The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,492 of 17,484
Hi-I just read the last 10 pages of this thread, and about the same at the beginning. I know someone will say, "read the whole thread", but I'm getting bleary-eyed. Just wanted to know if a review has been posted in the thread somewhere, and a link or page number if it has. The dap sounds promising, as does the X5 James has mentioned. Have a Studio Anniversary that's not working, thinking of trying something else. Thanks. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,493 of 17,484
Testing out some other features of X3 right now

Digital Coaxial output works and works great. No problems

With digital coaxial out, gain and EQ settings have no effect to the output. 

Testing out line out

And both work quite well. No problems in the minutes I tested

Audio test of X3 beginning

What is happening in this pic is that I am using the HS2 to test my Project-H against the X3. 

This is a test of unit vs unit. I need to be playing the same song on my computer to my Project H unit and the same one on the X3 to have a constant

A better test to do after this one would be to connect a 3.5mm cable into the X3's Line Out and then into the amplifier only line in on my Project-H unit of which then another cable goes from the headphone out of the P-H into the HS2.

This makes it so that the DAC of both times is the same and that only the amp being tested is changed between the X3's and then my amplifiers. 

#food4thought

Initial testing with my O2 with CS4398 conclues what I felt using the X3 solo. 

Acentuated bas range especially in mid bass and a bit in the sub bass. And more forward vocals, except with a bit less detail and loss of transparency compared to O2 due to it being more artificial sounding and colored as opposed to a more clear and analytical vocal range that an O2 brings.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,494 of 17,484
Quote:
Hi-I just read the last 10 pages of this thread, and about the same at the beginning. I know someone will say, "read the whole thread", but I'm getting bleary-eyed. Just wanted to know if a review has been posted in the thread somewhere, and a link or page number if it has. The dap sounds promising, as does the X5 James has mentioned. Have a Studio Anniversary that's not working, thinking of trying something else. Thanks. 

This is quite amusing. You have read a lot of the thread BUT! you missed the most important thing

Check the thread title 
tongue_smile.gif

basshead.gif

You may be hitting yourself in the head once you read the thread title 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,495 of 17,484
For those of you who have an X3, could someone test these files?
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/30_and_33-long.flac
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/warbles-96.wav
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/warbles-192.wav
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/Pido_O_trollbat.wav

All of them should be completely silent. I'd appreciate it if someone could test them to see if they are completely silent on the X3, or if it produces any sort of sound, even hissing.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,496 of 17,484
Quote:
For those of you who have an X3, could someone test these files?
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/30_and_33-long.flac
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/warbles-96.wav
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/warbles-192.wav
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/Pido_O_trollbat.wav

All of them should be completely silent. I'd appreciate it if someone could test them to see if they are completely silent on the X3, or if it produces any sort of sound, even hissing.

Thanks!

Just tested

The first two are quiet and have no problems

The last two Warbles do not work. Playback error

However, I have no problem playing back any other WAV's on the X3. 

your Warbles files work on my computer however.

There seem to maybe still be some bugs with WAV's 

I'll try an update of the library

edit:
nope, still do not work.

Any other 96/24 WAV or regular WAV I make works on the X3. 

Just your Warbles don't work

FW1.2EN

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,497 of 17,484
Thanks! I'll take two out of four. That indicates that the X3 has low distortion at least up to 96kHz. I've had trouble with the warbles files as well. I was hoping for a test of a 192kHz file, but that's at least promising.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2,498 of 17,484
Quote:
Thanks! I'll take two out of four. That indicates that the X3 has low distortion at least up to 96kHz. I've had trouble with the warbles files as well. I was hoping for a test of a 192kHz file, but that's at least promising.

I think you must hold the record for the longest time on head-fi with the least amount of posts ratio sir. 

But as they all say. Haters Gonna Hate 
t(ツ)_/¯​

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,499 of 17,484
Quote:
Alright this thread moves too fast; since I haven't gone through all the previous pages, I'm probably going to state a few things that probably have long been said, but I'm going to raise issues that I think need to be or are going to be addressed in the next few firmware revisions:
  • When the track is being played, the file name, rather than the tagged name of the song is displayed, same with menu browsing.
  • Tags don't work for ALAC/AAC
  • Sometimes, the first second of music doesn't play when jumping from one track to the next
  • When browsing through "Genre" and "Artist", the songs are sorted by file name, rather than tag name or track number, and not organized by album
  • The pop/click sound still exists after initialization of a song, or during shutdown, at least with sensitive IEMs
  • Why is the volume level out of '60' again? Seems like a strange number.
  • The text is still not anti-aliased via subpixel rendering, leading the text to appear jagged. Is subpixel rendering that difficult to implement? It'd at least minimize the appearance issues that people are talking about when it comes to this low-resolution screen.
  • If I have no favorites set, and try to enter the favorites menu, the generic "Playback Failed, File Not Found" notification is given. Error notifications may need to be differentiated a little more to be context specific, like "No Favorites" or something.

This is with FW1.2EN, BTW.

