The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #14,101 of 17,484
The X3 so far does not have an option to turn off charging from usb when in usb dac mode.
I use the X3 as usb dac with an ipad 3 but I have an (unpowered) camera kt/usb hub in between which basically lies to the ipad. Ipad and iphone check for the power consumption of usb devices. The usb hub misreports power consumption I believe and therefore allows the X3 to work.. starting with ios6, and improved with ios7, it is possible to use usb dacs.

It would be great if Fiio could add an option to turn usb charging off when in usb dac mode so that usage with portable devices like iphone is improved.

Wait, so it IS possible to use the iPhone as a usb DAC? I don't mind using a hub to get it working.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #14,102 of 17,484
Ok well I've had nothing but problems since I got this Fiio and I am very frustrated.  It is probably me as I'm used to iPod but anyway I don't know what to do.  My questions are:
1. I have transferred some of my Artist Folders on my mac onto the disk but when I go to the Fiio and click on the particular artist the device just freezes.  Then when I check the folder it says zero bytes and just has some weird execute type screen as the folder icon. What is going on and how do I fix this?
2.  Do you always format your discs before you use them? I checked my disc and it is already formatted as MS DOS which I believe is the same as FAT32 so it should be right.
3.  What are tags I keep hearing about and how do they work.

Sorry for the questions but I am getting really frustrated.

Thanks 

You should insert your card in the X3, navigate to the settings menu, select format (this will properly format the card), load your music, and then update the library. The only thing loaded on the card should be folders and music files.

Tags are indentifiers embedded in the file such as the name of the artist, the album name, the year, the composer, etc,. You can see them when you right click on a track and select 'Get Info' in iTunes.

If it still doesn't work try a different card if you can.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #14,104 of 17,484
Wait, so it IS possible to use the iPhone as a usb DAC? I don't mind using a hub to get it working.

No it's not possible to use the iPhone as a DAC. What might be possible is to use the x3 as a DAC for your iPhone :wink:

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #14,106 of 17,484
Yes, that's what I meant
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was  
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #14,107 of 17,484
So, I formatted mine first to fat32 since I won't have the x3 for a few days. All my music is already loaded to the sd card, you guys are saying this may not work? I can just transfer it to a new folder on my external and RE format in the x3 when I get it if that's likely to cause no issues. It's a 64gb class 10 brand new SanDisk btw

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #14,108 of 17,484
So, I formatted mine first to fat32 since I won't have the x3 for a few days. All my music is already loaded to the sd card, you guys are saying this may not work? I can just transfer it to a new folder on my external and RE format in the x3 when I get it if that's likely to cause no issues. It's a 64gb class 10 brand new SanDisk btw

Why don't u try the card as it is once u get x3...maybe update the music library after u insert the card with music on it already and for some reason it causes problems transfer music to laptop then format card inside x3 then transfer files again

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #14,109 of 17,484
Why don't u try the card as it is once u get x3...maybe update the music library after u insert the card with music on it already and for some reason it causes problems transfer music to laptop then format card inside x3 then transfer files again

Well that was/is the plan. Thing is I'm forced to wait for the x3 until Xmas. Me and the wife decided we'd buy our own gifts but wait to open. So, I want to try and have this thing ready to go. I'm very impatient and want to do whatever's going to get the x3 going the fastest. So if from experience here, if it seems letting the x3 format it before loading music is best I suppose I'll do that. But it'll take a while to then load 62 gigs back onto the sd card. Anyhow sorry for the rant, just really looking forward to my first (but far from last) dap besides my iPod touch.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #14,110 of 17,484
Well that was/is the plan. Thing is I'm forced to wait for the x3 until Xmas. Me and the wife decided we'd buy our own gifts but wait to open. So, I want to try and have this thing ready to go. I'm very impatient and want to do whatever's going to get the x3 going the fastest. So if from experience here, if it seems letting the x3 format it before loading music is best I suppose I'll do that. But it'll take a while to then load 62 gigs back onto the sd card. Anyhow sorry for the rant, just really looking forward to my first (but far from last) dap besides my iPod touch.

It'll take around 45-60min to transfer 62gb connected directly to the X3. If using a card reader it'll be much faster, but make sure you format it with the X3 first. This will save a lot of headache down the road.

So set it to transfer, eat some breakfast, then enjoy! :wink:

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #14,112 of 17,484
I flashed beta firmware to test EQ and I am glad that I ordered x3 with hardware treble and bass, its much more cleaner and effortless than EQ... EQ is no good here and I guess it should be same in x5... But hardware bass specially is lot and lot cleaner on my nad viso hp50 headphone it just need few dbs of bass boost without any tweak and I am getting the cleanest sound... More than happy with my purchase

Thanks guys here for helping me decide

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #14,113 of 17,484
I flashed beta firmware to test EQ and I am glad that I ordered x3 with hardware treble and bass, its much more cleaner and effortless than EQ... EQ is no good here and I guess it should be same in x5... But hardware bass specially is lot and lot cleaner on my nad viso hp50 headphone it just need few dbs of bass boost without any tweak and I am getting the cleanest sound... More than happy with my purchase

Thanks guys here for helping me decide

I agree I love the hardware base and treble. It's definitely cleaner in my opinion. With the X3 I usually keep the base and treble set to zero unless an album is really lacking in base.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #14,114 of 17,484
I am thinking about getting an X3, (I understand there is a new version coming in the next 2-3 months ? Not sure if that is software or hardware) however I would like it to kinda do some of the things that my present iPod will do. I unfortunately do not have time to read all 942 pages in this thread.

So .. can I make multiple playlists ?  And if I cannot .. can I put the files from my present playlists into separate folders and shuffle only the songs in that folder. I see there is a shuffle option but will it play songs from a folder or all your songs on the X3 .. that part is unclear.

Now I always play a playlist.  As long as I can put the needed files in a folder and just shuffle that folder in the X3 .. I will be good and do not really need playlists.

I have read the owners manual .. but it is not very detailed.

Thanks ..
- Kevin -

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #14,115 of 17,484
Hello Kevin,

I'm not sure when the new X3 will be out, but I guess the hardware will change like it did for the fiio e10/e10k, e17/e17k and so on.
The software will probably be tweaked a little if the new X3 has a wheel like the X1/X5.

You can make multiple playlist and shuffle per playlist, artist, folder and album, so you don't need to worry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back