The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #16,636 of 17,484
Thanks, b
Depending on when he bought it (he mentioned he bought it when it first came out) then the option to format the card with the player may not be present as that was introduced in later firmware after many users had problems with card formats. Also, earlier firmware doesn't recognize exFAT. I suggest he take the 32gb card that was working and load the most recent FW on it and do an update if he can't find the format option in the System Settings.
Thanks but will the new FW change the sound ? I like it on the warm side.

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #16,637 of 17,484
x3 format menu ?

System Settings/Storage Format but as already mentioned it was not present in the first firmware(s).

I would the say the sound stayed the same but other opinions can differ.
If you don't like it, you can always go back to older firmware.

Software for testing if the card is OK: http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #16,638 of 17,484
Thanks for the help. I formatted the 64 gig card to 32 by downloading a free software in order to format it correctly. Now the Xe3 is able to read my 64 gig card ! Thanks !

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #16,640 of 17,484
Depending on when he bought it (he mentioned he bought it when it first came out) then the option to format the card with the player may not be present as that was introduced in later firmware after many users had problems with card formats. Also, earlier firmware doesn't recognize exFAT. I suggest he take the 32gb card that was working and load the most recent FW on it and do an update if he can't find the format option in the System Settings.

Wow. I completely forgot the x3 didn't format out of the box. Shows how far the little guy has come.

IMO, none of the FW made any change to the sq. Some may claim otherwise.

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #16,641 of 17,484
  Wow. I completely forgot the x3 didn't format out of the box. Shows how far the little guy has come.

IMO, none of the FW made any change to the sq. Some may claim otherwise.

Before firmware 3.0 came out, there was a horrible crackling background noise on all tracks that were Mp3. Very noticeable on quiet tracks. To me on my open backed AT ATH-AD700s 3.34b is a huge step over the early firmwares. The treble has more sparkle to it and it sounds more open and spacious. Pretty easy to tell apart if you compare the same track on both. That is if it is a good recording. Maybe it is more noticeable on different headphones.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #16,642 of 17,484

Before firmware 3.0 came out, there was a horrible crackling background noise on all tracks that were Mp3. Very noticeable on quiet tracks. To me on my open backed AT ATH-AD700s 3.34b is a huge step over the early firmwares. The treble has more sparkle to it and it sounds more open and spacious. Pretty easy to tell apart if you compare the same track on both. That is if it is a good recording. Maybe it is more noticeable on different headphones.

Huge step indeed. More detail/micro-detail, more sparkle, more open and spacious sound, no doubts.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #16,645 of 17,484
Yes, I would agree that some of the firmware revisions did alter the sound signature.  I thought 3.34b was pretty good; and agree that 2.14b was also noteworthy.

Now I wonder just how closely this older unit can match the newer units.  The mid-bass coloration was something that I tuned out until I heard units without that "feature".

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #16,646 of 17,484
I bought the DX50, DX90, AK 100II, AK120II, X5, SONY 100 (NEW DAP) and I still prefer the original X3 for only the sound. All the other daps have great fun UIs but the sound from the X3 just does it better. X3 bass hits hard and treble snaps harder and by adding a Headstage Arrow amp pow soundstage opens up and the Treble extends.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #16,647 of 17,484
I bought the DX50, DX90, AK 100II, AK120II, X5, SONY 100 (NEW DAP) and I still prefer the original X3 for only the sound. All the other daps have great fun UIs but the sound from the X3 just does it better. X3 bass hits hard and treble snaps harder and by adding a Headstage Arrow amp pow soundstage opens up and the Treble extends.

@ jmills8, just wanted to ask about the X3 and combo Arrow 5TX posted in "our lounge" 
biggrin.gif

Me too seems a dap with fantastic abilities bass head. I do not remember if you have SZ2000 as just wanted to try the synergy X3 + Arrow + JVC SZ2000. It would be very portable yet.

Sorry for off topic!!

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #16,648 of 17,484
@ jmills8, just wanted to ask about the X3 and combo Arrow 5TX posted in "our lounge" :D

Me too seems a dap with fantastic abilities bass head. I do not remember if you have SZ2000 as just wanted to try the synergy X3 + Arrow + JVC SZ2000. It would be very portable yet.

Sorry for off topic!!
Great info will try.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #16,650 of 17,484
Oh, I think I misspoke :xf_eek:  , rather, I asked you if you had tried this combination and to give me your impressions. I'm interested above all, the issue of portability with the x3 and Arrow. The arrow will make vibrate my JVC SZ2000 and add to it a little more treble to remove some the veil?

Thank you.
I have not demoed that headphone but the Arrow the 5TX has a big soundstage and it brings out the Mids and Treble better than the previous model and it has a Treble boost with two stages that can open the veil on dark Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back