The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,522 of 17,484
Looking great. Much better than the previous lot.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #2,523 of 17,484
I refuse to buy this leather case unless it is made out of Horween genuine shell cordovan leather.

LoL
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,524 of 17,484
But I don't really like the front though. The sides/top/bottom is too fat/wide. I know it'll provide better protection, but it looks ugly

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,526 of 17,484
Hi bowei,
do you mean to say that X3's SQ is not on a pair with that of a Rockboxed iPod + good quality port. amp?

thanks.
Yes generally. However if you re read my long post again. Its really at what you want. All in one convenience, features, and physical usability vs sound quality, ui usability and other things

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #2,528 of 17,484
Quote:
I think it would be. but we are talking used ipod with e12 that is about the same price as x3.

got it...

honestly, I wouldnt know how to do this rockbox stuff even if you give me an ipod.. also, if the ease is not drag and drop hdtracks onto the dap , it will drive me crazy also
if i recall those very early ipod, you have to install itune on computer also... that software can become slower every new update

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2,529 of 17,484
Quote:
got it...

honestly, I wouldnt know how to do this rockbox stuff even if you give me an ipod.. also, if the ease is not drag and drop hdtracks onto the dap , it will drive me crazy also
if i recall those very early ipod, you have to install itune on computer also... that software can become slower every new update

That's the beauty of Rockbox on the older iPods....no more iTunes required, and you can drag and drop on the iPod once Rockboxed.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,530 of 17,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost /img/forum/go_quote.gif

got it...

Installing rockbox is a breeze.  It can be done within 5-10 minutes including downloads from the Rockbox site.

Once an iPod (or any other DAP) is rockboxed you can drag/drop music files to it and play.  You don't need iTunes.  Rockbox supports m3u lists and gapless for any method of playback (rockbox playlist or m3u playlist or file browsing playback), which is imo the main advantage over the current X3 firmware.

Hopefully the X3 firmware improves over time so it can catch more Rockbox lovers like myself..

edit: doh beat me to it...

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,531 of 17,484
That's a bit surprising to me, iPod being better sounding. From my quick reading through would have thought the opposite. X3 has other features, as mentioned, but sound is my 1st priority (I also happen to have 2 left over iPod Touch's from when my teen daughters moved up to iPhones, no investment required). I'd think using hi-rez files X3 would KILL iPods, but maybe that's not the case.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,532 of 17,484
But if I recall correctly, even my j3 sounded better using flac 16/44 over alac on iphone.... Hence I was really happy with j3.... But I dont know the advancement made with this rockbox

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,533 of 17,484
That's a bit surprising to me, iPod being better sounding. From my quick reading through would have thought the opposite. X3 has other features, as mentioned, but sound is my 1st priority (I also happen to have 2 left over iPod Touch's from when my teen daughters moved up to iPhones, no investment required). I'd think using hi-rez files X3 would KILL iPods, but maybe that's not the case.
No. An iPod with line out capabilities to a good amp is better than X3. Not by itself.

Traditional stacks and audiophile daps play very different roles and are a bit hard to compare as you are comparing a lexus luxury car worth $40,000 to a Corvette worth $40,000. Each has its own use and fits a different person

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #2,534 of 17,484
Quote:
But if I recall correctly, even my j3 sounded better using flac 16/44 over alac on iphone.... Hence I was really happy with j3.... But I dont know the advancement made with this rockbox

You were using the various JetEffects, though, right?  So not exactly a fair comparison with the iPhone. 
wink_face.gif

The three Cowon players I've had (still have one)  sound a bit plain and lifeless until you dial in some tweaks.  You can dial in a very pleasing sound with some trial and error (there's a fine line between "just right" and unnatural and artificial sounding), but a lot of people here would turn their noses up at the thought of even EQ much less any kind of DSP like the JetEffects.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,535 of 17,484
Guy's, there was talk in this thread a week or so ago about Colorfly C3''s output impedance being 16 ohms, I believe many members were pretty set on that conclusion and it caused some misleading conversation regarding the player. I would like to inform members that where ever they heard that information was incorrect. The player has been measured by our reputable member ClieOS, Colorfly C3's output impedance is very low at around 0.4 ohm.

Source. http://www.head-fi.org/t/637417/colorfly-c3-appreciation-and-discussion-thread/1455#post_9582769

I hope this clears up any confusion for further readers.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back