The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #14,086 of 17,484
I'm a relative noobie to hi-res DAPs in general, having just bought my first, the FiiO X3, in a Black Friday sale two weeks ago. 

All I can say is... WOW!  I had (and still am) mainly an Ipod/IPhone user (even put some lossless on there), but the X3 is clearly better.

Perhaps the past 12 hours serve as a testament to just how much I enjoy the X3.  I sat down at the end of a long day at about 10 pm yesterday, ready to listen, and...

It  Was GONE!

I actually spent at least 5 hours looking through the whole house for it, plus many sleepless hours last night trying to reconstruct my steps and where I might have left it.  Since last night was "Trash Night," I was also going through our messy garbage roller bin and less messy recycling bin, thinking it may have dropped out of my shirt pocket.

I had resigned myself to losing it and was starting to research DAPs on head-fi.  I found that since I had gotten the X3 in the best of price circumstances, I could not bring myself to order another at current prices, 2-1/2 X higher.  I had to go 5X higher and was looking at the X5 and the iBasso X90.

Well, I finally decided to actually tip the big easy chair next to mine forward and look on the floor.  It had not shown up looking below it but I looked everywhere (including those trash bins) multiple times so looked anyway

There was my X3!

So I have spent the last two hours listening to it through my Grado HP1000 HP1s with Grado HPA-1 amp.  I am particularly fond of the hi-res recording of "Jazz From The Pawnshop," as its live recording and cocktail lounge background noises, while seeming detrimental, actually enhance the listening experience.  Even took my headphones off to answer the phone when one rang from a customer's pocket in the recording!!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #14,087 of 17,484
  Even took my headphones off to answer the phone when one rang from a customer's pocket in the recording!!

biggrin.gif
 the same has happened to me but with voices from Barique/renaissance mass/cantatas LOL! i take my headphones out to answer as some one was yalking to me LOL, just to see it was the recording

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #14,088 of 17,484
  Just received my X3 and loaded up a wide range of 24 bit FLAC content on it, but am having issues (using sennheiser HD600 and

Within the first couple seconds of listening to a track I hear a couple pauses (or skips) for a split second then the rest of the song is fine. I looked all over this thread but could not quite find it being brought up. I'm starting to wonder of the quality of the X3 (or possibly a bad unit)? Or a buffering problem?

If I listen to the same FLAC file on my laptop I do not hear the problem.

Oh, and It arrived with firmware 3.2 and it's formatted in Ex-FAT via Mac Disk Utility. Transcend class 10 SDXC 64GB.

Has anyone else experienced this?

confused_face(1).gif

I am having the same problem with all types of FLAC - even with 44.1khz/16bit. I have had the unit for 6 months or so and the problem seems to be getting worse. Today it skips once or twice near the beginning of every second song or so. 

I'm using X3 with Adata 64GB TF card and Shure 535s. There are about 2500 songs on the card with most of them being FLAC of varying quality and bit rates. Skips happen when the unit is fully charged and when its attached to usb charger. Currently using 3.24 beta but was happening with 3.20 and 3.21 as well. My unit came with an 1.XX version of the software though I don't remember it being noticeably bothersome back then. 

I reloaded firmware versions a few times, no change. Next I'm gonna try reformatting the TF card and reloading music to see if I have a corruption issue (I doubt its that). After that I am out of troubleshooting ideas. Any suggestions?

I like the player overall but if I can't fix this its kind of a deal-breaker... its hard not to physically cringe at each skip.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #14,089 of 17,484

I am having the same problem with all types of FLAC - even with 44.1khz/16bit. I have had the unit for 6 months or so and the problem seems to be getting worse. Today it skips once or twice near the beginning of every second song or so. 

I'm using X3 with Adata 64GB TF card and Shure 535s. There are about 2500 songs on the card with most of them being FLAC of varying quality and bit rates. Skips happen when the unit is fully charged and when its attached to usb charger. Currently using 3.24 beta but was happening with 3.20 and 3.21 as well. My unit came with an 1.XX version of the software though I don't remember it being noticeably bothersome back then. 

I reloaded firmware versions a few times, no change. Next I'm gonna try reformatting the TF card and reloading music to see if I have a corruption issue (I doubt its that). After that I am out of troubleshooting ideas. Any suggestions?

I like the player overall but if I can't fix this its kind of a deal-breaker... its hard not to physically cringe at each skip.

