The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #14,071 of 17,484
You might give the 3.24b a try I had a few issues with 3.2 and have none with the new fw. except for how the battery icon displays but that is minor to me

Can't load different FW with Ex-FAT. :wink:

From Joe at FiiO

Hello,

The X3 will be able to read music files off an ExFAT formatted card once upgraded to 3.00EX. Before that though, you need an FAT32 formatted card with which to do firmware upgrades. In fact, you always need an FAT32 formatted card to do firmware upgrades regardless of what other formats the X3 can normally read for music playing (many versions of firmware have been able to support NTFS formatted cards, for example, but still require a FAT32 card for firmware upgrades.)

You say you're running FW2.1 right now. You can easily obtain a FAT32 formatted card by formatting the card with the X3 itself via System Settings->Storage formatting. Then you can put any firmware of your choice on the card and run the upgrade :)

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
FiiO

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #14,072 of 17,484
  Can't do a direct copy. Have to rip to computer then transfer. The method you listed would work (I assume you're on a mac, so I'll leave it to others to make suggestions on software choices)

Any small portable battery-powered high-quality CD player that gives you the digital stream via USB output so you can put it into your own DAC/amp?  Sort of like the Sony Disk Walkman but with digital USB output added.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #14,073 of 17,484
  Just received my X3 and loaded up a wide range of 24 bit FLAC content on it, but am having issues (using sennheiser HD600 and

Within the first couple seconds of listening to a track I hear a couple pauses (or skips) for a split second then the rest of the song is fine. I looked all over this thread but could not quite find it being brought up. I'm starting to wonder of the quality of the X3 (or possibly a bad unit)? Or a buffering problem?

If I listen to the same FLAC file on my laptop I do not hear the problem.

Oh, and It arrived with firmware 3.2 and it's formatted in Ex-FAT via Mac Disk Utility. Transcend class 10 SDXC 64GB.

Has anyone else experienced this?

confused_face(1).gif

Other things to consider.....
Possibly the file got corrupted during the copy to the sd card. Try recopying and see if it works then.
Try a flac to flac (or another lossless format) conversion. I've had a few files that were wonky this way. A reconvert did the trick (just don't try lossy to lossless, a waste of time and space)

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #14,074 of 17,484
Although I basicly agrees with you there's cases where one thing is clearly technical superior to another although they've got different signatures and one might still prefer the technically worse one due to personal preference but still recognise the other as technically better. Did that make sense?
wink.gif

Anyway I would have thought the X5 were on another level.......

Some think it is, some don't.  Would you rather people go by measurements or their ears? 
tongue.gif

Can't do a direct copy. Have to rip to computer then transfer. The method you listed would work (I assume you're on a mac, so I'll leave it to others to make suggestions on software choices)

Connect your DAP to your computer in USB Transfer mode and post your ripping software to the DAP.  Simple as that.  I've done it many times.

<SNIP>

As far as quality difference between the X3 and X5 I would say the X5 is a 9 and the X3 is a 7.5-8 overall. I'm reserving the 10 for players like AK240 ($2400) or the upcoming X7 (hopefully). I find the iPod classic to be a 5 and the iPhone 5s to be a 6 out of 10. To me the amp just isn't good enough on these iDevices to give good dynamics. The DAC implementation in these units I find to be not as resolving either. There is a certain veil from smartphones, etc., that the FiiO players don't have and the X5 is clearer than the X3. I'm sure many others are enjoying their smartphones and iDevices with their headphones/earphones but not me. Warning! With better/more resolving players your audio files will need to be good quality or you'll clearly hear it on the FiiO players. The entire audio chain becomes important after a certain level.

<SNIP>

Agreed.  I also find X5 suits my tastes better for a neutral DAP.  And it kicks my iPod Videp (Gen 5.5) to the curb!  Some seem to prefer the X3, however, and I'm not going rain on their parade, as there are things I really like about the X3 - like the hardware bass & treble controls.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #14,075 of 17,484

Any small portable battery-powered high-quality CD player that gives you the digital stream via USB output so you can put it into your own DAC/amp?  Sort of like the Sony Disk Walkman but with digital USB output added.

Probably not. I think the X3 will only work as a USB DAC in the computer realm. The big problem is that in dac mode it will try to charge the battery which ends up being too much of a current draw for tablets/smart phones/etc.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #14,076 of 17,484
Probably not. I think the X3 will only work as a USB DAC in the computer realm. The big problem is that in dac mode it will try to charge the battery which ends up being too much of a current draw for tablets/smart phones/etc.

Not strictly true.

Current smartphones / tablets have an MHL adapter which has USB out to a charger.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #14,078 of 17,484
  Connect your DAP to your computer in USB Transfer mode and post point your ripping software to the DAP.  Simple as that.  I've done it many times.

