The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 25, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #6,661 of 17,483
  Hey guys. Let's be a little objective here. 

Most of you are citing bugs and problems that may not even be problems. I was here for a long time, and most storage bugs that people have problems with were mainly issues with themselves (bad formating, bad cards, incorrect operation) or in where they didn't know about the X3's problem with how many folders it can handle per section.

Sorry, do you mind telling me again how does this work? I am still confused about this issue and how it is as of FW 2.1... :X

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #6,662 of 17,483
This forum is broken.
Five days ago I thought I saw a picture in this very thread showing an adapter sticking out of an x3 to a 128GB SD card. I thought the picture showed the X3 displaying that this adapter and card worked!
I'm thinking, double the capacity, heck yeah!

I assumed the next four days would be people asking where do I get this adapter?
Have you filled it to capacity yet?
Does it work?
Will you make me one of those nice metal SD card holders?

But no, I come back after five days and all anyone wants to yap about is that Fiio hasn't put enough effort into MP3 playback.

Good god! Are you serious?

James, on my X3 I have NO MP3 files. None.
They are all FLAC,files cause um, oh yeah, that's what I personally wanted the X3 for.

Nobody is interested in the 128GB thing? Really? And now I see there is a 256GB SD card. Bonus!

Whomever is doing the 128GB stuff please, tell us more!!!

BTW, MP3s sound better when you wear a tinfoil hat. It sounds silly but it is a proven fact.
(and yellow socks make them sound better still)

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #6,664 of 17,483
Yes sir, that appears to be it. Are you the person who put the pictures up? If so, how is that setup working?

I just ordered one, I assume the 65mm version is plenty.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #6,667 of 17,483
But how does it sound with MP3's???
[Kidding]

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #6,668 of 17,483
*Dies of heart attack* :basshead:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #6,669 of 17,483
I've fully used 128GB SD with my X3.
there is still no problems.

is there a way to fit 2 micro SDs in there?

i know there's a memory stick pro duo adaptor that holds 2 micro SDs, but would that work?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #6,670 of 17,483
  When I'm really like this most of the time.

Keep calm and enjoy your day fellas. 
beerchug.gif
  I'm outta here. 

I think I don´t want to know what you´re doing with your mama
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #6,671 of 17,483
Has anyone else been having these freezing/crashing issues?  I'm copying/pasting from the bug report thread but maybe more people will see it and could help out here.
I've been getting random freezes that I haven't been able to pin point the source of.  The best I can guess is that the X3 does not like it when I press a button around the same time a track is ending/a new track is beginning.  The X3 freezes and becomes unresponsive for several minutes.  After a bit, the screen goes black (maybe due to my pressing/holding the power button repeatedly), and then the screen stays black for a long time until eventually I can power it back up again.  I will try to investigate further.  This is on firmware 2.1.

I am in the middle of a pretty bad freeze.  I'm not sure what's going on, but connecting it to my PC via USB didn't help.  When I did that, I got back to the screen I was on when the X3 froze, but  the device was still unresponsive when using controls.  I did not the see "connected to computer" screen or whatever it says.  However, I was able to access both the internal memory and SDXC card just fine from my computer and make edits (ie, renaming a folder).  Eventually the screen went black again.  I suspect this is just the screen turning off independent of the full machine shutting down.  After ejecting successfully, I'm back to where I was before connecting to the PC.  That is, the screen is black and pressing buttons does not do anything. 

I've also run into this bug where I'm playing an album, then after a few songs, playback stops.  Then I try to re-select the song where it stopped at, and then the player freezes.  That just happened.  I'm trying to get it to un-freeze now.

Those 2 have been pretty frustrating and I don't know why they're happening.

EDIT: My X3 has been frozen for 6 hours now.  Any tips on getting it to un-freeze?

EDIT2: AHH there's a reset button.  Duh and/or hola.  Crisis averted.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #6,673 of 17,483
I got my Fiio X3 in the mail today. Luckily, I'm quite ahead on my homework so I have a lot of free time to mess around with this. So here are a few of my thoughts on the player so far:

1. Fiio needs to include documentation on how to properly format cards above 32 GB. One of the Fiio folks said something about choosing not to include it. I don't think that's right. This is important. If you make a player designed for FLAC and only include 8 GB of internal storage, there should be a very detailed section on how to format a large SD card. This isn't very intuitive because Windows does not give you the option to format FAT32 for drives larger than 32 GB. You have to use a third-party program (I used guiformat). I had to do a bit of looking around to figure out how to set things up properly.

Even when I figured out how to get FAT32 format, I chose the wrong allocation unit size thinking I should just go for the largest one (for reference, choose 32768, not 65536). That was wasted time since I had to wipe the drive and re-format although it did give me extra time to charge it. It's not like I was just sitting there waiting for files to upload either.

