The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #6,694 of 17,484
sorry to ask a stupid question, my car stereo has a 3.5 mm cable coming from it, how can i connect it to the coaxial input of the x3, what cable do i need

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #6,695 of 17,484
The repeat function does not work for me. I had this problem through 3 firmware versions (didn't post here, presumed it was a known issue and would be fixed): repeat all (the oval with the arrow, no "1" inside) just stops at the last track, it does not loop.
Help?
Thanks -- Monte

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #6,696 of 17,484
I appear to be getting occasional clipping noise while using the X3 as a USB DAC. This only happens in DAC mode and not using it as a standalone player. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to FLAC or mp3 tracks either. I tried re-installing the drivers, changing USB ports (it's connected at the back), and playing around with the sampling and bit rates. 

On a better note, I'm liking the sound quality more and more as I listen to it. It's like sinking into a nice, warm bath~

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #6,697 of 17,484
I have a question for those who have an X3.  When sorting tags, does it take into account the "Album Artist" tag?  I have many albums which have many different artist names in a single album, but one album artist so they list as being in the same album.  Some audio players (most android ones save for poweramp, for example) don't and put them all into different albums.  Honestly, if the X3 doesn't support this, it's somewhat of a dealbreaker for me.

Also, does it still not support tags in AAC files?  I have quite a few of these and it'd be a serious pain in the ass if it didn't.  Thanks a lot, guys!  Man, I haven't posted here for months.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6,698 of 17,484
  sorry to ask a stupid question, my car stereo has a 3.5 mm cable coming from it, how can i connect it to the coaxial input of the x3, what cable do i need

Huh? I'm a little confused by this. The coaxial is also output, not input (says output on the player). If you have a 3.5 mm cable, why not just use the line out?

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6,699 of 17,484
  I have a question for those who have an X3.  When sorting tags, does it take into account the "Album Artist" tag?  I have many albums which have many different artist names in a single album, but one album artist so they list as being in the same album.  Some audio players (most android ones save for poweramp, for example) don't and put them all into different albums.  Honestly, if the X3 doesn't support this, it's somewhat of a dealbreaker for me.

Also, does it still not support tags in AAC files?  I have quite a few of these and it'd be a serious pain in the ass if it didn't.  Thanks a lot, guys!  Man, I haven't posted here for months.

The sorting is messy at the moment and it doesn't use the "Album Artist" tag.  I, too, would make very good use of that tag.  It does let you browse files by directory instead of by tags, so I have been doing that.  When browsing files by directory, it currently just displays the filename and not any tag info.  On the "now playing" screen, it shows the "Title" tag and the "Artist" tag, but not when you have the "album cover" displayed.  It shows the "Artist" and "Title" even for AAC files.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6,700 of 17,484

The sorting is messy at the moment and it doesn't use the "Album Artist" tag.  I, too, would make very good use of that tag.  It does let you browse files by directory instead of by tags, so I have been doing that.  When browsing files by directory, it currently just displays the filename and not any tag info.  On the "now playing" screen, it shows the "Title" tag and the "Artist" tag, but not when you have the "album cover" displayed.  It shows the "Artist" and "Title" even for AAC files.

Thanks for letting me know!  I might have to hold off for now, then.  Honestly a majority of my albums are tagged in such a way that it just won't sort properly then.  I hope they fix this soon, I can't imagine it's a difficult thing to do.  I'd rather not have to retag ever single album that has different artist names for each song, they'd be tagged wrong that way anyway.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #6,701 of 17,484
  Thanks for letting me know!  I might have to hold off for now, then.  Honestly a majority of my albums are tagged in such a way that it just won't sort properly then.  I hope they fix this soon, I can't imagine it's a difficult thing to do.  I'd rather not have to retag ever single album that has different artist names for each song, they'd be tagged wrong that way anyway.

How would you want "various artists" albums to be displayed while browsing?  It'd probably be helpful to share.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #6,702 of 17,484

How would you want "various artists" albums to be displayed while browsing?  It'd probably be helpful to share.

Well, simply as a single album.  For example, iTunes will split the album even if they all have the same album name - given that it is, in fact, one album, it should be sorted as such.  This is the case with albums where there are guest artists and mixes where each track is simply a different artist.  Many of these are gapless albums, which would make it kind of lame if they were all just split into multiple albums in the browser.

If a mix is mixed by a single artist, let's say by Armin van Buuren, I would set the "album artist" as Armin van Buuren and leave the "artist" tag as it is.  If it's not a mix but instead a collection put together by an artist or label, I often just tend to do the same thing - set the album artist as the artist or label that put it together.

Either way, the only thing that really needs to be done, is recognizing the Album Artist tag and using that to sort albums instead of the Artist tag.  It wouldn't apply if you were simply sorting by song or by artist (although it would be nice to be able to sort by album artist - sometimes I want to be able to look through /all/ of the albums of one artist, not just the ones tagged with that name).

That said, I don't have a complete understanding of how the sorting system works.  I'm still pretty tempted to buy one of these, but given that so much of what I listen to won't be sorted properly, it might not be very useful for me right now.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,703 of 17,484
  Well, simply as a single album.  For example, iTunes will split the album even if they all have the same album name - given that it is, in fact, one album, it should be sorted as such.  This is the case with albums where there are guest artists and mixes where each track is simply a different artist.  Many of these are gapless albums, which would make it kind of lame if they were all just split into multiple albums in the browser.

If a mix is mixed by a single artist, let's say by Armin van Buuren, I would set the "album artist" as Armin van Buuren and leave the "artist" tag as it is.  If it's not a mix but instead a collection put together by an artist or label, I often just tend to do the same thing - set the album artist as the artist or label that put it together.

Either way, the only thing that really needs to be done, is recognizing the Album Artist tag and using that to sort albums instead of the Artist tag.  It wouldn't apply if you were simply sorting by song or by artist (although it would be nice to be able to sort by album artist - sometimes I want to be able to look through /all/ of the albums of one artist, not just the ones tagged with that name).

That said, I don't have a complete understanding of how the sorting system works.  I'm still pretty tempted to buy one of these, but given that so much of what I listen to won't be sorted properly, it might not be very useful for me right now.

If you browse by directory, you can just put them all in the same directory and browse like that.  At the moment, browsing through tags is basically unusable (for me) anyway.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #6,704 of 17,484
  If you browse by directory, you can just put them all in the same directory and browse like that.  At the moment, browsing through tags is basically unusable (for me) anyway.

Yeah, I might have to do that.  iTunes has already sorted them all like that for me, for the most part.  It'll be a huge pain looking for what I want that way though, and I don't think the tracks are all labelled properly...does it sort them all alphabetically, or can it sort them by track number that way?

Also, does it support gapless playback for the browser yet?  I read that it didn't back at launch.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #6,705 of 17,484
  Yeah, I might have to do that.  iTunes has already sorted them all like that for me, for the most part.  It'll be a huge pain looking for what I want that way though, and I don't think the tracks are all labelled properly...does it sort them all alphabetically, or can it sort them by track number that way?

Also, does it support gapless playback for the browser yet?  I read that it didn't back at launch.

In browser mode, it sorts alphabetically at every folder level.  Gapless playback by browser kinda(?) works?  Someone can answer better.  It worked fine for me with FLAC.  AAC works except there's a pop between tracks.  I'm not sure about MP3.

I'd fix the filename labeling beforehand.  It's relatively easy to do as a batched process with foobar or mp3tag.  Browsing by directory is basically the only way I can browse through my library without complicated if/then conditionals, so I'm just used to getting things right down to the folder level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back