The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,536 of 17,484
Quote:
No. An iPod with line out capabilities to a good amp is better than X3. Not by itself.

That could vary somewhat depending on which iPod you were using, though. A Wolfson iPod like mine and a Cirrus Logic one like the newer models have quite a different sound signature. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2,537 of 17,484
Quote:
But if I recall correctly, even my j3 sounded better using flac 16/44 over alac on iphone.... Hence I was really happy with j3.... But I dont know the advancement made with this rockbox

That's because iPhone headphone out sucks... (I had all iPhones since 3G).  Seems some people think that idevice headphone outputs all sound the same - but infact they vary so much.

IMO, headphone out of iPod video (5G/5.5G) are best, and these are on par or exceeds Cowons, and is close to Sony DAPs with S-master.  Next will be old nanos and 6G/7G classic, and then headphone out of all others including iPhones don't sound good or infact sound poor, that they give the impression that all iPods suck - but that's a false generalization.

Line out is another story, but in general Apple DAPs and iPhone line out is good, or very good on iPods, considering the price.  So pairing them with good amps can instantly give you great sound.  I don't expect the X3 will beat these traditional setups on it's own, but hoping the X5 can do it.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #2,538 of 17,484
That could vary somewhat depending on which iPod you were using, though. A Wolfson iPod like mine and a Cirrus Logic one like the newer models have quite a different sound signature. 
But in terms of a stock iPod by itself beating a dedicated audiophile dap. I dont believe even the wolfson ones can beat it.

I have Nano 2nd gen and Touch 2nd gen which are rumoured to use the Wolfson. There is no easy way to check. Only by slicing the chips apart is the only way and even then only the iphones get that treatment.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,539 of 17,484
Going back to the new firmware

I have discovered the following and not sure if it qualifies as bug

if you put your flac files in 3 folders down: folder1\folder2\folder3\a.flac, the update library will not pick up the files e.g. jazz\miles davis\kind of blue\so what.flac

2 folders or less are ok...

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,540 of 17,484
Quote:
I have Nano 2nd gen and Touch 2nd gen which are rumoured to use the Wolfson. There is no easy way to check. Only by slicing the chips apart is the only way and even then only the iphones get that treatment.

list of what chips the different ipods use, google is an easy way to check :wink:
http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,541 of 17,484
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,542 of 17,484
Quote:

Same result as Panda at first. Then I converted both warble files to 96+192 FLAC using xrecode II, reconvert back to 96+192 WAV again (all lossless in the process), and now they can be played just fine. I suspect something in the original files' PCM codec that stops X3 from playback.

Thanks! I gather that both of those files were silent? I'm most curious about the 192kHz file. Do they become audible at high volume?

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,543 of 17,484
Quote:
Thanks! I gather that both of those files were silent? I'm most curious about the 192kHz file. Do they become audible at high volume?

No, I didn't hear anything.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,544 of 17,484
Going back to the new firmware

I have discovered the following and not sure if it qualifies as bug

if you put your flac files in 3 folders down: folder1\folder2\folder3\a.flac, the update library will not pick up the files e.g. jazz\miles davis\kind of blue\so what.flac

2 folders or less are ok...

^ Can any X3 owner please confirm this? It does sound like a bug. I always manually organize my album folders that way (genre -- artist -- album -- song), so I hope X3 can read >= 3 folders deep. Rockbox can read 4 folders deep without any problem.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2,545 of 17,484
Quote:
list of what chips the different ipods use, google is an easy way to check :wink:
http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

The only problems I found(I've seen this web page many times before) is that they are inconsistent with their findings.

However this page does seem the most likely.

I have 2X iPhone 3G, iPod Shuffle Second Gen, iPod Nano Second gen all using confirmed Wolfson's. I don't/never did a comprehensive audio test

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,546 of 17,484
Quote:
Some photos of the newest leather case for X3.  it is handwork sample so the build quality will be better in the final case.

But I don't really like the front though. The sides/top/bottom is too fat/wide. I know it'll provide better protection, but it looks ugly

I disagree - I think the case looks really classy. Great job, I'd definitely buy one.

Only criticism I have is that I don't think it's necessary to have a cut in the leather to allow changing SD card. If I need to change SD card, I could just slide the X3 completely out of the case to do it. If there is no memory card slot in the leather case, then it stops dust getting into the slot, which is a good thing.

Other than that, great case, James!

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,547 of 17,484
Quote:

I disagree - I think the case looks really classy. Great job, I'd definitely buy one.

Only criticism I have is that I don't think it's necessary to have a cut in the leather to allow changing SD card. If I need to change SD card, I could just slide the X3 completely out of the case to do it. If there is no memory card slot in the leather case, then it stops dust getting into the slot, which is a good thing.

+1

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,548 of 17,484
Quote:

I second that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back