2. The sound quality is good. Well, duh. Of course, it is, right? It didn't completely blow my mind, but it's noticeably better than my Cowon J3. I currently have the treble set to 0 and the bass set to 3. I like to use portable rigs to mess around with sound signatures on EQ. I do more analytical/neutral listening on my HD 650 + Headroom Desktop Amp. On first listen, I was a little bothered with the bass. After listening for a while, I think it was mostly due to me adjusting to the different sound signature. The Cowon J3 seems to bump up bass...differently than the Fiio X3. I am trying to decide whether to keep bass at 3 or lower it to 2. I like getting in touch with my inner basshead, but only a little bit. It's also that I feel that the Westone 4R has good bass quality, but it lacks a little bit of quantity which is strange since there's two bass drivers.

3. I wish the X3 would read JPG files the same way as the J3 does by making "cover.jpg" automatically the covert art. Now I have to go back and tag all of my files. It's not a big deal in the long run, but I wish it were something I didn't have to deal with.

4. Obviously there was quite a bit of recent discussion on mp3 distortion. With all of the complaints, I thought the issue would have been bad...like Michael Jackson bad. Turns out it's not even Chris Brown bad! I have mostly FLAC files in my X3 with a few mp3 files. Any noticeable decrease in quality compared to FLAC seems to be mostly from the fact that it's a lower quality file. Then again, I haven't done testing with classical music or anything like that. What I'm saying is that it may bother some people, but it's not going to bother everyone.

5. I don't know if it's the lack of tagging in my FLACs or because they're on the SD card, but I don't see them show up on the sort options. This is kind of annoying. I only see the FLAC files that came with the X3. Bob Saget. I'll continue looking around to see if someone figured out how to deal with this already.

6. I listen to quite a bit of Korean music. I saw this brought up already, but I'm confirming that it still exists: Korean characters don't show up when the player is set to English, but they do when it's set to Korean. They just end up being a bunch of blocks.

7. The DAC feature is awesome. I can have the same good sound quality without having to deal with a clunky UI.
tongue.gif
 I really want to test it with HD 650s, but I'm having issues with one of the drivers so I'll wait. I have a bad feeling that I'm not going to be using my Headroom Desktop Amp anymore. 
redface.gif
 It's crazy that something this cheap can drive full headphones well. The X3 is almost worth getting for the DAC capability alone.

8. I'm including this because I know it's going give a few of you a good chuckle. The first time I listened to it, I stuck the earphone jack in the line out. lol I'm so used to the Cowon J3 so I was thinking it goes in the same spot. I already saw a few pictures from reviews so I knew there was a separate line out and headphone out. For some reason, I just completely forgot about that. It gave me a good jump when the audio blasted into my ears at high volume. It's like the duh moment you get when you hit your head against a ceiling. Here's a good life lesson, folks: make sure you're sticking it in the right hole. Otherwise, someone might get annoyed.

The Fiio X3 is a good player and I'm glad I bought it, but there's a lot of work to be done. If I were the average consumer, I probably would have torn my hair out from frustration. But that's probably to be expected considering this player appeals to a niche market. I wouldn't recommend this to my non-audiophile friends, but I'm willing to put up with the issues for now.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #6,674 of 17,483
I got my Fiio X3 in the mail today. Luckily, I'm quite ahead on my homework so I have a lot of free time to mess around with this. So here are a few of my thoughts on the player so far:

1. Fiio needs to include documentation on how to properly format cards above 32 GB. One of the Fiio folks said something about choosing not to include it. I don't think that's right. This is important. If you make a player designed for FLAC and only include 8 GB of internal storage, there should be a very detailed section on how to format a large SD card. This isn't very intuitive because Windows does not give you the option to format FAT32 for drives larger than 32 GB. You have to use a third-party program (I used guiformat). I had to do a bit of looking around to figure out how to set things up properly.

For reference, the currently preferred way to format SD cards is to upgrade the X3 to the latest firmware and then use the format function in the player, added since FW2.05.

5. I don't know if it's the lack of tagging in my FLACs or because they're on the SD card, but I don't see them show up on the sort options. This is kind of annoying. I only see the FLAC files that came with the X3. Bob Saget. I'll continue looking around to see if someone figured out how to deal with this already.

Did you update the media library? It's set to update manually by default. Go to System settings and hit OK on "Update Lib". Of course, if you didn't tag them, they'd just show up as "unknown" in every category :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6,675 of 17,483
For reference, the currently preferred way to format SD cards is to upgrade the X3 to the latest firmware and then use the format function in the player, added since FW2.05.
Did you update the media library? It's set to update manually by default. Go to System settings and hit OK on "Update Lib". Of course, if you didn't tag them, they'd just show up as "unknown" in every category
redface.gif

I noticed the format function after I had already formatted properly. The first thing I did was update the firmware, though. As for the update, no, I didn't do that. Thanks for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back