Huh. Never occurred to me to try that. Makes sense now that you bring it up.

Opps.  I made a typo.  I blame it on the Manhattan I just had before dinner 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #14,081 of 17,484
saj2001ind Warning....... Very long post based on my opinion

One thing to remember is that the amp should be as transparent as possible, whether it's in a DAP or desktop unit or portable amp. The noise rejection and rendering of the digital file from bits to an analogue signal sent to the amp section is done with the the DAC. Remember the amp should represent power and dynamics and the DAC represents sound signature and detail. This isn't always exclusive but a general understanding. If the DAC is warm, the player will be warm. If the DAC is resolving, the player will be resolving. Of course this is under the assumption that the amp has a low noise floor with little distortion, which the better FiiO amps have, including the one in the X3.

As for the X3 amp it's very powerful (slightly more than the X5) and will be able to power a wide range of headphones, especially with low/high gain. The treble/bass controls are very nice and easy to tailor the output to match the signature you desire. The EQ in the X5 isn't as nice IMO, but does the job. As mentioned, in order to prevent clipping FiiO has dropped the volume by 6db on all custom EQ settings.

Two ways to use this (proper) implementation on the X5 are:

1. Raise all the sliders up to max and cut the frequencies that are too overwhelming. This is what I do. For example: if the treble is too high then I reduce the treble relative to the bass so the balance is bass heavy on the output.

2. Adjust the slider up only in the frequencies you want to boost and raise the overall volume to compensate for the 6db preamp reduction. The volume adjustment works out to be around 12 units on the volume scale. This will bring the volume up to pre-preamp reduction.

On the X3 it's: I want more bass so I increase bass. Easy, and sounds very musical (ie, not digital relative to software EQ).

As far as quality difference between the X3 and X5 I would say the X5 is a 9 and the X3 is a 7.5-8 overall. I'm reserving the 10 for players like AK240 ($2400) or the upcoming X7 (hopefully). I find the iPod classic to be a 5 and the iPhone 5s to be a 6 out of 10. To me the amp just isn't good enough on these iDevices to give good dynamics. The DAC implementation in these units I find to be not as resolving either. There is a certain veil from smartphones, etc., that the FiiO players don't have and the X5 is clearer than the X3. I'm sure many others are enjoying their smartphones and iDevices with their headphones/earphones but not me. Warning! With better/more resolving players your audio files will need to be good quality or you'll clearly hear it on the FiiO players. The entire audio chain becomes important after a certain level.

At the end of the day this is all my perspective and you need to go down your own road to find what works best for you. Sorry for your wallet! Remember, you don't need to race to the end game. Enjoy the journey and learn as you go. That's part of the fun.
No, you don't need the e18 with the X3 as the amp in the X3 is as powerful as the e18 amp, but you can try it out before you sell it. No, X3 + e18 won't get you X5 quality because the X5 DAC implementation is different than the X3.

Thanks a lot buddy for making me understand these stuffs in details.. Ordered x3 today will come back once I rec3uve it :)

I can't believe someone is trying to decide whether to buy an X3 or not... Lol

Its a no brainer decision imo

I am not deciding to buy x3 but wanted to know if x5 would have be3n a significant upgrade and should I but x5 directly.. But it's like 2wice the price so had these clarification

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #14,082 of 17,484
I have noticed with a double CD that I loaded onto my Fiio X3 that when I go to the album in the Artists/Albums folders the songs are on there about 2 or 3 times and all out of order and in one long list of 30 songs when there are only 15 songs in total.  But when I go to Browse Files, the album is perfect as it shows as two cds in the right order and right number of tracks?  Anyone know why? How do I fix this? 

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #14,083 of 17,484
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #14,084 of 17,484
More than likely a formatting issue. It is ALWAYS recommended to format the card using the X3 as that will give you the proper allocation unit size and the best format for the card (FAT32). Ex-FAT support was added later due to people complaining that it wasn't supported, but it isn't the native format that the X3 prefers. Also, you can not upgrade the FW using Ex-FAT as far as I know.

Not all disk formatting software is created equal. Use the device to format and then load your files.

Another issue may be the card itself. If the format doesn't fix the issue then try another card. I've never had problems with Sandisk. Not all cards are created equal, even if they have the same rating, but your current card should be fine.

Edit: Just want to point out that comparing a computer to a DAP with limited resources isn't fair. The X3 has a lot less RAM to buffer the music so the variables need to be lined up better for smooth playback. The card should only contain music in folders and small artwork (500x500). Also, make sure you have 'Gapless' turned on to be sure that isn't part of the issue.

Thank you for this suggestion, I reformatted the card to FAT32 instead of ex-fat. Led Zeppelin never sounded better! (Paired with a grado)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back