484
Quote:

Volume +/- are also used for changing setting sometime. If they have to be dedicated to volume only (which will work outside of Now Playing), then many of the setting will have to be changed. I doubt that will ever happens.

I believe careful coding can change this.

Some settings that don't have the ">" to enter into a sub menu do use the +- to change it

But this is only on very few places. 

Coding it so that +- works for the ones that change settings while allowing all other ones to just have it control volume would work.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,730 of 17,484
Quote:
I believe careful coding can change this.

Some settings that don't have the ">" to enter into a sub menu do use the +- to change it

But this is only on very few places. 

Coding it so that +- works for the ones that change settings while allowing all other ones to just have it control volume would work.

Yes, but they are all compromise one way or another. Once you have a dedicated volume, changing EQ and settings becomes less convenience. It is one way or another, but no clear winner. That's why most DAP have more than 6 buttons, and dedicated volume control. If you think about it, 7 is really the optimum minimum for buttons, 1 or 2 more won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back