Just want to add one:

9. If you make use of "Disc number" for 2CD album, the track sorting will not take the Disc number into consideration.

e.g. Miles David - Bitches Brew (2CD)
1.01 Pharaoh's Dance
1.02 Bitches Brew
2.01 Spanish Key
2.02 John Mclaughlin
2.03 Miles run the voodoo down
2.04 Santuary

will be sorted as:

1.01 Pharaoh's Dance
2.01 Spanish Key
1.02 Bitches Brew
2.02 John Mclaughlin
2.03 Miles run the voodoo down
2.04 Santuary

The workaround is to rename the album title to Bitches Brew (cd1) and Bitches Brew (cd2)

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,500 of 17,484
OK, I didn't get the title of the thread...I may be needing some remedial reading, but, reading the thread title, it's still not clear to me (without your helpful comment) the review is not in this thread. Oh well, finally got to read it, makes me want one 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,501 of 17,484
Quote:
OK, I didn't get the title of the thread...I may be needing some remedial reading, but, reading the thread title, it's still not clear to me (without your helpful comment) the review is not in this thread. Oh well, finally got to read it, makes me want one 
biggrin.gif

Yep. You copy and paste it into a new tab
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663600/impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price

Here for reference.

It is best when writing reviews to post them into a new thread so that it is easilly searchable and findable through Google. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #2,502 of 17,484
Quote:
I think you must hold the record for the longest time on head-fi with the least amount of posts ratio sir. 

But as they all say. Haters Gonna Hate 
t(ツ)_/¯​

And you must hold the record (or at least be in the top five) for the most posts on Head-Fi in the shortest amount of time! 
eek.gif

I'm impressed!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,503 of 17,484
Quote:
And you must hold the record (or at least be in the top five) for the most posts on Head-Fi in the shortest amount of time! 
eek.gif

I'm impressed!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I do actually hold that record 
biggrin.gif

Although my HF friends have told me its not a good thing and I personally know it as well 
triportsad.gif

I'm already an avid computer user. So while gaming, watching drama's, watching anime, facebook, political stuff etc. I, on my second monitor keep head-fi open and every few minutes or so, I quickly hit F5 on the HF page and it lets me know which people have updated threads I am subscribed to. Etc Etc.

One of my HF friends is in HK and goes to HK HF meets sometimes. If you ever meet him, you may understand how we 'dwellers' operate lol 
rolleyes.gif

I have gotten many 'i'm impressed' comments from people, but to me. It kinda feels like having the award for the man who has eaten the most Big Mac's. Yay, its an award and has awed people. But it also isn't a good thing. But then again, it wasn't on purpose and wasn't forced.

Anyway, Back on task to the X3 :) 

Another review (RHA SA950i) will be posted and written first before I can write up the review of the X3 and the short one of the HS2. I am writing reviews in the order of units I get them so I must be sorry for those that are waiting for other reviews of it. 

My testing setup looks like the pictures you see above of my desk but about 2X more frantic as I have more converter cables to isolate sections of a unit and more headphones and compaarison units over it. (this is only for DAC/Amp units to be reviewd of course)

Hope more reviews of the X3 and more impressions from the world can be posted soon as well.

-Panda Sends 
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #2,504 of 17,484
Quote:

Thanks!

Same result as Panda at first. Then I converted both warble files to 96+192 FLAC using xrecode II, reconvert back to 96+192 WAV again (all lossless in the process), and now they can be played just fine. I suspect something in the original files' PCM codec that stops X3 from playback.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,505 of 17,484
Quote:
I do actually hold that record 
biggrin.gif

Although my HF friends have told me its not a good thing and I personally know it as well 
triportsad.gif

I'm already an avid computer user. So while gaming, watching drama's, watching anime, facebook, political stuff etc. I, on my second monitor keep head-fi open and every few minutes or so, I quickly hit F5 on the HF page and it lets me know which people have updated threads I am subscribed to. Etc Etc.

One of my HF friends is in HK and goes to HK HF meets sometimes. If you ever meet him, you may understand how we 'dwellers' operate lol 
rolleyes.gif

I have gotten many 'i'm impressed' comments from people, but to me. It kinda feels like having the award for the man who has eaten the most Big Mac's. Yay, its an award and has awed people. But it also isn't a good thing. But then again, it wasn't on purpose and wasn't forced.

Anyway, Back on task to the X3 :) 

Another review (RHA SA950i) will be posted and written first before I can write up the review of the X3 and the short one of the HS2. I am writing reviews in the order of units I get them so I must be sorry for those that are waiting for other reviews of it. 

My testing setup looks like the pictures you see above of my desk but about 2X more frantic as I have more converter cables to isolate sections of a unit and more headphones and compaarison units over it. (this is only for DAC/Amp units to be reviewd of course)

Hope more reviews of the X3 and more impressions from the world can be posted soon as well.

-Panda Sends 
beerchug.gif

Actually, I got the nickname "HK" years ago because my boss couldn't pronounce my last name. 
tongue.gif
  I live in California...
Hey, we all aspire to be the best at something.
biggrin.gif

I am waiting (im)patiently for the X3 to be offered here in the US.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back