That has never happened to me when i had the unit, I have all FLAC and even 24-bit flac too

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #14,090 of 17,484
Never happened to me either, I think you guys may have faulty units. Perhaps it's a good time to contact the seller and get a replacement.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #14,091 of 17,484
I have noticed with a double CD that I loaded onto my Fiio X3 that when I go to the album in the Artists/Albums folders the songs are on there about 2 or 3 times and all out of order and in one long list of 30 songs when there are only 15 songs in total.  But when I go to Browse Files, the album is perfect as it shows as two cds in the right order and right number of tracks?  Anyone know why? How do I fix this? 

I'm not an expert but...

Sounds like either the database is corrupted or the tags are wrong.

To fix the database try taking out the sd card and update the library, then put the sd card back in and update the library again.

If that doesn't work check the tags on your files.

Hope 1 of these methods fix's it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #14,092 of 17,484
Any brave souls take a chance on the non-sandisk 128gb micro sd cards on Amazon yet? The have lexar (also on bhphoto as pre order), pny, samsung, all sold by amazon themselves. Sucky thing is that they're not any cheaper than the sandisk at the moment (actually tiger-direct has the pny for ~$65, but that's after some rebate bs)

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #14,093 of 17,484
Thanks for all the info. Since I'm not using In-Ear Heaphones, I guess the regular E12 would be more suitable.

I wonder why the iPhone wouldn't work with the X3? Is it because it draws too much power from the iPhone?

The X3 so far does not have an option to turn off charging from usb when in usb dac mode.
I use the X3 as usb dac with an ipad 3 but I have an (unpowered) camera kt/usb hub in between which basically lies to the ipad. Ipad and iphone check for the power consumption of usb devices. The usb hub misreports power consumption I believe and therefore allows the X3 to work.. starting with ios6, and improved with ios7, it is possible to use usb dacs.

It would be great if Fiio could add an option to turn usb charging off when in usb dac mode so that usage with portable devices like iphone is improved.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #14,094 of 17,484

I would first try a different micro sd card preferably a sandisk or samsung evo. Or test your sd card with some free pc software for read/write speeds and integrity to rule out that the card is the problem.
You could also try resetting the fiio and recreating the database.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #14,095 of 17,484

Did you format the card with the X3? After this you can troubleshoot other possibilities.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #14,097 of 17,484
Did you format the card with the X3? After this you can troubleshoot other possibilities.

I would first try a different micro sd card preferably a sandisk or samsung evo. Or test your sd card with some free pc software for read/write speeds and integrity to rule out that the card is the problem.
You could also try resetting the fiio and recreating the database.

So I got less lazy and repeated troubleshooting one by one with testing after. 
- reloaded the firmware
- formatted the card with the X3
- reloaded the files on the SD
- refreshed the media library
- replaced the adata 64GB SDXC card with another and tried it all again - this fixed it

Seems it was the Adata SD card that crapped the bed. Wish I checked that first.

Thanks for the input folks. I'll be less lazy before posting next time :)

Within the first couple seconds of listening to a track I hear a couple pauses (or skips) for a split second then the rest of the song is fine. I looked all over this thread but could not quite find it being brought up. I'm starting to wonder of the quality of the X3 (or possibly a bad unit)? Or a buffering problem?

This description matches what I was seeing. Maybe your SD card has also soiled itself. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #14,098 of 17,484
So I got less lazy and repeated troubleshooting one by one with testing after. 
- reloaded the firmware
- formatted the card with the X3
- reloaded the files on the SD
- refreshed the media library
- replaced the adata 64GB SDXC card with another and tried it all again - this fixed it

Seems it was the Adata SD card that crapped the bed. Wish I checked that first.

Thanks for the input folks. I'll be less lazy before posting next time :)

This description matches what I was seeing. Maybe your SD card has also soiled itself. 

I'm not slamming any manufacturers, but I've read about more than one issue with Adata cards. On the other hand some people love them. Go figure. :wink:

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #14,100 of 17,484
Ok well I've had nothing but problems since I got this Fiio and I am very frustrated.  It is probably me as I'm used to iPod but anyway I don't know what to do.  My questions are:
1. I have transferred some of my Artist Folders on my mac onto the disk but when I go to the Fiio and click on the particular artist the device just freezes.  Then when I check the folder it says zero bytes and just has some weird execute type screen as the folder icon. What is going on and how do I fix this?
2.  Do you always format your discs before you use them? I checked my disc and it is already formatted as MS DOS which I believe is the same as FAT32 so it should be right.
3.  What are tags I keep hearing about and how do they work.

Sorry for the questions but I am getting really frustrated.

Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back